Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 366169 times)

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #17775 on: September 12, 2008, 07:55:43 AM »
No, I'm just presenting a factoid of life.  YOU CAN BE YOURSELF.  BUT, when your doing what you need to survive, even thrive, then you learn to use facades, BUT, when you can, you drop the facade and be yourself.

everybody has personae - what you call facades - for different parts of their life: job person, parent person, friend person, etc.  we all behave differently with different people and in different situations.  so it's not so much a matter of being fake as developing a particular persona.  yes, it can feel as though it's fake, but as ozy says (and i agree with all of his post), it's about learning to behave in certain ways, which is exactly what i did.

Ack, I must be completely not saying what I thought I was saying.

I've got no problem with facades, personae, whatever. I have no moral problem with learning to behave in ways that are effective. That's what I've already done.

But what's effective has changed. I'm not having the effect I wanted. I know how I need to change, I think - it's just something I'm scared to do. And I can't find a middle ground between too scared to function smoothly and not changing at all.

This is starting to sound ridiculous even to me. But I don't know how else to explain.
Still doing the huge company job in Orlando?   Is that the big change that is throwing you?    I am pretty sure that you can adjust to Orlando, I found a way to.   Once you get to the city and become acclimated with your workplace you will better know what kind of personae will benefit you socially.   I would not fret about it too much right now.   You will know more once you get there and experience it firsthand.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17776 on: September 12, 2008, 10:22:05 AM »
Hmm... I wonder if he's stalked me to here, too... that would be hilarious.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #17777 on: September 12, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »
Wouldn't it be?

(... at least I'm on board  (peripherally) with your randomness, so far. You will have to try harder.  ... or his harder. dunno)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #17778 on: September 12, 2008, 10:29:28 AM »
Who stalked you to here?
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17779 on: September 12, 2008, 01:08:33 PM »
No Llamas? :(

If you insist.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17780 on: September 12, 2008, 01:47:39 PM »
No, I'm just presenting a factoid of life.  YOU CAN BE YOURSELF.  BUT, when your doing what you need to survive, even thrive, then you learn to use facades, BUT, when you can, you drop the facade and be yourself.

everybody has personae - what you call facades - for different parts of their life: job person, parent person, friend person, etc.  we all behave differently with different people and in different situations.  so it's not so much a matter of being fake as developing a particular persona.  yes, it can feel as though it's fake, but as ozy says (and i agree with all of his post), it's about learning to behave in certain ways, which is exactly what i did.

Ack, I must be completely not saying what I thought I was saying.

I've got no problem with facades, personae, whatever. I have no moral problem with learning to behave in ways that are effective. That's what I've already done.

i thought that...

But what's effective has changed. I'm not having the effect I wanted. I know how I need to change, I think - it's just something I'm scared to do. And I can't find a middle ground between too scared to function smoothly and not changing at all.

okay, then it's about identifying and working with or around the fear.

This is starting to sound ridiculous even to me. But I don't know how else to explain.

nope, it sounds very familiar, and is a hell of a lot more common than you might think.

much as i think a lot of self help book are just good for a laugh, "feel the fear and do it anyway" by susan jeffers has some very good, practical advice.  i'm probably biased, but i suspect it's cos she's a brit and not some californian new age guru that she makes sense.  mind you, it's a while since i read it...

laugh if you will, but i used to use the Litany of Fear from "Dune" when i got into a pickle - you know, when your head starts looping, and there seems to be no way out?  it worked.

yep, i'm completely insane.  but "by any means necessary" and all that.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17781 on: September 12, 2008, 03:04:56 PM »
ii used to use the Litany of Fear from "Dune" when i got into a pickle - you know, when your head starts looping, and there seems to be no way out?  it worked.

That's my kind of insane. 

:plus:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17782 on: September 12, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
Still doing the huge company job in Orlando?   Is that the big change that is throwing you?    I am pretty sure that you can adjust to Orlando, I found a way to.   Once you get to the city and become acclimated with your workplace you will better know what kind of personae will benefit you socially.   I would not fret about it too much right now.   You will know more once you get there and experience it firsthand.

The big change will likely be a relief. It's the waiting that's been throwing me. And you're right that once I get into the workplace, personae will become more clear.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17783 on: September 12, 2008, 03:21:26 PM »
Oops.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17784 on: September 12, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »
ii used to use the Litany of Fear from "Dune" when i got into a pickle - you know, when your head starts looping, and there seems to be no way out?  it worked.

yay!  i'm not a lone loony!

ozymandias

« Reply #17785 on: September 12, 2008, 04:15:37 PM »

I don't know that litany from "Dune", but desperation and frustration  always worked for me to make the needed changes or leap of faith that made  my life better!  But then again, what works for me may not work for anybody else. 

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17786 on: September 12, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »
Who stalked you to here?
Dude who googled me- it's fine he did given the context; just sort of legit wonder.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

ozymandias

« Reply #17787 on: September 12, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
Who stalked you to here?
Dude who googled me- it's fine he did given the context; just sort of legit wonder.

Ah, the scent of a woman drives another man mad with desire!   :P

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17788 on: September 13, 2008, 01:28:21 AM »

I don't know that litany from "Dune", but desperation and frustration  always worked for me to make the needed changes or leap of faith that made  my life better!  But then again, what works for me may not work for anybody else. 

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17789 on: September 13, 2008, 12:37:16 PM »
yay, callaway!   :plus: