Educational

Author Topic: Wrong Planet.  (Read 16187 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Wrong Planet.
« Reply #555 on: August 05, 2008, 05:53:36 AM »
Nexus,

I think you sort of have a point, even though I disagree with the notion that you are only truly be gifted (whatever the degree) if you manage to make good use of those gifts. The whole idea implicates a kind of fairness that I believe just isn't there, even in the best of worlds. Only a select few ever get the chance to prove their worth; Illusionist, for example, advocates (and tries to excuse the sins of) a society who will do away with fellow humans based on their ethnic or religious backgrounds, or indeed anyone who deviates from the norm.

That society would gladly have done away with the likes of us, given half a chance.

As for what this topic is about, yes, it seems to be IQs at the moment. I rather regret mentioning mine, but it's done and I don't believe in deleting my posts, so...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #556 on: August 05, 2008, 05:56:46 AM »
Then how do you explain your prejudice and your childish behavior (replacing my avatar wiith some silly pic TWICE is quite childish)?

Not that I consider myself prejudiced, but as you have proven yourself, prejudice has very little to do with IQ.

And I have not touched your avatar.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #557 on: August 05, 2008, 06:03:32 AM »
HO-GANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

Werner Klemperer's father was Otto Klemperer, one of the greatest classical music conductors of the 20th century.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #558 on: August 05, 2008, 06:25:41 AM »
Der... what's an IQ?
Snap! I win.
Snap? Huh? 
:dunce:
You said yours was below average, I misered your trick with my comment. Therefore, I win.
But but, I don't understand.....I am not intelligent enough.
:P
Me am the smart! Me am the smart!  :P
Yes! Me smart good speak!
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #559 on: August 05, 2008, 06:43:48 AM »
Personally I think he is more of a Sergeant Schultz.

'I know nothing! i know nothing! I know nothing!'

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #560 on: August 05, 2008, 07:04:42 AM »
Nexus,

I think you sort of have a point, even though I disagree with the notion that you are only truly be gifted (whatever the degree) if you manage to make good use of those gifts. The whole idea implicates a kind of fairness that I believe just isn't there, even in the best of worlds. Only a select few ever get the chance to prove their worth; Illusionist, for example, advocates (and tries to excuse the sins of) a society who will do away with fellow humans based on their ethnic or religious backgrounds, or indeed anyone who deviates from the norm.

That society would gladly have done away with the likes of us, given half a chance.

As for what this topic is about, yes, it seems to be IQs at the moment. I rather regret mentioning mine, but it's done and I don't believe in deleting my posts, so...

Well I feel that having such intellect shouldn't be just be unused in potential to contribute to something, even if one has rather eccentric views like I do, it should be spent on at least trying to contribute something no matter how small to the world, even if it seems pointless and mundane. Although I wasn't trying to say it's a bad thing if people don't do anything with their intellect proactively and constructively, but it does makes their intellect untapped in personal influence, that oneself could have to others. Although the fear of persecution and alienation, due to deviance of status quo is a understandable deterrence to such open free thinking. Many people have died, sacrificed, suffered over it throughout history and still do, due to ignorance, paranoia and primitiveness of the majority 'norm' just for thinking outside of the norm alone. History has proven such savage primitive behaviors and herd mentality. But I don't blame plain ignorance purely for that attitude, I blame more fear of uncertainty, the inability to comprehend new ideas, theories and concepts that are 'alien', incomprehensible to those who are not as fortunate to instantly understand it. But you have to admit, the threat of feeling that what you believe in could be destroyed by one simple fact, terrifies people, making them feel insecure and question themselves, fearing that feeling of fallibility, being wrong, the feeling of uncertainty on the one key question 'why?' about the nature of life, society, existence in all aspects. However instead of trying to answer those questions for themselves, they rather protect their current beliefs, as their beliefs serves as a security blanket from that fear, even if it appears they're just arrogant.

To conclude, once people learn to let go of that fear and defensive attitude of holding beliefs so strongly, then humanity will truly advance beyond it's primitive ways and be at peace within themselves at least, and thus be tolerate to each others point of view. That is the best form of unity, sharing a common understanding that no-one can truly know anything as a absolute, and admit that know nothing for absolute certainty, but instead in certain probabilities. In this understanding, the implications mean that any answer can only reach a 99.99inf% probability of truth at most, considering that existence itself just is. It is something beyond comprehension and capacity to ever truly understand.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 07:13:28 AM by Nexus »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #561 on: August 05, 2008, 07:19:15 AM »
How about the people who are brilliant but whose intellect never shines in the eyes of the general society? Amongst their closest friends and family, they are known as wise and of exceptional intellect but because they are humble and self-deprecating, they do not consider themselves anything special and do not push themselves forward. They are also known as the quiet achievers.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #562 on: August 05, 2008, 07:23:48 AM »

I had theoK as that but he changed it
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #563 on: August 05, 2008, 07:27:37 AM »
Why doesn't he take the hint that we don't want to discuss the holocaust? I mean, he must be pretty dense if he hasn't caught on so far, and him with the stratospheric iQ of 138! He reminds me of somebody TCJ told me about on AFF - a dude now called Shrek who goes on and on about certain subjects. When he is asked to refrain because everybody is terminally bored, he tells them he "hears" them and just keeps rabbiting on. Even whe he is really "told" he still doesn't get the hint.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #564 on: August 05, 2008, 07:40:33 AM »
How about the people who are brilliant but whose intellect never shines in the eyes of the general society? Amongst their closest friends and family, they are known as wise and of exceptional intellect but because they are humble and self-deprecating, they do not consider themselves anything special and do not push themselves forward. They are also known as the quiet achievers.

Well they do contribute in a way rather selflessly too, even if they just speak to others close to them about their thoughts. There is a general principle on how they contribute and that is this: An idea, theory or concept may never die once it's expressed, providing the wielders of such knowledge of an intellectual mind eventually propagate it to others they know and the others do the same, and so on. This works better if the person maintains notes or a journal of their thoughts, as it reduces chance of corruption. That's how such contributions survive, distribution by curious and fascinated others who heard/read the original contributor; and then generations of people do the same, passing it down from generation to generation; probably even making a note in books about it (or if sophisticated enough, entire books dedicated to their ideas, theories and concepts). You get the picture, it's the butterfly effect at work.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 07:53:51 AM by Nexus »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #565 on: August 05, 2008, 07:56:21 AM »
They don't consider themselves anything special because that is exactly what they are.
Friends and family members tend to have biased opinions.
batcat

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #566 on: August 05, 2008, 08:27:59 AM »
I am a trolling, cowardly, whining bully-boy...that HAS to score some points!   :asthing: :asthing: :asthing:

Yes you are :agreed:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 08:31:14 AM by Nocturnalist! »

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #567 on: August 05, 2008, 12:27:50 PM »

isn't that Manuel?

(and just for odeon...  "eees hhhamster, Mr Folltee!"   :laugh: )

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #568 on: August 05, 2008, 02:00:59 PM »
:laugh:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #569 on: August 05, 2008, 03:19:19 PM »
I am a trolling, cowardly, whining bully-boy...that HAS to score some points!   :asthing: :asthing: :asthing:

Yes you are :agreed:

Of course you agree. You are a biased kind of an ass.  >:D
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap