Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 343658 times)

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #12765 on: November 28, 2007, 12:09:18 AM »
it seems the mythbusters did a crappy job trying to find the brown noise, is all. :laugh:

I need to listen to 3DG more often.  I went too damn long without.

what is 3DG?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12766 on: November 28, 2007, 02:33:11 AM »
I've felt my stomach getting upset by a subwoofer we used to have at the cinema (a Sensurround speaker that I have in my garage now ;D) but not enough for the embarrassing, er, action. I stood right next to it when we were testing frequency sweeps.

I've heard about that effect on the eyes, DD, but I haven't had the opportunity to test it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #12767 on: November 28, 2007, 10:01:53 AM »
I still can't believe that I fell asleep during Hogfather. Stupid body, who the fuck told it I need sleep?
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #12768 on: November 28, 2007, 10:22:53 AM »
Mom thinks I am neive, she invited her social worker to stay with me.  He is moving and said tempting because he didn't have to pay rent.  How fucking neive does she think I am?  South shore is not going to allow that, she is trying to start trouble.  I would  be a good sport though, try not to get into squabbles. The guy is himself might be neive.  He fucked up a few times where I would not.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12769 on: November 28, 2007, 04:52:23 PM »

I came up to a STOP sign and below it was sign that said,"Cross traffic does not stop," and it made me wonder.

If they are this cross, now, and they don't even have to stop, how cross will they be if I get in their way?

Fuck 'em!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #12770 on: November 28, 2007, 05:19:05 PM »
Thank god I have ocd. I can't believe someone would even use hotel cups.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12771 on: November 29, 2007, 01:44:33 AM »
I can probably stay a little longer before I have to start getting ready.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12772 on: November 29, 2007, 01:57:20 AM »
Nope, I have to go. Wish me luck.  :-\

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12773 on: November 29, 2007, 04:53:35 AM »

Good luck.  They will be lucky to have you.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12774 on: November 29, 2007, 07:58:21 AM »
I've felt my stomach getting upset by a subwoofer we used to have at the cinema (a Sensurround speaker that I have in my garage now ;D) but not enough for the embarrassing, er, action. I stood right next to it when we were testing frequency sweeps.

I've heard about that effect on the eyes, DD, but I haven't had the opportunity to test it.

I had not heard anything about this effect when I built the resonator cabinet.
I had read that low frequency (sub-audible) sound pressure causes people to panic. The theory is that evolution has taught us that only large, dangerous things produce these types of sounds and we should always fear them and "run away."

I had also read sketchy accounts of how Hitler, on the advice of some of his best scientists, used this low frequency technique to drum up his audiences into a state of frenzy. I was intrigued! I wanted to play with this idea, so I built a system, using Hemholtz's theories, to create high pressure sub-audible tones. I was in my twenties and had only a smattering of education about acoustics at the time. Just getting started, so to speak. It worked quite well, though. It made VERY LOUD sub-bass noise!

It was only after I began using a sweep generator, instead of a steady tone generator, that I realized that at certain frequencies the "air" was excited to the point that it became difficult to see through. At first I was convinced that the effect was due to the building, where my dad's shop was and that the dust in the air was becoming "aligned" in some way, following the waveforms.

My theory did not hold after I thought about the wavelengths I was producing. If this was because of "dust in the air," then I would be able to step a few feet away from the sound source and the effect would change and become more or less prominent - possibly displaced to another part of the room. I should have been able to find nodes and nulls from acoustic cancellation and reinforcement. I KNEW that much.

All I could really prove at first was that I, along with all the friends who I could convince to listen to me, became very agitated during any attempts to figure out what was going on. We faught like chickens!  My first idea, to try to repeat Hitler's speech frenzies, was apparently working on some level.

I had actually used the system, secretly, under the stage at a large religious recital I was working sound on, and I saw the people in the near rows going nuts. I don't believe that it was only due to the preacher's face, either. I feel like I had abruptly altered his message to many of his followers with my resonator. I used it three times with the same ("Dr. Oreo", I called him) religious recitalist, but I became afraid, at this point, that I would be discovered and it would reflect badly on my sound jobs if anyone happened  to grasp what I was doing.
I just did a google but came up with the wrong "Dr. Oreo." It was a Mexican man in his late years in the seventies who I "pranked,"  not this woman from Pennsylvania. Maybe it was a relative or something, but Diorio is not an uncommon name in certain circles.

I had shelved the enclosure for a couple of years and pulled the drivers out of it to use elsewhere when I read about the resonance of the human eyeball/socket and began to play with the system again. That is when I was more able to understand what I was doing and created a repeatable visual disturbance in anyone willing to let me "Play With Their Emotions."

BTW, good luck on your outing!!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #12775 on: November 29, 2007, 09:19:59 AM »
I am thinking that I have to find a way to end my cycle of procrastination.   I have a paper due Friday and all I did last night is bullshit and generally put off writing it.   I only wrote the introduction, then I went to sleep haha.   Probably didn't help that I drank a few pints with friends at a bar beforehand.   I had never been to that bar/restaurant at night, it just happened to be Ladies Night too lol.   At least the waitresses there are hot, because there sure wasn't much talent there otherwise.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #12776 on: November 29, 2007, 09:35:28 AM »
Yet another excitement awaited Tesla’s visitors at the laboratory. Tesla had been perfecting a mechanical oscillator, a sort of engine that would produce alternating current of a high frequency. The inventor had noticed an interesting effect of the machine: it produced significant vibrations. Tesla wondered if these vibrations might have therapeutic or health benefits, and one day when Mark Twain was at his lab the author asked if he might experience these vibrations himself.

As the story goes, Mr. Twain stood on a platform of the machine while Tesla set the oscillator into operation. Twain was enjoying himself greatly and exclaimed: "This gives you vigour and vitality." After some time Tesla warned the writer that he should come down, but Twain was having fun and he refused. Tesla again insisted, but Twain stayed on the machine for several minutes more until, suddenly, he exclaimed: "Quick,Tesla. Where is it?"

Tesla directed his friend to the restroom. Twain had experienced first hand what had been known to the laboratory workers for some time: the laxative effect of the machine’s vibrations.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12777 on: November 29, 2007, 12:09:14 PM »

:) Thanks, Callaway.

I'm back now, anyway. I liked both of the interviewers so (I think) we had a good talk. I didn't make a complete fool out of myself (I hope). They'll let me know by mid-December.

A three-hour drive there, a one-hour interview, and a three-hour drive back in the dark, though. I'm exhausted. I need a beer.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12778 on: November 29, 2007, 12:28:30 PM »

:) Thanks, Callaway.

I'm back now, anyway. I liked both of the interviewers so (I think) we had a good talk. I didn't make a complete fool out of myself (I hope). They'll let me know by mid-December.

A three-hour drive there, a one-hour interview, and a three-hour drive back in the dark, though. I'm exhausted. I need a beer.

If you get the job, will you have to move?

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #12779 on: November 29, 2007, 12:46:46 PM »
I bought some ginger and cayenne pepper, folks, chuck 2tsp of ginger in water, you will not be dissatisfied.  Ginger is an adaptogen, which means, helps the body balance its response to stress.  Secondly, it make me a horny bastard, worse than I usually am.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!