Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 338077 times)

The_P

Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #7890 on: April 25, 2007, 09:49:44 AM »
I need to work on my video game sniping skills, yo.  :-\

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7891 on: April 25, 2007, 02:13:03 PM »
Wonder if there's anything to this discovery. (Link to earthsky.org)

Quote from: topix.net
Scientists find Earth-like planet
By John Johnson Jr.

Los Angeles Times

April 25, 2007

European astronomers announced Tuesday that they had discovered the first planet beyond our solar system that orbits in a 'sweet spot' zone where life could exist.

The planet, about five times as massive as Earth, orbits Gliese 581, a red dwarf star about 20 light-years from our solar system.

The team of Swiss, French and Portuguese scientists who found the planet estimate its surface temperature at freezing to 104 degrees Fahrenheit, a range in which water can exist as a liquid.

'Because of its temperature and relative proximity, this planet will most probably be a very important target of the future space missions dedicated to the search for extraterrestrial life,' said Xavier Delfosse, an astronomer from Grenoble University in France.

'On the treasure map of the universe, one would be tempted to mark this planet with an X.'

Here's a bit about HARPS
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 02:17:29 PM by Calamity Jane »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Scrapheap

« Reply #7892 on: April 25, 2007, 02:15:20 PM »

By John Johnson Jr.

Los Angeles Times

April 25, 2007

European astronomers announced Tuesday that they had discovered the first planet beyond our solar system that orbits in a 'sweet spot' zone where life could exist.

The planet, about five times as massive as Earth, orbits Gliese 581, a red dwarf star about 20 light-years from our solar system.

The team of Swiss, French and Portuguese scientists who found the planet estimate its surface temperature at freezing to 104 degrees Fahrenheit, a range in which water can exist as a liquid.

'Because of its temperature and relative proximity, this planet will most probably be a very important target of the future space missions dedicated to the search for extraterrestrial life,' said Xavier Delfosse, an astronomer from Grenoble University in France.

'On the treasure map of the universe, one would be tempted to mark this planet with an X.'

I'm claming all the beaches as my own country.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7893 on: April 25, 2007, 02:49:37 PM »
It's a promising discovery. I won't hold my breath waiting for the space missions exploring the place, though. 20 light-years is way beyond our capabilities now or in the foreseeable future.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7894 on: April 25, 2007, 02:53:31 PM »
Agreed, but it's still a fun and fascinating science, to me.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7895 on: April 25, 2007, 02:58:26 PM »
Yeah, me too. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7896 on: April 25, 2007, 06:46:47 PM »
actually i just read it all and thought it was a great thread that stayed muchly on topic. plus the discussions were much smarter and to the point than otherwhere online, which is exactly why i came here to read what everyone thought of it. normies often seem to float around a subject without really seeing the essence of it. or something. it gets tiring.
i heard that some teacher at a highschool decided to reenact the massacre to show how it would have come out differently if other students were also armed.

he was canned.

meh. typical.

have you seen Bang Bang You're Dead? excellent movie. it's based on a play about school violence, it can be performed at any school for free to edumacate the masses.

Damned. You're becoming as cowardly as Europeans. Who would even have dared to say that people shouldn't be armed in Texas 150 years ago?

hey Lit, stop knockin' on Europe man. :P things are better in Europe than in the US fo' Sho'.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7897 on: April 26, 2007, 12:26:20 AM »

By John Johnson Jr.

Los Angeles Times

April 25, 2007

Here's a bit about HARPS

Cool.  I was reading about this planet earlier.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #7898 on: April 26, 2007, 12:30:06 AM »
I need to work on my video game sniping skills, yo.  :-\

You need more work on your post sniping.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7899 on: April 26, 2007, 06:45:15 AM »

By John Johnson Jr.

Los Angeles Times

April 25, 2007

Here's a bit about HARPS

Cool.  I was reading about this planet earlier.
my wife seems to think that is where our ancestors came from.

we lost the technology during our ice age.

also, that planets revolves around its sun like every 14 days or something.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #7900 on: April 26, 2007, 06:53:05 AM »
Since I've now finished eating how much longer can I still consider myself to be having a lunch break?

duncvis

« Reply #7901 on: April 26, 2007, 07:03:07 AM »
Since I've now finished eating how much longer can I still consider myself to be having a lunch break?

until its digested?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7902 on: April 26, 2007, 07:09:25 AM »
thank god the quizes are contained in their own sub-forum.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #7903 on: April 26, 2007, 07:10:22 AM »

Or as I like to call it the 'I'm so bored I'll do anything forum' since that's the only time I venture in there.  :laugh:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7904 on: April 26, 2007, 07:11:15 AM »

Or as I like to call it the 'I'm so bored I'll do anything forum' since that's the only time I venture in there.  :laugh:
i actually enjoyed the discussion in one of the quizes.
Misunderstood.