Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 356346 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #26955 on: January 26, 2011, 05:40:19 AM »
I was born 40 years and 5 minutes ago. I'm old.  :(

Congrats, anyway. You'll find that 40 really isn't that old.
How old are you when you realize you weren't old when you were 40?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26956 on: January 26, 2011, 06:40:13 AM »

45. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #26957 on: January 26, 2011, 08:46:43 AM »

Cool, Tig!

... at least forty more before you blow yourself up, eh?

I hope so. :toporly:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #26958 on: January 26, 2011, 09:16:35 AM »

I often wish that getting the right answer was enough.

My daughter's schooling is now getting into the kind of mathematical calculation that must be proven correct, for her to attain credit for doing the calculation.  She is at tears for not being able to explain to the satisfaction of her instructors, within the system defined by the mathematical process in question, how she always gets the right answers. She does not want to go through the torture of re-stating things she already knows at this point in her education.

Sound familiar?

Is the teacher willing to explore if the way your daughter calculates will work at bigger and more complicated calculations too?

I know some ways of approaching of a calculation will only be effective of the more simple assignments, but, some kids find a strategy that will work, no matter how complicated it gets. After a year my brother had a teacher willing to explore the "powers" of my brother. He had to conclude that no matter how complicated he made it, the method of my brother worked, and therefore, he gave in to my brother. My youngest has to give in to learning different strategies, because her strategies will only work on the more simple sums.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26959 on: January 26, 2011, 12:48:34 PM »
Thinking about an output card in the Dolby processor. It's failing.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26960 on: January 26, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »
I'll be 23 soon and feel too old

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26961 on: January 26, 2011, 03:41:11 PM »

While we're on this subject, how old were you when you realized 25 wasn't old?

(I have no particular reason whatsoever for asking, of course)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #26962 on: January 26, 2011, 03:46:07 PM »

I do understand the instructors as well, but I just do not know what to do the help her past this stage.

:'(

You do what you do, Dawg. You worry about her and you recognise her problem, which is a hell of a lot more than many other parents do in a similar situation.

I am so proud of her today, because she made it through the rigorous steps of defining her approach (and it was as close to perfect as I have seen. I was so impressed with my own son's genius, but it is becoming apparent that my daughter is - not only less severely autistic, but - possibly more capable of dealing with daily life) in this one assignment  and laid it all out in a format that proves her mental process is at least in step with what is expected of her. (we spent a lot of time together last night, between her vomiting. She is getting a cold, again - a cold always seems to attack her digestive system, first).

The obvious question is:  Can she do it all again and every time is is expected of her? I think not, but she had a great day, despite her impending sickness.  (maybe the approaching illness has altered her set-in ways?)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:48:16 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26963 on: January 26, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
Wish I had a door in this doorway

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #26964 on: January 26, 2011, 03:57:45 PM »

I often wish that getting the right answer was enough.

My daughter's schooling is now getting into the kind of mathematical calculation that must be proven correct, for her to attain credit for doing the calculation.  She is at tears for not being able to explain to the satisfaction of her instructors, within the system defined by the mathematical process in question, how she always gets the right answers. She does not want to go through the torture of re-stating things she already knows at this point in her education.

Sound familiar?

Is the teacher willing to explore if the way your daughter calculates will work at bigger and more complicated calculations too?

I know some ways of approaching of a calculation will only be effective of the more simple assignments, but, some kids find a strategy that will work, no matter how complicated it gets. After a year my brother had a teacher willing to explore the "powers" of my brother. He had to conclude that no matter how complicated he made it, the method of my brother worked, and therefore, he gave in to my brother. My youngest has to give in to learning different strategies, because her strategies will only work on the more simple sums.

I think that they thought that they could. They put my daughter in the most advanced class, last year, but they have since stated that she does not belong there.

So, I guess, I have to answer, "NO. She does not have a teacher, except myself."
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26965 on: January 26, 2011, 04:19:02 PM »
Y'know, my typical reaction to the idea of "kink" used to be anxiety.  Now, it's more varied.  "Hey, that sounds OK if it's not too hardcore," is an infrequent response.  More often it's "Ehw, that's DISGUSTING," or "You'd have to be fucking INSANE to try that, unless you watered it WAY the hell down."  And even more often than that, it's "How long can you *possibly* do that without getting bored?  That sounds RETARDED," or, more simply, "...but... but... that sounds DUMB."

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26966 on: January 26, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »

While we're on this subject, how old were you when you realized 25 wasn't old?

(I have no particular reason whatsoever for asking, of course)

Around 25, actually.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26967 on: January 26, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »

I do understand the instructors as well, but I just do not know what to do the help her past this stage.

:'(

You do what you do, Dawg. You worry about her and you recognise her problem, which is a hell of a lot more than many other parents do in a similar situation.

I am so proud of her today, because she made it through the rigorous steps of defining her approach (and it was as close to perfect as I have seen. I was so impressed with my own son's genius, but it is becoming apparent that my daughter is - not only less severely autistic, but - possibly more capable of dealing with daily life) in this one assignment  and laid it all out in a format that proves her mental process is at least in step with what is expected of her. (we spent a lot of time together last night, between her vomiting. She is getting a cold, again - a cold always seems to attack her digestive system, first).

The obvious question is:  Can she do it all again and every time is is expected of her? I think not, but she had a great day, despite her impending sickness.  (maybe the approaching illness has altered her set-in ways?)

Maybe she can do it enough times to satisfy the needs of her teachers? Surely her situation is something that the teachers can appreciate?

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26968 on: January 26, 2011, 05:11:59 PM »
Around 25, actually.

I'm not quiiiite there yet and I still feel about eight billion.  :/

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26969 on: January 26, 2011, 05:22:06 PM »
Tempted to go back on the drugs that trigger my seizures. Would they allow that?