Author Topic: Prove your AS!  (Read 6021 times)

Bazza

Re: Prove your AS!
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2006, 06:53:14 PM »
... I don't know about other countries, but bipolar is definitely over dxed here. ... Anyway, I just find it extremely odd that there are an abundance of people saying they have bipolar and AS and think that either the disorders overlap a lot for some reason, or there's another one out there no one's discovered.

Don't know about bi-polar, but kindergarten accused both my boys of being ADHD and thought drugs were appropriate.  Our male doctor/GP disagreed.  They are now teenagers and not ADHD.

I tend to think the education system is becoming overly feminised and female teachers have a preference for girls, and bon't like letting boys be boys.  The result is an over dx of ADHD.  This is one reason why we are sending them to a boys private school we can't really afford, but I am happy to mortgage my retirement to do it.

I also think kids are over protected.  In the 70's (when I was a teenager) boxing was dropped as a sport from school.  That was the start of the rot

hiroshima

« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2006, 07:01:25 PM »
Lol about the boxing comment bazza!!!

Yes, the school system is a matriarchy and they have feminized everything, from math to behavior expectations.  Pretty scary that the boys are being drugged to remove their masculinity.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2006, 12:44:30 AM »
* Nomaken rolls around everyone hanging out in the thread, and then melts and drips up the wall.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2006, 12:50:33 AM »
QC, the point with using a vague term like "syndrome" is, or at least should be, that there is no other way to put a name on the characteristics that unite the sufferers. If there was a blood test, for instance, we could use "disorder" with a clear consciousness. ;) Down's, I believe, is a "syndrome" because of tradition, because it started that way, not because there isn't a better way to diagnose.

It also helps that some of the particular characteristics associated with Down's are rather easy to recognize.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2006, 01:04:22 AM »
As child I was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy

As a Adult at 41 years of age the Diagnosis is:
315.2 Disorder of Written Expression
315.0 Reading Disorder
299.80 Asperger's Disorder
296.32 Major Depressive Disorder

I wonder what is a dual diagnosis and what it means?
Guardian of the Empire

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2006, 01:16:21 AM »
* MillaPill also rolls around and drips on people cuz she wants to be trendy cuz it's trendy to not be trendy
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2006, 01:22:32 AM »
Be trendy by not being trendy? ??? Is this an Irish thing?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2006, 01:27:15 AM »
QC, the point with using a vague term like "syndrome" is, or at least should be, that there is no other way to put a name on the characteristics that unite the sufferers.

The fact that there's no other way to put a name to them is what makes it a broad disorder...I never argued that it shouldn't be called a syndrome; I was just
sayingj that the fact that it's a broad disorder (or "syndrome") sometimes makes me skeptical of its existence and whether or not I (and sometimes other people) really have it, even though I am diagnosed with it.

Down's, I believe, is a "syndrome" because of tradition, because it started that way, not because there isn't a better way to diagnose. It also helps that some of the particular characteristics associated with Down's are rather easy to recognize.

Then maybe Down's Syndrome should be renamed to Down's Disorder, but then again it's a chromosomal disorder, and many of those disorders also get the term "syndrome" (Kleinfelther's syndrome, hunter's syndrome, fragile x syndrome, triple x syndrome, etc.)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2006, 01:29:20 AM »
OK. Point taken. I guess semantics just isn't for me today.  :-\ :(

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2006, 01:31:16 AM »
AS is not a disorder. it's a clutterance of traits. :P

and yes, be trendy by not being trendy. you can't escape trendiness. which is why i was trying to trick trendy by saying i want to be trendy so then it would leave me alone and i would be my normal untrendy self without the nasty trendy side-effect of being untrendy which is that it makes you trendy. get? :P
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2006, 01:32:29 AM »
AS is not a disorder. it's a clutterance of traits. :P

and yes, be trendy by not being trendy. you can't escape trendiness. which is why i was trying to trick trendy by saying i want to be trendy so then it would leave me alone and i would be my normal untrendy self without the nasty trendy side-effect of being untrendy which is that it makes you trendy. get? :P

So trendy is the same as not wanting to be trendy but sort of slipping into trendiness sideways, preferably unaware of the true trends that fill the day?

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2006, 01:34:43 AM »
i dunno. will it make me trendy if i say yes? :P
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2006, 01:35:47 AM »
Nope. A question like that will boost your un-trendiness.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2006, 01:42:17 AM »
If i had absolute control over my appearence and consistency, I would probably rarely assume normal human form.  I'd be a lot like jim carrey from The Mask, or the genie from alladin.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2006, 01:42:36 AM »
i don't believe you. :o *suspicious ogle*
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar