Author Topic: people here anti ASD science?  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: people here anti ASD science?
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2007, 12:07:10 PM »
Hmm. If you don't mind me saying so, you seem like the kind of person that might have aspie-ish traits that might not go as far as to to net you the must-sought after DX. From what I've seen, you have a relatively healthy social life. A good thing from any perspective.  :laugh:

Thanks, though I was actually diagnosed.  A long time ago.  When I was messed up and met the criteria, but, assuming AS is actually something you can't "get over" (and taking into account what else might have caused the symptoms), it's possible it was a misdaognosis (though correct at the time because of the way DSM diagnoses are set up).

And there's a difference between being aspergian and being diagnosably aspergian.  You can have autistic traits left and right, but if your life is going okay and you're happy like you are, DSM says you can't be diagnosed.  Depending on your mood, you might be diagnosable one day but not the next.  But, unless you build your life around DSM, there's no bright line dividing aspies from NTs, so you don't need to consider yourself to be permanently stuck in either camp.  You can be on the fence.
Good point.  I mostly want to think of myself as me, no diagnostic label, no disclaimer.  (Well, save for "I am an evil bitch and will destroy you" but that's self-evident anyway.  :laugh: )

Yeah, this is what's crazy. One can clearly overcome
hurdles, and deal with people. Maybe find a niche,
where AS isn't a problem. But, the DX doesn't take
that into account - it's not some passing phase, yet
it requires that you be disturbed by it.

That's just contradictory.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2007, 12:09:24 PM »

rediculous to try and cure homsexuality...

I don't see the WHY of this. Hell, for some,
perhaps, but I'm pretty damned certain that
such matters of aesthetics could be overcome,
for me.

Probably more easily than learning to enjoy the
taste of Pepsi, for example. :laugh:

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2007, 12:10:09 PM »
kill everybody. that would solve it.
:agreed:

Soph

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2007, 12:43:45 PM »
i don't want to be cured straight :(

actually, i don't really care.

i can think of a lot of things more worthwhile to cure than the gayness though

Kosmonaut

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2007, 01:07:15 PM »

i think i could cure you of the gayness  :eyelash:

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2007, 02:26:03 PM »
Hmm. If you don't mind me saying so, you seem like the kind of person that might have aspie-ish traits that might not go as far as to to net you the must-sought after DX. From what I've seen, you have a relatively healthy social life. A good thing from any perspective.  :laugh:

Thanks, though I was actually diagnosed.  A long time ago.  When I was messed up and met the criteria, but, assuming AS is actually something you can't "get over" (and taking into account what else might have caused the symptoms), it's possible it was a misdaognosis (though correct at the time because of the way DSM diagnoses are set up).

Well, aspies stabilize after school; I'm not sure that I'd be able to get DX'd at this point, either, but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't disqualify my DX. There were other issues that led up to my DX that don't much affect me anymore.
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2007, 03:04:12 PM »

Well, aspies stabilize after school; I'm not sure that I'd be able to get DX'd at this point, either, but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't disqualify my DX. There were other issues that led up to my DX that don't much affect me anymore.

I stabilized after a whole bunch of things changed at once (no more meds that I actually didn't need, started exercising, started feeling good about myself, entering grad school, major move, ended a two-year relationship), but I still think it's not "genuine" Asperger's.

As to what DID lead up to the initial diagnoses, I could tick off pretty much every symptom I had and attribute it to something that had been happening to me.  (The social component is the biggest part of that- I moved a lot, and I mean a LOT, as a kid- 12 school moves before college, and about 30 house moves before college.  There may have been some (developmental?  Or just a matter of skill aquistition and acclimation in general?) window of opportunity for making lasting social connections that my frequent moving fucked up, and it took me awhile to catch up.  There were also a lot of anxiety-related symptoms, which, considering how messed up my childhood was (not to go emo there, but yeah), it's kind of like, "Well DUH I was gonna react badly to that."   :laugh:)

Don't want to argue it too much, but a couple of my friends who knew me when I was sure I DID have it have commented on that, and said that they kind of don't think I had it, either.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 03:08:15 PM by fkng srius »
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2007, 03:52:20 PM »

rediculous to try and cure homsexuality...

