Educational

Author Topic: proxy server dead - locked out of AFF  (Read 752 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
proxy server dead - locked out of AFF
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:40:53 PM »
I've been using MacWare WebGhost to subscribe to a proxy server, so I don't have to look at banner ads that show the names of neighborhoods within a ten mile radius of me.  Either the proxy server is down tonight or my subscription has expired.  (Though WebGhost and its website give no indication as to how to check the status of your subscription.)

Interestingly, AFF will only let me in if I'm using the proxy server.  If I use a direct connection, it ignores my attempts to log in.  Since I can't use the proxy server at the moment, I can't get in.  Anyone here know what the hell that's all about?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: proxy server dead - locked out of AFF
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:26:36 PM »
I just had no difficulty accessing the site as a guest. 

That's weird that it won't let you access the site without your proxy server.  Maybe they IP banned a range of IP addresses and yours just happened to be part of it?

Could you try a different proxy server?

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 01:18:22 AM »
Proxy.org has a wide range of free proxys. Just pick one and away you go. myproxy.jumpingcrab worked for me to get into Wankplanet for awhile, and it didn't have adds (maybe one banner saying who they were). Only problem was that you couldn't see certain pics and vids. If AFF banned you, then make up another account with a new email.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 05:56:05 AM »
I can get in as a guest, but if I try to log in, it just goes right back to the login prompt.  I don't think I've been banned.  I've never even said "shit" or "fuck" on that site, not even once.  And, I've never gotten into any of those knock-down-drag-out flamewars that occasionally happen there.  The worst I ever flamed someone there was that ABA tutor bitch who tried to conduct a survey there at the start of this year.  (I reported her to the mods and her posts were deleted.)  The only rule I've ever broken that I'm aware of is the time I cross-posted two threads.  That's only because I simply forgot there's a rule against it.  Maybe I live near someone who got banned.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
Point is that all the proxy from Proxy.org are free ones, so you don't have to subscribe.

TheoK

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 03:53:14 PM »
Tor is one of the better ones, though I haven't been able to use it lately. :???:

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 07:09:56 PM »
WebGhost is working again.  Maybe its server was just overloaded last week.  However, AFF is pulling a "404" again.  WTF?

TheoK

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 07:19:25 AM »
Does anyone know why Tor isn't working correctly? I'm banned on another forum and would like to use Tor to post there "anonymously". They probably recognize me by my style of writing and ban me though I use a proxy service, so I'd like to use a rotating IP to avoid IP ban on the proxy as well.

My OS is Windows XP and my browser is Firefox 3.01.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 07:53:53 AM »
WebGhost is working again.  Maybe its server was just overloaded last week.  However, AFF is pulling a "404" again.  WTF?

Yeah the forum is temporarily down
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 07:22:30 AM »
I got told there is an alternative forum set up by someone from AFF. Darned if I know why the site went down.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 03:33:19 PM »
Does anyone know why Tor isn't working correctly? I'm banned on another forum and would like to use Tor to post there "anonymously". They probably recognize me by my style of writing and ban me though I use a proxy service, so I'd like to use a rotating IP to avoid IP ban on the proxy as well.

What's the problem with Tor, exactly?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 04:27:10 PM »

Several. One of the greatest problems is that when I download Tor and have set it up, a request about some password comes up, though there have never been such a request before. Another thing is that several users say that Firefox 3.0(1) doesn't work together with Torbutton. And I can't completely uninstall Tor either. ???

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 08:27:34 PM »

I remember reading something about that.  The site's IP address changed for some strange reason and they are working on fixing it, I think.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 02:49:39 PM »

Several. One of the greatest problems is that when I download Tor and have set it up, a request about some password comes up, though there have never been such a request before. Another thing is that several users say that Firefox 3.0(1) doesn't work together with Torbutton. And I can't completely uninstall Tor either. ???

Could be that you have leftovers from Firefox 2, if you upgraded from that. I have had several weird problems with Firefox 3, though, and I suspect it needs an additional version or three before they've fixed the most glaring issues.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 04:40:59 PM »
I can't get onto AFF at all!   ::)