Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 366757 times)

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #18075 on: October 19, 2008, 07:38:19 AM »
I'd like to get laser eye surgery one day.  I'm not sure about it though; my eyesight has been getting gradually worse over the years, to the point now where I struggle to make out signs and faces across the street without my glasses, so if I get them done now, will they be bad again in a few years?  Also, the longer I wait, the more the price of the more advanced treatments should drop, too, and I'd like better-than-average sight if at all possible.

I can barely see without glasses: my eyes are -5.5 and -6.0 ( whatever units they are).
It would be nice to wake up with good vision without need for specs, but I'm quite happy wearing them so have never been tempted by the laser treatment. Considering the downside and the fact that I don't mind wearing glasses I think it would be a bad gamble.
I thought the treatment was permanent  - I guess it depends on the condition. I'm pretty sure it is for myopia.
batcat

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18076 on: October 19, 2008, 08:07:02 AM »
You could try contacts? I used to really like them when I wore them, you can get different colours and they are easier to wear now.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18077 on: October 19, 2008, 10:54:17 AM »
Thinking about my eyes. :-\
I think about mine too, lately. They are getting noticeably out of alignment lately and it scares me.  :(

Enough for you to consider corrective surgery?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #18078 on: October 19, 2008, 11:14:44 AM »
Whats up with them? :S

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18079 on: October 19, 2008, 11:19:19 AM »
Whats up with them? :S

The vitreous humour is detaching from the retinas and as a result I'm seeing weird spots and things. It's a perfectly normal, age-related thing, but I've been obsessive-compulsive about my eyes for years, for various reasons, and it's freaking me out completely.

:GA:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #18080 on: October 19, 2008, 04:28:29 PM »
I'd like to get laser eye surgery one day.  I'm not sure about it though; my eyesight has been getting gradually worse over the years, to the point now where I struggle to make out signs and faces across the street without my glasses, so if I get them done now, will they be bad again in a few years?  Also, the longer I wait, the more the price of the more advanced treatments should drop, too, and I'd like better-than-average sight if at all possible.

I can barely see without glasses: my eyes are -5.5 and -6.0 ( whatever units they are).
It would be nice to wake up with good vision without need for specs, but I'm quite happy wearing them so have never been tempted by the laser treatment. Considering the downside and the fact that I don't mind wearing glasses I think it would be a bad gamble.
I thought the treatment was permanent  - I guess it depends on the condition. I'm pretty sure it is for myopia.

If it's dioptres, good lord!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #18081 on: October 19, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »
I think the thing that I like most about my recently purchased (well, hell! I've had them for about three months - long enough to assess them.) Sony headphones is that they can actually get fairly loud and still sound good. That's quite a tall order in my book.
I have several sets of professional headphones which will rip your head off with ultra-clean exceedingly high volume if you want, but they all have a clinical, alcohol-in-the-doctors-office, diamond-edge, flat-water sound to them, which, backed up by a about three generations of scientists in the industry, is necessary for studio work.

These "consumer grade"  Sony wireless 'phones have a musical voice built-in that is pleasing and even when pushed, that musical voice remains pleasing over a long period of time.

Never before imagined I would say such a thing about a Sony product which was not designed as a blade to wear against the very barriers of our latest technological advancements.  These are fucking headphones for chrissakes and they are well-built and cleverly timbered.!?!.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18082 on: October 19, 2008, 09:00:04 PM »
I think about mine too, lately. They are getting noticeably out of alignment lately and it scares me.  :(
Definitely. The problem is, I had six operations on them by the time I was seven to correct a squint (strabismus). They failed. I couldn't have any more operations after that because the doctors said there was too much scar tissue. Maybe that has changed since it has been many years since they said that? Probably will have to go and see an ophthalmologist.

It is just in the last few years, though, that I have needed prismatic lenses to try and align my eyes since they have been moving apart (outwards). The optometrist said, "massively prismatic" so that kind of scared me further.  :( Have also been told that if I stop using my left eye (which I hardly do), I can go blind in that eye.  :(

Heheh probably TMI.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18083 on: October 20, 2008, 05:59:14 AM »
Definitely. The problem is, I had six operations on them by the time I was seven to correct a squint (strabismus). They failed. I couldn't have any more operations after that because the doctors said there was too much scar tissue. Maybe that has changed since it has been many years since they said that? Probably will have to go and see an ophthalmologist.

It is just in the last few years, though, that I have needed prismatic lenses to try and align my eyes since they have been moving apart (outwards). The optometrist said, "massively prismatic" so that kind of scared me further.  :( Have also been told that if I stop using my left eye (which I hardly do), I can go blind in that eye.  :(

Heheh probably TMI.

I've had five operations to date, and been told the same thing. there is too much scar tissue. :(

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18084 on: October 20, 2008, 09:07:14 PM »
When did you have them and what for?
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #18085 on: October 21, 2008, 04:56:24 AM »
About going back to sleep
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18086 on: October 21, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »

The first was when I was three or four, the second a year or so after that, yet another one while in third grade, and #4 and 5 sometime during the nineties. They were all for correcting strabismus.

All in all, I would probably have been better off without them. :-\

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18087 on: October 22, 2008, 06:49:46 AM »

The first was when I was three or four, the second a year or so after that, yet another one while in third grade, and #4 and 5 sometime during the nineties. They were all for correcting strabismus.

Have you ever tried vision therapy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_therapy

http://www.visiontherapy.org/

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18088 on: October 22, 2008, 01:54:53 PM »

Have you ever tried vision therapy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_therapy

http://www.visiontherapy.org/

No, I have not. Well, unless the stuff you do after surgery counts. But this seems very different. I'll ask my doctor about this.

:plus:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18089 on: October 22, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »
isn't the bates method rather discredited, though?