Educational

Author Topic: Newbie.  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Callista

• one
Newbie.
« on: March 24, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
Hi. I'm new.

Diagnosed Aspie at 19. Now 24. Living on disability payments, which I hate; but it's that or try to get people to hire me and then not fire me, which seems near impossible... Going to college; hoping to become an engineer. Yeah, that's right--you can get government money and use it to help you get through college. What a loophole!

Special interests: Psychology, cats, Nethack.

Hate: Polyester, bus rides, heat, and cake frosting.

Love: Books, Star Trek, swimming, and coffee.

Also have ADHD and dysthymia. Recovering from PTSD and major depression. Am of the opinion that anybody who hits a child, especially an Aspie child during a meltdown, should die. Slowly.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:13:51 PM by Callista »

Sophgay

Re: Newbie.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 02:13:08 PM »
Welcome 8)

Do you have any cats?

thepeaguy

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »
Better watch out: I might bite.

Offline Callista

• one
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 02:26:27 PM »
I have two cats; they're both tabbies, but their personalities are very different.

Tiny is a big, muscular cat who weighs about 13 pounds; he's scared of the vacuum cleaner and strangers. When scared, he attacks the nearest moving object... took me a while to redirect him to socks stuffed full of plastic bags, which are big enough for him to wrestle with, instead of biting my ankles! He's an ex-stray, currently 1 1/2 years old. I assumed he was dumped as a kitten, because I saw him around the neighborhood for quite a while before I took him in. He still has some feral tendencies, as well as the canny common sense of a stray cat.

Baby Girl is a small cat with soft fur. She's cute, and she knows it. She came to live with me when I opened the door and she walked in as though she owned the place. Turned out she belonged to the neighbors, who hardly ever fed her and let her flea problem go untreated. After a month, they noticed I was taking care of her and let me have her. She's currently flea-free and healthy and up to a normal weight, but she's still a little neurotic about not getting enough food. Whenever she's scared, she mews, brushes against your ankles, and generally acts "cute"! It took me a while to convince her that she was going to be fed enough, and now she only begs around mealtimes, instead of constantly. Baby Girl's two years old and capable of jumping over three feet straight into the air to catch a toy.

I'm also fostering a dilute calico named Christy. At the shelter, she was overwhelmed by the presence of fifty other cats and spent all her time hiding. The only part of her personality we could see there was that she hissed whenever she saw another cat. She's coming out of her shell now, exploring, though she still retreats to a dog crate which I keep with the door propped open for her to go to when she feels scared. She's finicky. For four days after I got her here, she ate hardly anything. I still have to tempt her with stinky canned food because she won't touch dry food. When she came here her breathing was noisy because she had made a habit of sleeping in her litter box, and the ammonia and dust were irritating her respiratory system. She's breathing well now, and that's probably the cause of the decrease in her anorexia, since she can smell the food now. She's downright beautiful; her looks make it more probable that I can find someone who will give her a good home--preferably as an only cat or with a sedate older cat. My cats still stress her out a little, since they're both young and would like to play with her.

Better watch out: I might bite.
If you do, I will set Tiny on you! He is very good at biting back.

thepeaguy

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
My cat Cuban is a big fucker as well.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 02:34:12 PM »
welcome, callista.

/waves.

Sophgay

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 02:38:30 PM »
Cuban is cute

I have a calico too, called Flo
She's very fat
We got her from an animal rescue charity, with her sister, when they were only a few weeks old - their mother had been very young so she'd died and we were able to take them home early. She used to sleep underneath lampshades because of the warmth. She gets really scared very easily. Hardly ever goes out, just in the back garden now and then. Whenever people come round, she hides upstairs or in my bed :P
You can tell when someone's a good person though, because she senses it. If she likes someone, she'll actually come downstairs and be normal around them, which is very rare. It's the same with places too, the second house we lived in she didn't like (she's lived in three houses), but the others she was fine with straight away. I think cats are good at sensing these kind of things.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 02:39:05 PM »
Welcome to I2 n00b.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
my cat Titus Groan was hugerier than all mentioned so far.  over a foot at the shoulder, over 16lbs, and the biggest wimp going, a massive marmalade tom.  i think he may have had some Maine Coon in him.

Sophgay

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
Flo:

And no one make any  :wanker: jokes because of the name and the book  :laugh:

thepeaguy

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 02:44:09 PM »
Flo:

And no one make any  :wanker: jokes because of the name and the book  :laugh:

Who's a cutety wooty KITTAH!!! :3

Sophgay

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 02:44:39 PM »
Flo is!

thepeaguy

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 02:45:36 PM »

Sophgay

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
She's gay and married, sorry :(

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 03:10:57 PM »
Hi, n00b, and welcome! :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein