Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 362631 times)

purposefulinsanity

Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #8340 on: May 11, 2007, 12:22:15 PM »
It was only a plant  ???

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #8341 on: May 11, 2007, 12:22:33 PM »
I thought a PLANT would be safe.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #8342 on: May 11, 2007, 12:23:27 PM »

What was wrong with it?  It didn't make me go yuck?  ???  ???

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8343 on: May 11, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »

Yes, I want to know too.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

duncvis

« Reply #8344 on: May 11, 2007, 12:27:10 PM »
khat, eh?  :eyebrows:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8345 on: May 11, 2007, 12:27:23 PM »
What is a cheese plant, anyway?

Dosn't cheese grow as a yeast infection in cows?

One of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monstera_deliciosa
Not yuck!
I used to have a Monstera in south Texas, but I'm not sure of the species. I love them, but around here (Indiana) one as big as yours would be in a museum or something. People overwater them to death.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8346 on: May 11, 2007, 12:27:27 PM »
i looked. it wasn't yucky. :o
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #8347 on: May 11, 2007, 12:27:53 PM »
It looks like moldy yuck inside the fruit.

Almost as bad as kiwi.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8348 on: May 11, 2007, 12:29:32 PM »
khat, eh?  :eyebrows:

Yes, khat.   :eyebrows:

Apparently it makes a very good house-plant, although that's incidental to why I'm growing it.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8349 on: May 11, 2007, 12:31:01 PM »

Yes, I want to know too.

I want to know about this curiosity, from the wiki entry:

"Ethnomedical Uses

The rhizome is used in the treatment of colds and rheumatism."

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8350 on: May 11, 2007, 12:44:03 PM »

Yes, I want to know too.

"Ethnomedical Uses

I found this: "A decoction of the plant is used in arthritis. Aerial roots are sometimes used in basketry. "

http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/dictionary/tico/tico.html

There doesn't seem to be much information though.  It has a sticky latex sap, which is generally a sign that a plant should be left alone.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8351 on: May 11, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »

Yes, I want to know too.

"Ethnomedical Uses

I found this: "A decoction of the plant is used in arthritis. Aerial roots are sometimes used in basketry. "

There doesn't seem to be much information though.  It has a sticky latex sap, which is generally a sign that a plant should be left alone.
I wouldn't eat the sap.
That's a nice page to bookmark, though. Cool.
What does Monstera have to do with khat? Are similar chemicals present in Monstera deliciosa?

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8353 on: May 11, 2007, 01:12:58 PM »

Yes, I want to know too.

"Ethnomedical Uses

I wouldn't eat the sap.
That's a nice page to bookmark, though. Cool.
What does Monstera have to do with khat? Are similar chemicals present in Monstera deliciosa?

They're nothing to do with each other.  I just happen to be attempting to germinate and grow some khat while at the same time heavily pruning my monstera. 

Khat is reportedly extremely susceptible to over-watering and fungal problems, so I'm using a heated propagator with a 3:1 perlite/sand mix, soaked the seeds (20 of them) in cheshunt solution, and am using a mister full of cheshunt solution to moisten the substrate, with a plastic cover to retain the moisture (otherwise I could get the cheshunt solution building up in the substrate with subsequent mistings and reaching toxic levels).  They're also on a south facing window that gets the sun from the east and west too, due to it's shape.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8354 on: May 11, 2007, 01:17:07 PM »
Here's a pic showing part of my monstera.  By the end, it's root system occupied one large pot, one medium pot and a large jar that I filled with water periodically.  Only the medium pot and the jar are visible in the pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]