Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 368579 times)

duncvis

Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #6555 on: February 02, 2007, 04:50:47 AM »
Just don't use that drive too much before you get a chance to try the freeware tool. It's the actual read/writes that destroy the data. Formatting doesn't, if you aren't being thorough.

I want a new computer, too. The laptop I'm using now is seven or eight years old now. :(

cheers odeon... I seem to be able to recover about a quarter of my lost music, and it found loads more than Recover My Files did. I'm keeping this one for next time I fuck up. :thumbup:

Heh, I ended up doing a bit of cobbling, its a 'small form factor' PC and everything inside is the bare minimum for space - including connections to IDE and power cables. :tantrum:  I had to cut the plug for the floppy drive off and join the wires to a spare drive plug I cut off my old computer and tape the fuckers up lol, and recycle the primary IDE cable since the one on it was crap and only had one connection also. Still, it now has a second hard drive and my DVD writer installed - with any luck the DDR RAM I have knocking around will work too.  :green:

Graelwyn

« Reply #6556 on: February 02, 2007, 05:36:07 AM »
eye operation? hah, i can't even drag myself to a doctor unless my leg is broke, i'm not about to go to some expensive and terrifying eye surgery. i like my glasses just fine at the moment. :P

Is it an aspie thing then to put things off like this? I find if I have a letter about money I owe on something, I seem to forget about it or put it off and off, if I have teeth that need pulling, I just leave it and hope for the best, same with eye tests. I seem to have some kind of an aversion to everyday things that most would put first on their lists of to dos. My mother just calls me lazy for it. Yet, I do do other things.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #6557 on: February 02, 2007, 05:43:59 AM »
Am hoping QC doesn't have a bad hangover this morning.

Litigious

« Reply #6558 on: February 02, 2007, 05:47:54 AM »
Is it an aspie thing then to put things off like this? I find if I have a letter about money I owe on something, I seem to forget about it or put it off and off, if I have teeth that need pulling, I just leave it and hope for the best, same with eye tests. I seem to have some kind of an aversion to everyday things that most would put first on their lists of to dos. My mother just calls me lazy for it. Yet, I do do other things.

Unfortunately it is an aspie thing. Sometimes I really force myself to do things, like my eye surgery and getting my driver's license, but I have a tooth with a rootcanal, that isn't infected, but hurts and probably would be better pulled, but I have put it off for several years now. I have done the same thing with studies, excercising, etc.

I'd love to be in better shape, but I hate most people and wild horses probably couldn't drag me to a gym. I love guns, but I can't bother going through all the procedures to get one legally, and I certainly would feel akward in a shooting club with a bunch of NT machos...Not to mention that they might use my AS diagnosis as an excuse to deny me membership in the first place. Et cetera...

Graelwyn

« Reply #6559 on: February 02, 2007, 05:48:49 AM »
Shit, there was some nice light out 30 mins ago, and now the sky is totally overcast. So much for my plans to go down to the waterfront and do some shooting.

Graelwyn

« Reply #6560 on: February 02, 2007, 05:53:58 AM »

Unfortunately it is an aspie thing. Sometimes I really force myself to do things, like my eye surgery and getting my driver's license, but I have a tooth with a rootcanal, that isn't infected, but hurts and probably would be better pulled, but I have put it off for several years now. I have done the same thing with studies, excercising, etc.

I'd love to be in better shape, but I hate most people and wild horses probably couldn't drag me to a gym. I love guns, but I can't bother going through all the procedures to get one legally, and I certainly would feel akward in a shooting club with a bunch of NT machos...Not to mention that they might use my AS diagnosis as an excuse to deny me membership in the first place. Et cetera...

My obsession with being thin keeps me forcing myself to exxercise, fortunately, but I have a tooth that has crumbled away at the back of my mouth and that is down to the root that I was meant to have out over a year ago... I have simply left it as I cannot be bothered to ask the doctor if I can have sedation with my thyroid issue, and I couldnt have it done without sedation, and I have a dentist phobia, and it would be so much effort to relocate the dentist who does sedation etc etc.

I have had a court threat letter regarding a BT bill which BT just put up higher and higher, claiming I have to pay a full 12 months internet, even though they cut it off after less than 2 months. I was given a booklet by the citizens advice bureau showing how to write a letter asking for a way to pay it bit by bit etc. It has sat untouched on my desk since I got back from the CAB weeks ago lol.

I do feel lazy to be honest, but these everyday things seem to feel like a threat to me. I remember so many days when I had to go to a dr appointment or something, waking up with dread and anger. Oh...had a letter from the health people, telling me to call to be put on list for an appointment with people who deal with aspergers, I am assuming. Some sort of psychologist anyways.

Litigious

« Reply #6561 on: February 02, 2007, 05:57:20 AM »
It's raining here, as usual.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 06:11:08 AM by Litigious »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6562 on: February 02, 2007, 06:23:27 AM »
Just don't use that drive too much before you get a chance to try the freeware tool. It's the actual read/writes that destroy the data. Formatting doesn't, if you aren't being thorough.

I want a new computer, too. The laptop I'm using now is seven or eight years old now. :(

cheers odeon... I seem to be able to recover about a quarter of my lost music, and it found loads more than Recover My Files did. I'm keeping this one for next time I fuck up. :thumbup:

Heh, I ended up doing a bit of cobbling, its a 'small form factor' PC and everything inside is the bare minimum for space - including connections to IDE and power cables. :tantrum:  I had to cut the plug for the floppy drive off and join the wires to a spare drive plug I cut off my old computer and tape the fuckers up lol, and recycle the primary IDE cable since the one on it was crap and only had one connection also. Still, it now has a second hard drive and my DVD writer installed - with any luck the DDR RAM I have knocking around will work too.  :green:
This is great news, Dunc. Hopefully most of the hard to come by music is in that quarter. I have got a lot of songs on one disc and if I lost it I would be fucked. I have it duped, but It's a three hundred GB hard drive that I have backed up on six other smaller disks, that I already had when I got the big one. I sometimes have to remind myself that I really COULD live without forty three thousand songs, just as a reality check, but I listen to more genres than average people, plus I'm a lot older and my tastes have evolved and grown, too. If we cut off our legs and counted, there would be a lot more rings on my leg. That's why I need so much music ... to keep the rings wet.

Your cobble work is a newer, better box you bought or re-hashing one you already had?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6563 on: February 02, 2007, 06:30:08 AM »

You don't have to disclose your dx, you know.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #6564 on: February 02, 2007, 06:33:43 AM »

You don't have to disclose your dx, you know.

But they will probably feel that I'm "different" and "don't fit in"...from what I've heard they're very suspicious against all new people, which won't make me feel any more welcome...

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6565 on: February 02, 2007, 06:41:57 AM »
Just tell them that you're planning to hijack a plane and need some practice. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #6566 on: February 02, 2007, 06:46:46 AM »
Sure, that will certainly do.  8)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6567 on: February 02, 2007, 07:19:35 AM »
Sure, that will certainly do.  8)

Can you get a license to sell? That's how I became cool to all the macho dicks. I got a BATF certification (bureau that enforces Federal gun laws) and suddenly it was my dick that you needed to suck, if you wanted to be cool, too. I never opened a store or made a profit ... I just supported the gun club and my friends' habits.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #6568 on: February 02, 2007, 07:22:45 AM »
Am hoping QC doesn't have a bad hangover this morning.

Ditto

Litigious

« Reply #6569 on: February 02, 2007, 07:29:43 AM »
Can you get a license to sell? That's how I became cool to all the macho dicks. I got a BATF certification (bureau that enforces Federal gun laws) and suddenly it was my dick that you needed to suck, if you wanted to be cool, too. I never opened a store or made a profit ... I just supported the gun club and my friends' habits.

I think that no-one who hasn't been a member of a shooting club or a hunter himself for many years will get a permit to sell guns here. It's the tight restrictions that make most people avoid even trying to get a legal gun, at least a pistol. Rifles were pretty easy obtainable until 1985 here, you just needed to have two persons signing a testimonial that you were honest and law abiding, but I was a minor back then.  :(