Educational

Author Topic: AS and Alcohol  (Read 2289 times)

ozymandias

Re: AS and Alcohol
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2008, 03:06:15 PM »
I don't have issues with drinking or people who drink, it has come in quite handy for me personnaly over the years.  I just didn't know why I was using it.  Now I do.  I'm also trying to figure out what other mechanisms that I have that need to be scrutinized and understood. 

OK, word of warning take each issue/thing, one at a time.  This is what I cautioned alcoholics to do when they came into the hospital detox program.  Sometimes we all have a rather thick layer of coping mechanisms and trying to scrutinize them all can be intimidating.  Take care of the drinking first, the rest will come in time.  This may sound like a cliche, but, it's best to "Peel them off one layer at a time."

Sometimes when people are in the first stages of trying to quit drinking they get psyched up to quit everything, smoking, swearing, etc, etc, etc.  These mechanisms have been built up over years, so it's going to take some time to examine and understand them all.

Good luck.

Actually that sounds like great advice. Thanks.  I think I was already headed down that road...   I ALWAYS bite off too much.  (I think that is one mechanism I should work on)....

Thats been one of my problems too.  I always am impatient to "fix" things and wind up biting off more than I can handle.  Get frustrated and I'm back at square one!   ::)

Offline driftingblizzard

• Nuclear Prince of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I have Aspergers, what's your excuse?
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2008, 03:11:18 PM »
Maybe being impatient is also an AS issue, I've never thought about that before. I know being detail oriented is one of my big issues.  When I get bogged down in details, I get impatient.
Feeling neutral is very normal.

ozymandias

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2008, 05:07:27 PM »
Maybe being impatient is also an AS issue, I've never thought about that before. I know being detail oriented is one of my big issues.  When I get bogged down in details, I get impatient.

You and me both, you and me both!   ::)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2008, 08:01:04 PM »
I'm not a big fan of alcohol.  If I drink in social situations, I make a bigger arse of myself than normal, and when drinking by myself, I don't usually like the way it dulls my thoughts.  I have a glass of wine on my own occasionally which relaxes me for an hour, but that's about it.  I got completely wasted numerous times when I was younger, but the novelty of it wore off fairly quickly.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Sophgay

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2008, 08:02:12 PM »
I haven't been drunk since xmas, but I probably would do if I could find enough alcohol or stop being such a twat and go to the shop

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2008, 08:05:49 PM »
I've got a bottle of lime vodka in the cupboard that's been sitting there for the past couple of years.  I think I've drunk about 30ml of it since opening it the xmas before last.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2008, 04:43:44 AM »
you can send it to me. :zoinks: i'll IM you my address.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline driftingblizzard

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2008, 05:25:57 AM »
I haven't been drunk since xmas, but I probably would do if I could find enough alcohol or stop being such a twat and go to the shop

Has anyone tried to help you find a different way of unwinding?  I know its hard to think about stuff like that when you have depression, OCD, etc, but your future really does begin today. 

I'm still having trouble finding different ways to blow off steam. 

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2008, 02:25:00 AM »
I am experiencing the wonderful combination right now. :zoinks:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2008, 05:18:30 AM »
drugs and booze? :toporly:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2008, 05:45:33 AM »
I am inebriated but i is Friday and that is OK
 :fiveshots:
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2008, 06:43:18 AM »
it's saturday.

i just went to get some wine with mom, downtown. <walken>crazy.</walken> it was like holy shitballs man. i was panicking the whole time. it's really hard not to blow up in the middle of a peoplefilled place where everyone's coming at you. and the noise and the chaos. total overload. i ended up needing the wine whereas before i left i only wanted it. lol. and i didn't get my Spooks because it was so expensive. it's 20 euro cheaper online. anyway just wanted to rant. sobriety bites. :P
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2008, 02:23:02 PM »
Yes, sobriety does bite.   :(  I'm a better, more patient person after two drinks.

Will definitely be needing those two drinks tonight.  We're going out with some friends who are Brazilian.  The only way I can stand the non-stop talking is by drinking lots.   :P
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »
Does anyone else feel fucking great in the morning when getting really drunk? :zoinks:

Offline driftingblizzard

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2008, 03:25:30 PM »
Does anyone else feel fucking great in the morning when getting really drunk? :zoinks:

Do you mean getting drunk in the morning and then feeling great, or feeling great in the morning after getting really drunk the night before?