Author Topic: Now I know I live in a ghetto.  (Read 1004 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
Now I know I live in a ghetto.
« on: April 22, 2008, 06:11:19 PM »
I came home from work this afternoon and there's a note on my door from the landlord.  Yet another county inspector needs to check out the property, entering apartments at random, any god damn apartment they want, at will.  "Secure your pets.  If you've changed the locks, make sure the management has a key.  If you've got an alarm, turn it off."  All right, I guess I'll have to confine the cats to the bedroom, hope they don't go apeshit and tear it up, and hope the county inspector doesn't fuck with any of my stuff.

This is why I hate renting, because the management can just let any asshole into my home for whatever reason, always when I'm away at work.  Why can't they do this shit on a Saturday?  In the past, I've taken days off work to make sure I'm home when they need to enter for whatever reason.  This time, however, I've got a meeting and can't just be taking time off.

Every time they pull this shit, it makes me feel like I'm living in a dirty ghetto hole instead of a real home.  I just want to be able to buy a home, and actually be the one with the authority over the place where I sleep and keep my belongings.  Can't happen just yet because the housing market is all fucked up, and I work for an employer that barely pays anyone jack shit.

Who else here has to deal with that kind of shit?

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Now I know I live in a ghetto.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 10:41:39 PM »
I haven't dealt with this yet and shouldn't this belong in the Bitch About It section. Sounds like a bitch to me.

But hey at least the houses are cheap in some areas where people lost there homes, then people with lower income can buy them. Thats one good thing about our bad economy we are suffering with right now.

There is me turning bad things into good things, one of the gifts I have but unfortunitly my last boyfriend didn't seem to like it.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:20:17 AM »
Where I live we get inspections because we live in a rental. But they do specify what day they are coming, just not the hour. It feels awkward to have them come through the house and look in our oven, in our bathroom, laundry, etc.

Suppose it is their way of making sure we don't trash the owner's house. It is part of renting. Our rent is one of the lowest for what we have and I do feel lucky. I am just scared that the owner might decide to sell and then we would have to leave. We wouldn't be able to afford anything else.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 05:37:11 AM »
Yuck people in your house I haven't had that since living in a dorm and that drove me crazy
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 06:20:09 AM »
That would drive me crazy too.

What are the county inspectors looking for?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 06:30:52 AM »
Quick, pack up the meth lab!
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 07:56:20 AM »
In Ct I know some towns check rentals every year to be sure they are conforming to the building codes and renting regulations.  Such as having smoke detectors,proper electrical and plumbing and such,  basically to make sure the tenants are not being put in danger by the landlord this is mostly for people who have some sort of rent assistance though

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »
We live in a Dept. of Housing place and we are meant to get inspections like every 6 months or whatever. We got just after being here 6 months, but after that we havent had one since. Its been a few years now. We know others in the area get them and we have the same case manager. I think she is the type that would rather do as little work as possible to get by, which in the long run suits us fine. Just you have to light a fire under her arse when you want her to do something for you.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »

The note said they're checking the fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, circuit breakers, etc.  But what goes in the broad category of "etc." that they didn't care to mention on the note?

I got rid of the cascaded surge supressors last year, so I hope they don't mind the two power strips plugged into the UPS.

:laugh:

There's no meth lab in here, but I do have hard apple cider brewing in a clear plastic tank next to my sink, and about twenty bottles of it aging on top of the cabinet.  There's also another tank where I'm seeing what happens when you ferment orange juice with yeast and sugar.  I just hope they don't think it's something else and freak out.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 09:25:44 PM »

The note said they're checking the fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, circuit breakers, etc.  But what goes in the broad category of "etc." that they didn't care to mention on the note?

I got rid of the cascaded surge supressors last year, so I hope they don't mind the two power strips plugged into the UPS.

There's no meth lab in here, but I do have hard apple cider brewing in a clear plastic tank next to my sink, and about twenty bottles of it aging on top of the cabinet.  There's also another tank where I'm seeing what happens when you ferment orange juice with yeast and sugar.  I just hope they don't think it's something else and freak out.

Hard cider is great but I think you might be disappointed by hard OJ I can't get past the smell.  It also tends to separate 

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 10:25:51 PM »

Isnt that what they do in prison? make booze out of oranges or something, or so I've heard.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 07:22:35 PM »
The OJ has started smelling like stale beer.  Yesterday, I got home from work and noticed that, while it still had positive pressure showing in the water lock, it had stopped sending bubbles through it.  So, I opened the lid and dropped a cup of sugar into it atop the three cups I had started it with.  (Total volume is two gallons.)  I closed the lid and within seconds it was bubbling again.  It seems to rip through fermentation much faster than the apple juice in the other container.

The reason I put so much sugar in it was to make sure it generates a large amount of alcohol and hopefully kills off any other microbes besides the yeast.

It's just an experiment, so I'm not going to be too disappointed if I have to throw it out.

I told a co-worker (the one who got me into this home-brewing thing) about it and he said don't throw it out just yet.  Does the smell go away or does it get worse?

As for the cider, the batches that I have tasted are very dry and tart.  I've got enough of it up on the cabinet to make sure it's had at least a month to age before I get around to drinking it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 07:26:12 PM »
Does the smell go away or does it get worse?

I can't past it maybe you can not sure if it gets better to me it's just yuck

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 10:08:06 AM »

Worried that you'll get a surprise visit from a SWAT team who think you're a terrorist who's making explosives?  There's a decent chance of it.  :P
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »
I tried home brewing as a kid.  I made some bramble wine and some stuff that was just sugar, water and yeast in a tub.  I didn't drink more than a few sips of the bramble wine, since when I was making it, they'd been full of maggots, but I got drunk on the alco-water stuff and then felt pretty ill the next day.  I didn't use gas locks with either of them, and they were both pretty horrible.