Author Topic: Prove your AS!  (Read 6045 times)

Triste

Re: Prove your AS!
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2006, 03:38:50 PM »
he said it was because I told him that I was 13 before I realized people couldn't read my mind. 

i have found in male/female relationships that women expect men to read their mind, or at the most pick up on very subtle nuances.  i am a loser in that regaurd, i do not have a clue.
I think, but am not sure, that what you are referring to is empathy.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2006, 04:00:21 PM »
ME neither.
Misunderstood.

Triste

« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2006, 07:46:08 PM »
LOL

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2006, 10:45:34 PM »
AS aside i'm totally ADD i totally didn't read this thread. ;D

seriously tho i should go back on my meds cuz i'm totally snow i mean slow

aspies can totally read people if not their minds then at least their intentions. we're telepathically oriented but the normies aren't so our behavior seems odd to them cuz they don't believe in telepathy. ;D
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2006, 12:24:14 AM »
just watch the "recently listened to" tracks on the lastfm thingy in my sig.  and then watch as the same track comes up eleventy-four times...   :laugh:  (i had it on loop, but i may have disabled the scrobbling, so people on the lastfm site don't think i'm a complete nutter ;) ).

however, that's about as much proof as i'll have - my GP has just told me that i have about as much chance of getting assessed for AS as flying to the moon, even though he's happy to refer me again (still waiting to hear from the original referral - the local psychology/psychiatric service is useless).  oh well...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 12:26:23 AM by Lucifer »

Bazza

« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2006, 08:30:38 PM »
I can certainly improve it.  Mine seems to be going away.  I had it bad when I was younger and more retarded.

Me too.  I started off doing the WP intro stuff, but that's a bit lame and then I thought if I did, all you in the in-crowd would gang up on me and call me names.

From someone in Aspie Village
... aspie forum called Intensity, but I rather suspect many people there haven't actually got aspergers....The in-crowd on the site just add karma (applaud) to each other at any opportunity. ... They smite people they don't like ... The whole business is getting me down. If I just leave, the thugs will think they have won, and I don't want to give them that satisfaction.

You must be the non AS thugs this guy's talking about, so instead of saying my favorite number is 3.1415926... (of course apart from 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 ...) I will prove my AS and you can smite me if you can, you, you, you smiters!

I was a virgin until I was 25.  I never thought girls were interested in me (got told they like me as a friend) and couldn't face going to any school dances.  After getting married I still thought other women were not interested in me, but my wife says she regularly saw women giving me a "come-on" that I never saw.  Thinking back there was one time that I think 2 girls may have been wanting me in a 3-some and I still can't get over that I will never know. :'( :'( :'( and I still have that 3some fantasy  :'( :'( :'(

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 08:53:15 PM by Bazza »

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2006, 10:36:53 AM »
wow dude! my favorite number is 3.14etcetc too! apart from 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 11, 13, 25, 27 and stuff :P

personally i don't believe asperger's or ADD even exist, we are supreme peeple and the stuffy normie sheeple are just jealous!!! ;D
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2006, 04:36:17 PM »
personally i don't believe asperger's or ADD even exist, we are supreme peeple and the stuffy normie sheeple are just jealous!!! ;D

I tend to wonder if it really exists myself. That's one of the reasons I was so pissed off when I was first told I had it. I had done research and didn't like how there was a whole big list of "symptoms", but you only had to have a few to be dxed with it, as most people don't have *every* symptom. We could just all have a variety of different symptoms that mimic the made up AS. Or maybe it really does exist, but it's definition is so broad that a lot of people can fit into it.

And what's with all these aspies who supposedly have bipolar as well? Sometimes I wonder if there's not a separate disorder out there that mimics AS (if it exists) and bipolar...

Anyway, I think the whole aspies vs. NT's thing is stupid. Discriminating against someone because they're NT is very similar to racism. People hate NT's because they've had bad experiences with them (such as being bullied by them), but that's how racism often starts as well. Someone has a bad experience with a group of people of a certain race, and suddenly *everyone* or *most* of the people in that group are bad.  ::) In all honesty, I don't think we're all *that* different from NT's anyway. There are so many other disorders out there, and there are a lot of quirky NT's too who can accept people with AS. There isn't just an autism spectrum, there's a whole spectrum of people out there. If we want to fit in better in society (which not everyone wants to do), we can work on our AS symptoms, but that doesn't other people don't have things to work on. *Everyone* does. It shouldn't really matter whether everyone here is autistic or not if they fit in here and can relate to people with AS, and that's how it should be on the other sites too IMHO. I hate when people on the internet tell others they don't have AS, because you can't really know for sure unless you know them in person, and even then you'd have to know them pretty well. Not all cases of AS are obvious.

Okay, long post ended.