I don't see the WHY of this. Hell, for some,
perhaps, but I'm pretty damned certain that
such matters of aesthetics could be overcome,
for me.

Probably more easily than learning to enjoy the
taste of Pepsi, for example. :laugh:

im not sure i understand your position.... though i concede your point about pepsi
I am the Steppenwolf who never learned to dance.

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2007, 04:11:21 PM »
I think the main issue some people on the spectrum have with it is that the way we perceive the world is completely different due to our sensory differences, differing cognitive strengths/weaknesses and methods of processing information - some aspects such as learning to develop schemas and situational rigidity are sane responses to the world in which we have to operate and the deficits we have in working in it compared to non autistic people, but some seem clearly neurological. how do you reprogram an adult brain to learn to think differently? what impact would that have on our personalities or talents?

Do you see what I'm getting at? Autism is a double edged sword, and I think it is hard to separate the 'condition' from the individual, as some of our behaviours and learned preferences etc are a reaction to our neurological differences to the norm.  :-\

as always there is personal choice....

how many people here CHOOSE to take whatever meds they're on?

many people don't. they are forced into it. they are made to think there is something wrong with them. and unborn babies don't get the choice of remaining themselves. no, their uniqueness is stripped by geneologists who want the "perfect" un-unique offspring. >:(

I don't need no stinking "help". My outlook and perspective on things are my own, and no-one is going to alter them just because my line of thinking doesn't suit society at large.

In summary, go fuck yourselves.

that seems to be all you have to say about anything

im glad you enjoy your strengths and weaknesses.  im not on meds or anything else either... but i realize that other people have different views... and it's silly and immature to just go tell everyone to go fuck themselves.

people who think AS is a disorder should go fuck themselves. it's no more a disorder than NT.

I don't need no stinking "help". My outlook and perspective on things are my own, and no-one is going to alter them just because my line of thinking doesn't suit society at large.

In summary, go fuck yourselves.

DITTO!!!

fucking eugenics. it's like trying to cure homosexuality instead of trying to cure the world of biggotry and hatred for unique individuals. disgusting.

lol not everyone thinks like that...

rediculous to try and cure homsexuality... but there are some gay people who dont wish to be gay.

but a key diff is that most any gay person can function in society

i dont disagree that it's the WORLD that should change

but whatever... im more mature than just simply saying go fuck yourselves...

if you truly believe what you say... dont take any meds... dont apply for disability (cause nothing's wrong)... and quit crying

i don't have the fucking disability, the world does. so there IS something wrong. and you know there is something wrong with me like there is something wrong with everyone, aspies and NT both. AS is not a disorder if NT is not a disorder. both have weak points and strong points the other group does not have.

and it IS mature to say go fuck yourselves to people who want to change the ones who have some fucking sense of how the world should work. go fuck yourself if you think you're more mature than me cuz you're not as fucking passionate about an individual's right to fucking choose to be who they are. your line of work would lead to babies being stripped of their uniqueness. don't be naive and think the world will let your research only be used for good. ::)

and i'm not crying. you don't know jack shit about me.

you know, if you truly care about how the brain works, you shouldn't be so fucking black and white about it, cuz the brain is fucking grey through and through.

study NT behavior and NT brain functions and how they can be cured of their disabilities, if you really want to help the world. cuz i remember being bullied by NTs, not the other way around. i remember i was forced to do stupid things because the NTs were so fucking disabled they couldn't see a better way of doing things. all my life i've suffered from not being blind to crap like NTs are, not being numb like NTs are. i've made my mistakes but so have the NTs and we are all fucking equals. but we are not treated as equals so we aspies have to speak up for ourselves and say fuck you to the curebies. that is all.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2007, 04:14:51 PM »
Bad day?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2007, 04:32:09 PM »
PMS and wine. :laugh:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2007, 05:48:21 PM »

Yeah. It should be one's choice.
Why TRY and make yourself like
something different, for no good
reason?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2007, 05:49:42 PM »
gayness rules.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2007, 05:49:57 PM »
PMS and wine. :laugh:

I can cure the one, whilst taking advantage of the other.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2007, 05:50:51 PM »
gayness rules.

I don't think I agree. I think bi is better.
Just can't quite convince myself that I'm
interested in males.