Educational

Author Topic: Questions about the English language  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Questions about the English language
« on: November 11, 2007, 09:00:28 AM »
There's things about writing in English that keep bugging me, and which I've never found satisfactory answers to.  Should I write 'anymore' or 'any more'?  The former sounds right but comes up as an incorrect spelling while the latter seems wrong but comes up right in spell-checkers.  And what about making a contraction of 'there are'?  Is it correct to write "there's", as in "There's a lot of objects here.", when the full version would be "There are a lot of objects here."?  I've never come across "There're" used anywhere.  And what about quotations?  Is there only one way to do those, or is it a flexible system?  I know that I should use a new paragraph for each change of speaker in a dialogue, but what about nesting quotations inside other sentences?  Should it be "He said she said."?  Or "He said she said"?  Or something else?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Soph

Re: Questions about the English language
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:12:49 AM »
I think 'anymore' is right.
'There's' should be 'there're' I think, but I've never actually seen that word used. If it's plural though then 'there's' would be incorrect I think.
And I think it's "He said she said". But I don't know.
Damn I did A level English  :-[

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 09:15:50 AM »
I did higher English, but they never really taught us much grammar.  It was all about critiquing poems and stuff; we mostly only did grammar in foreign language classes.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

The_P

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 09:34:07 AM »
There's (contraction of the pronoun "there" and the auxiliary verb "is") in formal English is incorrect. If the "object" of a sentence is plural, it should be proceeded after "are" (also an auxiliary verb).

Subject: There
Verb: are
Object (noun phrase): a lot of things.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 10:00:12 AM by Mithos Yggdrasill »

The_P

Peter...
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 11:13:46 AM »
Who's your daddy? ;p

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 11:20:25 AM »
i think there's is acceptable, there're is stupid. ;D
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 11:27:37 AM »
There's (contraction of the pronoun "there" and the auxiliary verb "is") in formal English is incorrect. If the "object" of a sentence is plural, it should be proceeded after "are" (also an auxiliary verb).

My English language education didn't include any material on pronouns or auxiliary verbs that I remember.  I just learned it naturally, and intuit as I write, so I'm always a bit fuzzy on the specifics of the rules.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »
i learned naturally too, i don't have concentration for boring crap.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

The_P

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 12:18:03 PM »
I learned naturally too; I don't have the concentration for boring crap.

Better.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 12:23:18 PM by Mithos Yggdrasill »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »
Whether the punctuation belongs inside or outside the quotation marks depends on whether British English or American English conventions are followed.

A good guide to American conventions is Strunk and White's The Elements of Style, while a good guide to British conventions is Fowler's A Dictionary of Modern English Usage.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 12:22:50 PM »
I learned naturally too; I don't have concentration for boring crap.

Better.

bastard.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

The_P

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 12:27:09 PM »
I learned naturally too; I don't have the concentration for boring crap.

Better.

bastard.

You quoted me when I didn't include the definite article "the" before "concentration". :(

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 12:34:56 PM »
what the hell are you talking about? :laugh:
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 12:35:42 PM »
Whether the punctuation belongs inside or outside the quotation marks depends on whether British English or American English conventions are followed.

A good guide to American conventions is Strunk and White's The Elements of Style, while a good guide to British conventions is Fowler's A Dictionary of Modern English Usage.

That's probably the source of my uncertainty; I'll have seen both conventions and not known which one to use.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 02:56:05 PM »

Lot is singular. There's is correct.