Offline Praetor

• Constant Poster
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2006, 04:52:42 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if there's not a separate disorder out there that mimics AS

yes, schitzoid personalities...i.e. schitzophrenia

According to Lorna Wing (1994)

Were it not for her we would of been classed as a schitzophrenia type

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2006, 04:56:16 PM »
I know there are disorders that mimic AS, but I was talking about one that mimicked both AS and bipolar, hence why so there are so many people that think they have both AS and bipolar. I don't know if schizoids have bipolar traits or not, as I don't know much about the disorder.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2006, 05:03:05 PM »
Syndrome \Syn"dro*me\, n. [NL., from Gr. ?; sy`n with + ? a
   course, a running.]
   1. Concurrence. [R.] --Glanvill.
      [1913 Webster]

2. (Med.) A group of symptoms occurring together that are
      characteristic and indicative of some underlying cause,
      such as a disease.
      [1913 Webster]

3. generally, a pattern of characteristics or behaviors
      occurring together, that are sufficiently common and
      distinctive to indicate that they are due to a known
      cause.
      [PJC]

I suppose it's because Asperger's is actually merely a list of symptoms, of which all are not always present, that they named it a "syndrome", eh?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2006, 05:06:58 PM »
Good point odeon.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2006, 05:08:20 PM »
Thank you kindly. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Praetor

• Constant Poster
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2006, 05:11:50 PM »
I know there are disorders that mimic AS, but I was talking about one that mimicked both AS and bipolar, hence why so there are so many people that think they have both AS and bipolar. I don't know if schizoids have bipolar traits or not, as I don't know much about the disorder.

Well is that not dual diagnosis? That is what it would be referred to in a uk clinical setting
A mental health problem combined with a learning differance/difficulty

On my current placement we have people who are very much learning disabled (mental handicap/retarded whatever you want to call them) who are bi polar and they would be referred to as dual diagnosis clients.

Bi polar is not a means to an end people can aquire it over time as a mental illness inflicted on them through abuse, trauma, PTSD all sorts. My uncle is bi polar and i attribute that to possibly genetic pre disposition/susceptibility but also to his wife who used to be an alcoholic and assualted him on several occasions. My recent ex was bi polar and you can attribute it to abuse she recieved in school for being undiagnosed ADHD from an early age and social exclusion combined with her self harming behaviour which also began at an early age.

Why label the scared and the abused with further afflictions? We need to see these individuals in the here and now allow them to confront their demons to control their mental health issues and take back their lives

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2006, 06:27:40 PM »
Syndrome \Syn"dro*me\, n. [NL., from Gr. ?; sy`n with + ? a
   course, a running.]
   1. Concurrence. [R.] --Glanvill.
      [1913 Webster]

2. (Med.) A group of symptoms occurring together that are
      characteristic and indicative of some underlying cause,
      such as a disease.
      [1913 Webster]

3. generally, a pattern of characteristics or behaviors
      occurring together, that are sufficiently common and
      distinctive to indicate that they are due to a known
      cause.
      [PJC]

I suppose it's because Asperger's is actually merely a list of symptoms, of which all are not always present, that they named it a "syndrome", eh?

Even for a syndrome, Asperger's is an extremely broad disorder. The problem is that it's not clearly defined. For instance, Down Syndrome is a lot easier to diagnose because they have an extra chromosome, and the majority of them have similar faces that give away their disorder. Unlike Down Syndrome, AS is so broad that a lot of people can fit in. Even the DSM definition of it may change because people aren't happy with it.

Well is that not dual diagnosis? That is what it would be referred to in a uk clinical setting
A mental health problem combined with a learning differance/difficulty

On my current placement we have people who are very much learning disabled (mental handicap/retarded whatever you want to call them) who are bi polar and they would be referred to as dual diagnosis clients.

Bi polar is not a means to an end people can aquire it over time as a mental illness inflicted on them through abuse, trauma, PTSD all sorts. My uncle is bi polar and i attribute that to possibly genetic pre disposition/susceptibility but also to his wife who used to be an alcoholic and assualted him on several occasions. My recent ex was bi polar and you can attribute it to abuse she recieved in school for being undiagnosed ADHD from an early age and social exclusion combined with her self harming behaviour which also began at an early age.

Why label the scared and the abused with further afflictions? We need to see these individuals in the here and now allow them to confront their demons to control their mental health issues and take back their lives

If there were one or two people that I know of claiming to have both AS and bipolar, I wouldn't see a problem, but I think a lot of people are getting over dxed or over dxing themselves. What really bothers me is the people who claim to have like five disorders. They're hypochondriacs IMO. For example, Sean claims he has AS, bipolar, tourette's, ADD, and OCD. He also says he's deaf in one ear and has cerebal palsy. Maybe the latter are true but I doubt he has all those disorders.

I don't know about other countries, but bipolar is definitely over dxed here. I myself was diagnosed with it the first time I ever went to the hospital, along with a lot of other people. I've been to hospitals and various programs, and met many people who say they're bipolar when it's obvious they're not, and it's just mood swings they have. In order to have bipolar, someone needs to go through periods of mania as well as periods of depression. All of my mom's brothers and sisters have bipolar (not from abuse, it was hereditary) and have had the manic AND the depressive phases. My one aunt went to Cancun and Jamaica and bought a brand new car during her manic phase. My mom was recently dxed with it as well, and I've researched it heavily, so I know a lot about it. I'm sick of people asking me if I'm bipolar when I get moody and bitchy because I've never been manic except when on certain antidepressants, the rest of the time I'm either moody, depressed, or content.

Anyway, I just find it extremely odd that there are an abundance of people saying they have bipolar and AS and think that either the disorders overlap a lot for some reason, or there's another one out there no one's discovered.