Author Topic: It's GO TIME!!!!.....BABY!!!!!!  (Read 802 times)

Scrapheap

It's GO TIME!!!!.....BABY!!!!!!
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:31:11 PM »
Well, we're down to the final 2 races of the season and we're 3rd in points, but only 1 1/2 rounds out of the lead (30 points out of the lead, 20 points per round win) and we (Robert Height) qualified #1!!!!!!!!!111eleventyone!!!!

Qualifying results thus far

Too bad I couldn't make it to this weekends race in Las Vegas.  :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

Here's a pic of the #1 Qualifyer, Robert Height. Note the unpainted carbon-fiber body, that is 20 lbs lighter than a painted body.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: It's GO TIME!!!!.....BABY!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:39:16 PM »
Is paint that heavy?

Scrapheap

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 11:42:15 PM »
Is paint that heavy?

You'd be suprised. I stripped the paint off my dragster frame and used gun blueing on it instead, and saved 9 lbs.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 11:49:03 PM »
Is paint that heavy?

You'd be suprised. I stripped the paint off my dragster frame and used gun blueing on it instead, and saved 9 lbs.

A litre of water = 1 kilo in metric.  It figures that to not paint a car would make it lighter.  I'd also imagine paint is a lot denser than water depending on what type of paint it was.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 11:51:35 PM »
Is paint that heavy?

A litre of water = 1 kilo in metric.  It figures that to not paint a car would make it lighter.  I'd also imagine paint is a lot denser than water depending on what type of paint it was.

Yes, but paint dries, so I wondered how much weight dry paint adds.  It seems like such a thin layer, but apparently it adds up.

9 pounds is pretty subtantial, especially when every bit of weight you can save helps.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 12:31:22 AM »
Couldn't the carbon-fiber be a lighter
body?

duncvis

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 03:41:27 AM »
body?

like what? polystyrene? there can't be many materials with that kind of strength to weight ratio.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 03:44:37 AM »
Is paint that heavy?

Yes, but paint dries, so I wondered how much weight dry paint adds.  It seems like such a thin layer, but apparently it adds up.

9 pounds is pretty subtantial, especially when every bit of weight you can save helps.

I should know the answer to this question, yes, paint dries, however, you use a fair few litres of paint to do a car properly, so I can see some of the logic.

duncvis

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 03:46:59 AM »
The layer isn't so thin either, most automotive finishes are acrylic based and once you've got a basecoat, some colour and lacquer on top it soon adds up.

<<--- used to work in a body shop :P

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 03:52:00 AM »
The layer isn't so thin either, most automotive finishes are acrylic based and once you've got a basecoat, some colour and lacquer on top it soon adds up.

<<--- used to work in a body shop :P

My family ran one for two generations, that's what I was getting at, there is actually a lot on there if it is a good paint job..

duncvis

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 03:54:21 AM »
fucking hell... we have something in common. my dad's been in the trade most of his working life, I grew up in garages. was too cack-handed to follow in his footsteps though other than as a 'get' :P

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 04:19:34 AM »
fucking hell... we have something in common. my dad's been in the trade most of his working life, I grew up in garages. was too cack-handed to follow in his footsteps though other than as a 'get' :P

You would never have guessed, would you?  :P  Yes, I'm a girl and I've detailed cars and sanded them ready for painting (so really, I guess that makes 3 generations).  I was a bit of a gun at it, but you know, it was just for money outside of school in afternoons and night time - we used to work long hours.  I could zone out and just do it.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 04:53:59 AM »
body?

like what? polystyrene? there can't be many materials with that kind of strength to weight ratio.
:asthing:

I meant lighter than whatever the painted body is
made of.  :laugh:

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
Is paint that heavy?

Yeah, all you have to do is lift up a gallon can of paint, then figure out how many cans of paint were used to paint a given item. The average auto body can take take from two to four cans of paint, when you figure in not only the top coat that you see, but also the primer, and the initial antirust coating over the bare body panels.
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 11:27:07 PM »
the can weighs too though.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde: