Educational

Author Topic: Is there a difference  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: Is there a difference
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2008, 05:53:46 AM »
I hope I can be so lucky.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2008, 10:04:12 AM »
:indeed:

I've always had a bit of skepticism about the
idea. And I state that upfront. Along with
worries, along the way.

I've met Vivi and Benoit from the internet in person, and it turned out all right.

I watched the Superbowl with a guy and his wife that I met from playing FFXI a few years ago.   They have 4 kids haha.   They are really good people.   I was a little paranoid when I initially agreed to meet him and his other friend.    We hung out at a local sports bar and found out how similar we are in regards to our online personas.   I wasn't that similar because in FFXI I am more infamous lol.   I was a polarizing figure, with people quoting me in their signatures on forums I am banned from still to this day.   He was very relieved as to how laid back I am in person, he thought I would be much more in your face like I was in game.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2008, 02:11:19 PM »
Yeah, I've met a handful of people off
WP, since I've been here. Nearly became
friends with a couple of them. Hung out,
and chatted.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2008, 10:37:03 AM »
Meeting people from the internet is ok.   Meet at some neutral public place and just hang out.   I know I met those two guys from my LS in FFXI at a sports bar/restaurant, and the other 2 girls I met from FFXI at Dave and Busters (arcade games + booze = win).

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2008, 04:26:10 AM »
people aren't as annoying irl

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2008, 04:46:44 AM »
rl has better graphix

:plus:  Hilarious.

I think they are the same for me - however I'm more protective about my personal information for obvious reasons.  The positive about meeting people IRL is that you get the mannerisms and interaction that you don't get online....ie;  the graphix are better!
However, there are people who find it easier to hide behind the internet and would never have the balls to say or do the things they carry on with online.  I also think it's easier for people to play high and mighty online, when really their life is a mess. 

At the end of the day, it's probably the same.  Lots of people pretend to be something they are not IRL anyway.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2008, 08:20:38 AM »
Is it possible that the IRL meeting gives more of a false impression than the internet?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Soph

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2008, 08:23:22 AM »
you can't punch people in the face when they deserve it online

that;s a big problem i think

The_P

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2008, 08:48:10 AM »
Is it possible that the IRL meeting gives more of a false impression than the internet?

Without a doubt.  ;D

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2008, 09:24:55 AM »
I say some of the same shit I say on the net, in person and it will get me a negative reaction.   People are often shocked at what I say IRL.   They usually laugh though, as it is usually obvious I am joking and sarcastic (especially when I ape the insults of others).  I don't know anyone who actually dislikes me in real life, they just think I am extremely shy.   I will fight back when people talk shit about me online and even moreso in person.   My life is far from perfect, but it would be a stretch to call it a mess or anything.   I want everything on the net to be faster paced, that is why I like chat more than posting on forums.   I PM people fairly quickly and can keep up more than one conversation.

I meet judgemental people all the time, they just don't always let you know it up front.   I get false impressions from the net and in real life actually.   The net isn't realistic because I want to be more extreme there.   It wouldn't be as fun if it weren't like that to a degree.   Maybe I play too many videogames and have a secret love of roleplaying.

Someone from FFXI forums would associate me with Eternus, which is a purposefully cartoonish character and not really close to who I really am in person.   I can be argumentative and opinionated at times, but it isn't mean and confrontational like I am on those boards.   I just interject facts every once in a while into other people's arguments.  I rarely talk about things other than video games, music and weed with my friends lol.   Only one of my accounts on NFL boards has any RL info on me, and that is where I have sat in the stands at every game for the last 10 years to see the Jaguars lol.  The others are troll accounts for the purpose of starting shit.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2008, 10:12:25 AM »

Absolutely!

There are far too many dimensions to keep up with IRL, when you first meet a strange person.

You are also more pressed upon to either assess them as full of shit or for real, a tedious task, indeed, when on the net you can easily discount them as full of shit, with little or no recourse.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2008, 10:18:10 AM »

Absolutely!

There are far too many dimensions to keep up with IRL, when you first meet a strange person.

You are also more pressed upon to either assess them as full of shit or for real, a tedious task, indeed, when on the net you can easily discount them as full of shit, with little or no recourse.
I do take my time more to get to know a person more fully IRL before I start to really see them as a piece of crap in my eyes.    Still I can be civil with people online and in person that I don't like particularly.

The things you have to pay attention to IRL are too numerous compared to text.   That is why I can only do one conversation at a time IRL somewhat effectively, but I can handle several online in IM.

Soph

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2008, 10:25:46 AM »
i think people focus too much on what you are rather than who you are aIRL
whereas online the main thing is what you write or how you act, which is who you are
that has helped me get to know people better and get friends

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2008, 11:36:56 AM »

Absolutely!

I do take my time more to get to know a person more fully IRL before I start to really see them as a piece of crap in my eyes.    Still I can be civil with people online and in person that I don't like particularly.

The things you have to pay attention to IRL are too numerous compared to text.   That is why I can only do one conversation at a time IRL somewhat effectively, but I can handle several online in IM.

Are you saying that you deliberately disregard your first impression of new people you meet.

I certainly can't, because it is often less tainted. Sometimes it's wrong, but for reasons I had not seen from first inspection, usually.

I really try to give people my full measure of heed, but mostly they are offended by this. They don't want me looking so deeply into their souls most of the time, so I try hard to go with what they show. That's why it is so easy to recognise their bullshit. Bullshit rarely creates a functioning web of legitimacy.

I can't help but see breaches of parity or symmetry. That often offends as well.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2008, 11:51:08 AM »
I pay attention the first impression, but a person can prove to be otherwise later on (has happened at least three times).   Depends on how the person is around other people initially.  I know that I take a while to open up in real life, and that might make people think something about me other than me being shy or having AS.   A good portion of the time, a person is pretty close to the first impression they give.   Bullshitters are annoying as hell.   People who think they are so important like they are celebrities are fucking lame.   There is a line to cross on personal info that is safe imo, but I like to go past it at times.   I am pretty damn real here for the most part.