Author Topic: Web Masters  (Read 343 times)

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Web Masters
« on: August 20, 2008, 04:56:02 AM »
To any web builders here, I am researching for prices of static websites.

How much would you charge for around a 10 paged static website? Prices regarding domains and hosting not included.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fi.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
Re: Web Masters
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 05:13:25 AM »
I paid $70US per year for my website.  It had several gigs of storage, and a lot of bandwidth allowed.

I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 05:14:41 AM »
I paid $70US per year for my website.  It had several gigs of storage, and a lot of bandwidth allowed.

But that would have been for your hosting and domain though, wouldn't it? I'm just wondering about labour charges of actually making the site :)

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 05:16:01 AM »
Oh!  I misunderstood.

I wouldn't know the first thing about that...  sorry.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »
This site does an easy build system, if your having difficulty building the thing:
http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hosting;jsessionid=67900A24B810E12B6703C41CAFB4A14D.TC60b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

For a basic site, most developers charge around £50 a page, i.e. a lot.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 06:37:21 AM »
This site does an easy build system, if your having difficulty building the thing:
http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hosting;jsessionid=67900A24B810E12B6703C41CAFB4A14D.TC60b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

That's just for a static site?

My problem is people are suggesting rates of such a high contrast that I am unable to get a happy medium. Someone suggested I charge $50 NZD for a site, which would be approx £16 or £17.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 06:42:17 AM »

My problem is people are suggesting rates of such a high contrast that I am unable to get a happy medium. Someone suggested I charge $50 NZD for a site, which would be approx £16 or £17.
Some people want different things from a static site. Rather than charging a flat amount for a site, set yourself an hourly wage. After doing a few sites you should be able to gauge how long a site will take. Though if you want to see what other people are charging, look in the classified of your local newspaper.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 06:48:40 AM »

Some people want different things from a static site. Rather than charging a flat amount for a site, set yourself an hourly wage. After doing a few sites you should be able to gauge how long a site will take. Though if you want to see what other people are charging, look in the classified of your local newspaper.

Thing is with an hourly wage, something could really mess it up and you'd have to spend shitloads more time on it, and make the price unreasonable. I guess that should be taken into account in areas such as risk management, the newspaper doesn't really offer anything in this country like that, but i've been having a look around the net.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 07:03:33 AM »

Thing is with an hourly wage, something could really mess it up and you'd have to spend shitloads more time on it, and make the price unreasonable. I guess that should be taken into account in areas such as risk management, the newspaper doesn't really offer anything in this country like that, but i've been having a look around the net.
Nah, what I am saying is set an hourly wage, guess how long the website will take roughly and multiply up to give a quote + add in your costs. By newspaper I means something low circulation, more like a local magazine. Quite a lot of places do them.

Btw, how is your website getting along?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 03:55:21 PM »

You're right that it should be taken into account as risk management.

I've done the same kind of pricing for freelance web design gigs. As a college student getting a computer art degree I charged between $10 and $20/h for my time, plus costs. As I got more experience I could get away with charging more. Often it took longer than I anticipated, but the clients I worked with were small-scale enough that they couldn't have afforded me at a realistic per-hour wage, and I needed the experience for my resume so I did the work anyway.

Part of the huge discrepancy in costs is because clients are paying for a lot more than a website. They're paying for professionalism, timely responses to emails and calls, a good understanding of what's realistic to expect a freelance designer to do (since many clients have never commissioned a website before and haven't the foggiest what kind of source material to provide), professional-looking office space for in-person meetings, transportation to on-site consultations, etc. So on the lower end you have the high school and college students doing sites as favors to entrepreneurial friends and family, and they charge next to nothing because it's all the clients can afford. And on the higher end you have pros who will do quality product photography, write good web copy, are experts at user interface design, etc.

So it all depends how you're marketing yourself. The more professional you appear, the higher-profile clients you can attract, and the more you can get away with charging for the same kind of basic site.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.