Educational

Author Topic: General TV question  (Read 286 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
General TV question
« on: February 25, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »
Why is it in the UK you can watch many of the regular US programs but we get very few in return.  Just would like to watch some different shit for a change
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
Re: General TV question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
Because the British programming might boost our intelligence, and the American networks and their advertisers will have none of it.

Doctor Who and Monty Python kept me sane during my teenage years.  Nowadays, I rarely watch TV.

Most of the sitcoms here ought to be called shitcoms.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:58:58 PM »
get the DVDs. or british channels. :toporly:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Sophgay

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 06:02:53 PM »
i think there's a BBC channel over there
most british tv sucks
actually, most tv sucks, but i watch it anyway

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »
I've got the whole-series box set of Monty Python's Flying Circus.  Nice having the dead parrot sketch and all those other great moments within easy reach.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »
Life on Mars is good. and Mock the Week. i laugh my ass off at that one. it's the funniest show on tv.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Sophgay

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 06:09:53 PM »
i watch mock the week sometimes

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 06:12:17 PM »
The US version of The Office was terrible.  In the original, the characters acted just like they would in real life, which was the whole point of The Office; it mimicked people's real experiences of work, but with somewhat extraordinary yet still believable situations, but in the US version it's all cheesy and overdone, as though the audience won't realise the joke unless it's pointed out to them with big neon letters.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

ozymandias

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 06:16:44 PM »
Why is it in the UK you can watch many of the regular US programs but we get very few in return.  Just would like to watch some different shit for a change

UK tv is heavily subsidized by the Government and a license fee on every tv in the UK.  Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!   American TV has to rely on free enterprise and the lowest common denominator............sex and violence and controversy.  Now I know UK tv has some pretty bad stuff, but, the BBC and it's affiliates can always rely on a government check in the mail.  Public TV in the US is always a target of budget cutters every year.

American TV does make a pretty good amount of money on exporting it's crap to the world.  

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 06:18:16 PM »
The US version of The Office was terrible.  In the original, the characters acted just like they would in real life, which was the whole point of The Office; it mimicked people's real experiences of work, but with somewhat extraordinary yet still believable situations, but in the US version it's all cheesy and overdone, as though the audience won't realise the joke unless it's pointed out to them with big neon letters.

ever watch SNL? americans need pointing out. or so do the show makers think. :P
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 06:21:35 PM »
lots of brit TV is great. Casualty, Holby City, Spooks... lol i saw an old Casualty season at the video store, Charlie was on the cover 30 years younger! i think it was him. lol. has be been on that show so long?
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

ozymandias

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 06:23:53 PM »

ever watch SNL? americans need pointing out. or so do the show makers think. :P

Lowest common denominator..............in other words assume that the people watching are idiots and need help getting the joke.  Unfortunately, the network executives are right........most people who watch these shows ARE stupid and need help.  I remember reading someplace about the mass media that the shows and programs are marketed to a 3rd to 5th grade education level in the US.  Sad isn't it??  

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 06:25:19 PM »
it's them hillbillies in the south.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 06:28:39 PM »

UK tv is heavily subsidized by the Government and a license fee on every tv in the UK.  Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!   American TV has to rely on free enterprise and the lowest common denominator............sex and violence and controversy.  Now I know UK tv has some pretty bad stuff, but, the BBC and it's affiliates can always rely on a government check in the mail.  Public TV in the US is always a target of budget cutters every year.

American TV does make a pretty good amount of money on exporting it's crap to the world. 

Only the BBC is publicly funded; there are 5 terrestrial channels in the UK, and the BBC broadcasts on channels 1 and 2.  ITV broadcasts on channel 3 and I think tends towards regional programming, since we get Scottish stuff here, and it's wholly private and commercially funded.  Channel 4 is also wholly commercially funded, but it's publically owned.  Channel 5 is a recent addition, and is privately owned, commercially funded and quite cheap and tacky in it's programming and advertising.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

ozymandias

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 06:46:34 PM »

UK tv is heavily subsidized by the Government and a license fee on every tv in the UK.  Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!   American TV has to rely on free enterprise and the lowest common denominator............sex and violence and controversy.  Now I know UK tv has some pretty bad stuff, but, the BBC and it's affiliates can always rely on a government check in the mail.  Public TV in the US is always a target of budget cutters every year.

Only the BBC is publicly funded; there are 5 terrestrial channels in the UK, and the BBC broadcasts on channels 1 and 2.  ITV broadcasts on channel 3 and I think tends towards regional programming, since we get Scottish stuff here, and it's wholly private and commercially funded.  Channel 4 is also wholly commercially funded, but it's publically owned.  Channel 5 is a recent addition, and is privately owned, commercially funded and quite cheap and tacky in it's programming and advertising.

Thanks Peter, I was uncertain how much things had changed since the last time I heard about the UK television system.  Sounds like Channel 5 is modeled after the US type of media!  :P