Educational

Author Topic: Seroxat  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Seroxat
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 05:41:28 AM »
i have executive dysfunction

seroxat is awesome
although i think it might be making me sick now and then
i dunno what it will be like when i come off it, but i dont care right now :laugh:

I am very pleased you found one that works for you :thumbup:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Taimaat

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 04:42:32 PM »
I was on effexor at one point when I was in high school. It made my horny. I never remember any problems withdrawing from it though. I think at one point it just stopped working, so the doctor took me off it.

I know some people don't understand my objection to mind-altering drugs, prescription or not very well, but it is a religious objection. I always felt that, ever since I was a little girl, that I should not be taking mind-altering drugs to change who I am. I could never really explain to people why being myself was more important than something the adults thought I should do like be obedient in school. I couldn't put it into logical words.

I remember saying “I'm not myself when I am on the medication” and “I feel like it is the medication getting me though school and doing things and not me.”  But I did want to please my parents by doing well in school, so I took the drugs, but a lot of time they didn't really work or had undesirable side effects.  Now, I always wonder, everything I ever did on medication, if it was really me or, if it was the pills.

Recently I read some articles on teenagers taking anti-depressants and then killing themselves. I was on Zoloft and became suicidal as a teenager. I don't think I would have ever even attempted suicide, but the pain was just too much for me to bear at that point. They  now recommend not to give certain ones to teenagers.

I think the reason this problem happens in teenagers and not adults is because teenagers are forced by the law to go to school. When you force or coerce someone to do something against their will and then make them take pills to go do it, that is just asking for problems.
The law of nature threefold
thou do unto others three times
what they have done unto thee.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law.
Love is the Law, Love Under Will.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 05:14:18 PM »
"I think the reason this problem happens in teenagers and not adults is because teenagers are forced by the law to go to school. When you force or coerce someone to do something against their will and then make them take pills to go do it, that is just asking for problems."

:agreed:

i didn't take pills but i was miserable at school. i was forced to wake up at an unnatural hour and do things that felt unnatural to me, i have an internal clock that tells me when to sleep and when to do things and it was really hard to live by the school schedule and stuff, not to mention the other stuff. i dunno how i survived it sober, that was before i had discovered alcohol. i started drinking on my way to school in high school and skipping class cuz noone paid attention to me. eventually i dropped out and felt much better. i think forcing people to do things is terrible.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 06:23:25 PM »
I think the reason this problem happens in teenagers and not adults is because teenagers are forced by the law to go to school. When you force or coerce someone to do something against their will and then make them take pills to go do it, that is just asking for problems.

Agreed. I think many of the problems of teenage-hood, the rebelliousness, etc., is due to the perceived age of consent getting higher and higher as society advances. The teens - a period where people are biologically capable of reproduction and yet told by society that they are too immature to be an adult - just didn't used to exist at earlier points in history.

I know the standard argument is that that the brain hasn't stopped developing in the teen years, and judgement and impulse control are decreased compared to say a 40-year-old. But really the brain doesn't stop developing at any point of life. Even a 90-year-old can learn, and reaching the third or fourth decade isn't a guarantee of maturity.

It scares me when I see articles about the new generation of helicopter parents descending on colleges. University seems to be shifting towards high school, pushing the point of expected independence from parents even later. And yet puberty is coming earlier and earlier.

Society is changing in ways that don't match our biology.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Taimaat

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 07:30:19 PM »
I know the standard argument is that that the brain hasn't stopped developing in the teen years, and judgement and impulse control are decreased compared to say a 40-year-old. But really the brain doesn't stop developing at any point of life. Even a 90-year-old can learn, and reaching the third or fourth decade isn't a guarantee of maturity.

I think the reason judgment and impulse control are so poor, is because really, it doesn't do you any good to have judgment or impulse control when you will be forced to do certain things regardless of what you do or don't do.  I'm somewhat of a sociology buff, so I read a lot of sociology.  It seems every time you take the choices away from people, they don't really have a reason to be responsible anymore, so why bother with the extra effort that it takes.
The law of nature threefold
thou do unto others three times
what they have done unto thee.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law.
Love is the Law, Love Under Will.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
True. I'm hoping somebody who feels like they had too much responsibility as a teenager will chip in, because I don't know whether this is just a sore point for me because I was overprotected and overcontrolled.

In your sociology reading, did you run into any descriptions of the reverse phenomenon, where people become overwhelmed by choices and lack of structure, and hungry for order or control? I'm curious which is more a factor in North American/European society today.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2008, 03:16:10 AM »
wtf! wtf is this edronax? i am reading about it and i think i have an adrenalin problem. might be tied to my executive dysfunction. ???
Reboxetine (Edronax) is an antidepressant drug used in the treatment of clinical depression, panic disorder, ADD/ADHD and social phobia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edronax
I don't understand why you wrote about adrenaline problem?

I stopped taking Edronax simply because it didn't work. I was taking it for ADHD and it had no effect.
cipramil gave me tardive dyskenesia. :laugh: twitches like i had tourettes. head shakes and stuff. i still twitch when i lie still and stuff.
I have not heard of an effect like that with antidepressants. I have had TD when I took antipsychotics.

I understand when people are against medication to get them through school and whatever, that they want to know what the real person is like without medication. GA has asked me what I would be like without medication.

But when there are illnesses such as schizophrenia and bipolar, they need to be treated if there is risk of the person hurting themselves or others.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2008, 03:43:39 AM »
i read about it online and it said that. ??? lol.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2008, 04:37:55 AM »
You may have mild Tourette's or tic disorder that was made noticeable when you started taking the medication.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2008, 05:39:28 AM »
i've never had such ticks before that i can remember. :P i think i read somewhere some meds can cause tardive dyskinesia. might have been cipramil.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2008, 08:52:28 AM »
Tics are different from twitches as far as I know. When I had twitches from TD, I couldn't stop them even when I wanted to.
The tics I have I can stop, but I feel an overwhelming urge to do them.

I think of it in terms of: I have to keep still, my life depends on it.
So with twitches, I can't help it and I die because I moved.
And with tics, I can help it and I live because I didn't move (just tic an enormous amount afterwards).

That is a strange analogy, I know. And I have the gheyest tics, :P all pulling the muscles in my back and neck.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »
it's like... a sneeze or yawn or something. *yawns* i have to do it but i can delay it. for a second. but i just have to do it. it just happens. it's like a convulsion or blink of an eye, it has to happen. they still happen sometimes but only in the mildest way and almost never.

what do you mean pulling muscles? my head shakes are like neck twitches, like i swing my head from left to right and stuff.

i keep thinking of an analogy... like the yawn/sneeze might be closest but i feel i'm forgetting something more appropriate. but i can't get it in my head. i've thought about this a lot.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 02:10:09 AM »
A sneeze is a bit different to a yawn, you have more control over a yawn.

I guess with a tic, you have more control over it than you would a twitch, but you do feel a huge urge with a tic.

See if you can stop your neck twitches, think "I have to keep absolutely still!" when they happen. That is how I knew my tics were not twitches.

A while ago I was mixed up wondering whether my tics were stims, but they are not. Stims can be fun or they can relieve stress. Tics will happen just whenever.

I sort of tense the muscles down the sides of my back and shoulders. Also my neck sometimes. When I was very young I used to squeeze my eyes shut tight all the time. It was thought I did that because of the eye problems I had at the time, but now I know they were tics.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 02:15:14 AM »
*yawns* everytime i see the word yawn or hear the word yawn i have to yawn. i don't have much contorl over it. *yawns*

*yawns*

there was someone in our school who kept squeezing her eyes shut. i was weirded out by it and noone said anything. :toporly:
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 02:27:35 AM »
there was someone in our school who kept squeezing her eyes shut. i was weirded out by it and noone said anything. :toporly:
That was probably a tic.  :orly:
Tek'ma'tae