Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 352892 times)

eris

Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #26700 on: January 01, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »
see that is the thing, this is all just advanced fuckotry  ;)

No, discordians dont feel the need to do anything. Its a parody of itself. We dont take ourselves too seriously, and I am infact not a disordian at all.

but, back to nonsense

again, you're talking about order. order is only half the story. you're trying to explain "reality" as something fixed. Any  argument that can be concieved can be counteracted by someone who holds those beliefs to be their truths.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:46:02 PM by eris »

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #26701 on: January 01, 2011, 11:50:26 PM »
see that is the thing, this is all just advanced fuckotry  ;)

No, discordians dont feel the need to do anything. Its a parody of itself. We dont take ourselves too seriously, and I am infact not a disordian at all.

but, back to nonsense

you're talking about order. you're trying to explain "reality" as something fixed. Any  argument that can be concieved can be counteracted by someone who holds those beliefs to be their truths.

The method of operation of any rational discipline is that the practitioners agree on a common set of axioms (or they disagree on some of them and form different schools of thought), and then they extrapolate new information from old information, sometimes by incorporating observations about the real world. If people don't agree on at least a few basic tenets, no rational discipline can exist. While it is possible that the world is an illusion and nothing is what it seems, trusting rational disciplines to bring about positive changes in society is a strategy that has proven itself throughout history. The alternative is chaos, and chaos is a very unproductive state of being.

Or this could all be advanced fuckotry. ;)
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

eris

« Reply #26702 on: January 02, 2011, 12:00:22 AM »
we could counteract logical arguments all night, and then we can start counteracting illogical arguments. and they would make just as much sense.

1+1 will equal 45 , 2345234, carrots, and nothing all at one and never, all at the same time depending upon current interpretation

my ultimate point about all of this is that things are _balanced_ , meaning equal, meaning meaningless,

ultimatly, If truth can change, then it is not really the  truth.

that would contradict the meaning of the word truth !

eris

« Reply #26703 on: January 02, 2011, 12:09:20 AM »

While it is possible that the world is an illusion and nothing is what it seems, trusting rational disciplines to bring about positive changes in society is a strategy that has proven itself throughout history. The alternative is chaos, and chaos is a very unproductive state of being.

trust is the ultimate word there

yes you are right, if you TRUST that a rational discipline will bring about change proves itself bcause that is what most thinking people choose to believe

It is what we believe to be true  that will always be the only truths.

i agree that "existential nothingness" is dangerous if you are an asshole, but you are confusing chaos with disorder again. Chaos is everything so it is the good stuff too.

I think everyone should try to save the world in their own way, and I believe in positive thinking :) ( even though it is sometimes hard to practice)

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #26704 on: January 02, 2011, 12:10:17 AM »
we could counteract logical arguments all night, and then we can start counteracting illogical arguments. and they would make just as much sense.

1+1 will equal 45 , 2345234, carrots, and nothing all at one and never, all at the same time depending upon current interpretation

my ultimate point about all of this is that things are _balanced_ , meaning equal, meaning meaningless,

ultimatly, If truth can change, then it is not really the  truth.

that would contradict the meaning of the word truth !

You saying something does not automatically make it true. 1 + 1 = 2 in all mathematical systems, assuming that the basic assumptions of the systems are the same. When you say that the truth changes, you are using philosophical mumbo-jumbo to justify ignoring changes in definitions. 1 + 1 = 2 is not true all by itself. That statement is really shorthand for a list of all of the basic assumptions of mathematics, all of the definitions of mathematics and all of the logical steps that are required to deduce that 1 + 1 = 2. When you say that the truth changes, you are really changing the basic assumptions of the system in such a way as to make 1 + 1 not equal 2, and then you are claiming that your statement disproves that 1 + 1 =2 in our normal mathematical system, which it does not.

Furthermore, the idea of "true" in a statement of fact is a different concept from the idea of "true" in a statement of opinion. One is an objective truth that can be agreed upon by all rational users of a system, and the other is a subjective truth that may or may not be true for other rational people.

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #26705 on: January 02, 2011, 12:12:11 AM »

While it is possible that the world is an illusion and nothing is what it seems, trusting rational disciplines to bring about positive changes in society is a strategy that has proven itself throughout history. The alternative is chaos, and chaos is a very unproductive state of being.

trust is the ultimate word there

yes you are right, if you TRUST that a rational discipline will bring about change proves itself bcause that is what most thinking people choose to believe

It is what we believe to be true  that will always be the only truths.

i agree that "existential nothingness" is dangerous if you are an asshole, but you are confusing chaos with disorder again. Chaos is everything so it is the good stuff too.

I think everyone should try to save the world in their one way, and I believe in positive thinking :) ( even though it is sometimes hared to practice)

Indeed. Some degree of faith is required in all rational systems.

eris

« Reply #26706 on: January 02, 2011, 12:20:18 AM »
how are things fixed and able to be understood rationally if things are constanty changing ?

and I agree with you ! that there are circles of order everywhere and 99.999999999999999999999999999999999 off to nearly infinity percent of the time someone can com up with a rational explanation for something.

problem is that all this jazz isnt rational . you keep talking about ordered statements. and you can explain ordered things and they will have subjective truths, but there is more than just order going on. Its like a great big orgasm I think.

Do you know what the final answer to this argument is ?

Five tons of flax :)

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #26707 on: January 02, 2011, 12:25:58 AM »
how are things fixed and able to be understood rationally if things are constanty changing ?

and I agree with you ! that there are circles of order everywhere and 99.999999999999999999999999999999999 off to nearly infinity percent of the time someone can com up with a rational explanation for something.

problem is that all this jazz isnt rational . you keep talking about ordered statements. and you can explain ordered things and they will have subjective truths, but there is more than just order going on. Its like a great big orgasm I think.

Do you know what the final answer to this argument is ?

Five tons of flax :)

You know, an orgasm can be explained using rational, ordered scientific principles. ;)

I do not believe that we will ever agree on the issue of whether or not the universe is rational. I believe that the universe can be explained by the use of the various rational disciplines. Over time, refinement of the disciplines will allow humanity to explain the universe to within an arbitrary error level at some point in time (provided that we don't go extinct). I have no rational reason for believing this, except for the fact that it is expedient and I like it. I take it on faith.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #26708 on: January 02, 2011, 12:26:56 AM »

Osensitive1

« Reply #26709 on: January 02, 2011, 12:37:06 AM »
Except in the case of fusion.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #26710 on: January 02, 2011, 12:44:25 AM »
Except in the case of fusion.

Nuclear fusion?

Even then, E=γmc2.

Osensitive1

« Reply #26711 on: January 02, 2011, 12:52:11 AM »
Just up past my bedtime and being contrary. Lol. 1+1=1

eris

« Reply #26712 on: January 02, 2011, 01:30:03 AM »
1 + 1 = 2 only if you correctly answer the question

to dumb people it is also other numbers :) It is whatever they thought it was

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26713 on: January 02, 2011, 05:07:55 AM »
1 + 1 = 2 only if you correctly answer the question

to dumb people it is also other numbers :) It is whatever they thought it was

I say that in binary arithemetic, 1 + 1 = 10

:P

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26714 on: January 02, 2011, 01:17:44 PM »
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary numbers and those who don't. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein