Educational

Author Topic: Car accident  (Read 814 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Car accident
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 06:32:39 AM »
One block away from my house is a street that the city has opened up as a "bypass" through the residential areas. The fire department and police use it as a way to jump to the other side of town going north or south. Our little side street has also been widened and turned into a way to skip across town east/west.

Yesterday I was under my car, changing the oil, when I heard brakes screeching then a crash, then another crash. It was not serious, just stupid.
A kid had tried to whip off a left turn from the north/south street onto our east west street in front of an oncoming car, but a utility company had the side street closed so a man-in-a-hole could do stuff underground.

Apparently, the kid realized that the road was blocked and stopped in the middle of his left turn in front of the oncoming car, who could NOT stop. The oncoming car banged into the kid's car head-on, then bounced off and smashed into the utility truck.

I rolled out from beneath my car to have a look and there were five people standing around already talking on cell phones. No one was hurt, apparently, but everyone's insurance will go up, because a kid who should have been in school won't take the time to drive safely. Probably a one second pause on the kid's part would have prevented the whole affair.

:lol:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:34:36 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 08:05:38 PM »
Saw a truck get stuck under a railroad bridge yesterday.  It almost made it but the last bit of the bridge ripped off some of the trucks roof :lol: can't these people read :hahaha:

I saw that happening in Spokane in 2004. I wasn't even 19 yet and my mother and I had to go to Spokane to pick up my father from the airport and my aunt Mary came along. We all decided to go there early so we can spend our day there and we were in downtown and we see cones on the road and we see a truck under the bridge and it was stuck. The driver was standing in front of it with another guy.

I don't know if it's not that people can't read, they probably don't know their truck is too high to go under. If you don't know how high your vehicle is, how are you going to know. Well people should be using their common sense. My parents drive an RV and they do not go in drive throughs because they don't want to take the chance and I know they would not try going under the bridges in Spokane. Even I wouldn't want to be taking the chance.

But I wonder how they get trucks and RVs unstuck.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 08:12:56 PM »
One block away from my house is a street that the city has opened up as a "bypass" through the residential areas. The fire department and police use it as a way to jump to the other side of town going north or south. Our little side street has also been widened and turned into a way to skip across town east/west.

Yesterday I was under my car, changing the oil, when I heard brakes screeching then a crash, then another crash. It was not serious, just stupid.
A kid had tried to whip off a left turn from the north/south street onto our east west street in front of an oncoming car, but a utility company had the side street closed so a man-in-a-hole could do stuff underground.

Apparently, the kid realized that the road was blocked and stopped in the middle of his left turn in front of the oncoming car, who could NOT stop. The oncoming car banged into the kid's car head-on, then bounced off and smashed into the utility truck.

I rolled out from beneath my car to have a look and there were five people standing around already talking on cell phones. No one was hurt, apparently, but everyone's insurance will go up, because a kid who should have been in school won't take the time to drive safely. Probably a one second pause on the kid's part would have prevented the whole affair.

:lol:

I did not know your insurence goes up if you are a witness to a car accident. I thought it only went up if you were involved.

My boyfriend almost saw one yesterday. We were at the bus stop waiting and I was just pacing around waiting and my boyfriend happened to be looking at the road. A small car pulls out and there was a car coming and the car had pulled out right in front of it. The person in the car slammed on it's break honking it's horn. That got my attention and I looked up at the direction and I see a car in front of another car and the person in it drives. My boyfriend tells me there was almost an accident. I asked him why and he says the car pulled out right in front of the other car and he had to slam on his breaks. I said, "He was lucky the roads were dry or there would have been one." Then I said if the roads were dry for me, I would have also made it, referring to my own car wreck.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 09:53:15 PM »
He means that everyone's premiums go up because someone fucked up. The insurance company has to recoup the cost from the kid that fucked up, and the person who pranged into him. so they hit everyone else to cover the cost of the payout. That's why they are such arseholes, and why it's so hard to fight them to get anything worth much in the way of a settlement. If they didn't, they would see any reason to offer cover in the first place.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 10:55:32 PM »

I did not know your insurence goes up if you are a witness to a car accident. I thought it only went up if you were involved.

Witnessing has nothing to do with it. Any time an insurance company has to pay out a settlement of any sort the eventuality is that their rates increase across the board, to all their customers - not just the ones at fault. Of course, that allows ALL the other insurance companies in existence to raise their rates sympathetically and still remain competitive in the market.

Three vehicles were involved and most likely three insurance companies hold various coverage policies. Even though ONE person was at fault and "his daddy's" insurance company will have to pay out more than the others, the other two insurance companies still have to spend money (in the form of retaining a legal team) to protect themselves from the one company which will end up paying out the most.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:03:32 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 11:25:38 PM »
I guess I misunderstood. You did say there were five people around talking on cell phones which I assumed were the witnesses and they were all calling the police or calling someone telling them they are going to be late because they saw a car accident, and now everyone's insurence will go up so that's what gave me the wrong idea there. I already knew your car insurence goes up when you are in a car accident, even if you weren't at fault.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 01:43:21 AM »
4 out of the 5 would have been 'rubberneckers'.

Ever see a prang and then se all the people gawping out the windows as they pass> Same effect. They may have been appearing to have report it, but only one of them was. Hell, the Youtube vid of it would have been taken by at least one of those 'witnesses'.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 07:50:17 AM »
4 out of the 5 would have been 'rubberneckers'.

Ever see a prang and then se all the people gawping out the windows as they pass> Same effect. They may have been appearing to have report it, but only one of them was. Hell, the Youtube vid of it would have been taken by at least one of those 'witnesses'.

That's not being a witness. You have to see it occur. I have seen car wrecks myself but I didn't see them occurring so therefore I did not witness it. I have heard one occurring when I was in sixth grade, it sounded weird, but I am not sure how to describe the sound. But I did not see it occur, I heard it but my mother saw it but she didn't even stop. Then we both saw police cars coming. Then in high school I learned when you see a car accident occur, you have to stay there till the police comes so you can tell them what happened. I just hope I will never be a witness or I am going to have to stay and wait till the police comes and when they do come, tell them what happened and then wait some more till they say we can all leave. It would suck if you were on your way to a doctor's appointment or to a sports game or some event like to a concert or to a play, etc. But it sucks more if you were on your way to seeing a doctor or a dentist.

My mother must have been pretty inflexible because she did not even turn her car around and stay at the scene of the car wreck. We were on our way home from my group therapy I believe.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 09:33:54 AM »
My mate and I never hung around when we saw that prang I mentioned earlier between the Kingswood and the Toyota. No mobile phones in 1980 either, so we just buggered off seeing as we couldn't do much.

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 10:33:07 AM »
My mate and I never hung around when we saw that prang I mentioned earlier between the Kingswood and the Toyota. No mobile phones in 1980 either, so we just buggered off seeing as we couldn't do much.
How old are you? Just out of interest like  ;)
batcat

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 07:28:47 AM »

Unless this is a rhetorical question or something for ammo, old enough to kick several peoples' arses around here.

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 08:07:50 AM »

Unless this is a rhetorical question or something for ammo, old enough to kick several peoples' arses around here.

:lol: :wanker:  :-*
batcat

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 08:34:12 AM »

And your head looks like it was flattened by a Mack truck. And the fucking thing backed over it..... again and again and again and again.

BTW, Calandale says hello, and says you are still as boring as you ever were.

:lol: :wanker:  :-*

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 09:00:30 AM »
But I wonder how they get trucks and RVs unstuck

This one made it out on it's own with some roof damage.  One way they get them out is let the air out of the tires if that doesn't work they pull them out with tow trucks and that is not pretty
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 02:08:07 PM »

Age's got nothing to do with it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein