Author Topic: Change  (Read 503 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Change
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »
I drove through the town I was born in today and was amazed by the amount of change that has gone on there.  Trump is building a 25 plus story building and there are many others going up too.  It was a shock so much was different I hardly recognized it.  It was depressing so much of what I grew up with is gone.  I know it's what they called progress but damn it's like a different place.  My town that I live in now is changing too but when you live with it you don't notice as much as it's gradual.  Today was a shocker but I guess its the same for everyone
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Change
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 03:23:51 AM »
It was the opposite way for me, I saw an old school I went to on Google Streetview and it looked a lot better than when I used to go (when it was first built), it has loads of trees and plants there.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 05:57:26 AM »
I recently went back to the town I grew up in for a look around, and not much had changed.  Some fields and a hill near near where I'd lived had been built up with houses and an old wool mill had been demolished, but that was about the extent of it.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 06:29:36 AM »
The town where I went to school (Garrett Park, MD)  hasn't changed at all. It's still a lovely old town with lovely old houses and trees and sidewalks wide enough for two people to walk abreast on. It's small enough that it couldn't grow if it wanted to. The nearby town, Kensington, has retained a lot of its character too. Rockville, OTOH, is shit.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline klox

• Constant Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:31:00 AM »
I grew up all over the place, we never stayed put in one place for longer than 3 years. This concept of feeling sad or in some way disrupted by change is a bit alien to me.

I sometimes wonder what will happen first though. The urbanisation of all urbanisable area on the planet or the self-induced extinction of the human race.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
I grew up in many places also but this was one of the main ones.  The other Sarasota Fl I have been told also I would not recognize anything  When I lived there they build I-75 12 miles outside of town in the swamp and scrub which we made fun of.  Now town goes miles beyond it :-[

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 02:01:25 PM »
I grew up all over the place, we never stayed put in one place for longer than 3 years. This concept of feeling sad or in some way disrupted by change is a bit alien to me.

Agreed. I find it cool and exciting.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 02:44:22 PM »
My home town has change to the point where I have difficulty finding my way. I don't care; it's not my town anymore.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 02:11:48 AM »
My home town looked depressed when I went back there.  The grocery stores were gone, so people had to buy their groceries at the Super Wal-Mart.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 03:07:48 AM »
I sometimes wonder what will happen first though. The urbanisation of all urbanisable area on the planet or the self-induced extinction of the human race.

I'm hoping that humans will colonise space and decouple their fortunes as a species from the fortunes of any single planet.  Extinction is inevitable, eventually, but in space, humans could survive in some form or another for billions or trillions of years, while we'd be fortunate to survive a few million on this disaster-prone little rock.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 05:18:42 AM »

I'm hoping that humans will colonise space and decouple their fortunes as a species from the fortunes of any single planet.  Extinction is inevitable, eventually, but in space, humans could survive in some form or another for billions or trillions of years, while we'd be fortunate to survive a few million on this disaster-prone little rock.

:plus:  Sooner the better

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 09:57:34 AM »

:plus:  Sooner the better

I'm leaving or they're leaving, either way.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 11:46:19 AM »
Vancouver, WA has sure changed. I know what was built there since I've lived there and what wasn't there when we moved. The neighborhood we lived in is no longer the suburbs, the city came out to it lol. But when I was in sixth grade, the city redrew the city line and our neighborhood was now in the city and two years later, there was a Walgreens, Blockbuster, Wendys, a Grocery store that shut down, and a bunch of other places in the parking lot where Walgreens is. But they were building a gas station then. The whole area looked weird because the road was wider and I could hardly recognize the area but I knew it was where our old neighborhood is because I knew the route. Back then it was all fields but started to build more houses across from my school starting 6th grade.

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 05:09:50 PM »
My old neighborhood is unrecognizable.  Makes me sad, because I miss my old house so much.  My husband and I built it together the first year we were married, and leaving it was something I don't seem to have dealt with very well.  Strange, to get so attached to a building.  :-\
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »

I'm hoping that aspies will colonise space and decouple their fortunes as a species from the fortunes of any single planet.  Extinction is inevitable, eventually, but in space, aspies could survive in some form or another for billions or trillions of years, while we'd be fortunate to survive a few million on this disaster-prone little rock.
Fixed ;)