Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 369326 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #6450 on: January 30, 2007, 07:00:14 AM »
We have four stacked JBL subwoofers behind the screen. Subsonics traveling through the auditorium is NOT a problem, it's one of the goals. ;D

By "four stacked JBL subwoofers", I'm sure you mean four factory prepared and loaded enclosures, each with a couple of eighteen inch or fifteen inch drivers it them, right?. The best in the business, until you get into some of the custom engineered cabinets available from Meyer Sound Labs, and a few others (but John Meyer is an old acquaintance, who I respect)

My subwoofer system is JBL based also, but I have one custom self-built enclosure which uses four vintage JBL fifteen inch drivers, in a ported alignment called an Extended Bass Shelf (referring to a graphic of the frequency response it reproduces) which I designed to resonate at twelve hertz in one configuration or sixteen hertz wide open (the tuning I use, now), depending on the rooms characteristics and how the positioning of the enclosure interacts with it. That enclosure handles the frequency range from about sixteen hertz to twenty eight hertz, where another two fifteen inch drivers in an enclosure, also of ported alignment design (constructed according to the JBL factory recommendations for the specific drivers I use) takes over and reproduces information up to about one hundred twenty five hertz. I use a mono-strapped vintage  McIntosh MC2500 (one thousand watts, very conservatively rated) on the EBS enclosure and about five hundred watts on the upper sub cabinet. Not nearly enough for a theater, but plenty for my sixteen by twenty four foot living room. The Crossover is done electronically by a vintage Crown VFX-2a, set for twenty eight hertz, that has been modernized with hot-rod capacitors available from Japan's audiophile industry.

The receiver is a Yamaha one hundred watt per channel (Typical) and (5.1 ... I haven't gone nuts, yet with the seven and ten surround goofiness) surrounds are vintage Yamaha studio monitors from the early eighties era, designed to produce the "East Coast Sound", promoted by Acoustic Research. "East Coast" sound was intended to be more of a "Flat Frequency Response", where a "West Coast" sound, promoted by JBL and Altec was intended to emphasize the high and low frequency extremes of human hearing. I prefer a flat response with a substantial reinforcement of the low frequencies, myself, so I mix the two theories. Movies kick ass at my house, compared to what somepeople listen to them with.

But Peter, that's not an audiophile rig at all - it's just my souped up movie rig for the living room. (I have a very understanding wife) My so-called audiophile rig consists of only a few items and is quite minimalistic to the extreme. My tube based, one watt per channel, audiophile quality, amplifier only has eight silver solder joints in the signal path! Sweet!!

The reason I offered you Linkwitz's site was that he is a true scientist, who has published his life's work, freely, on the internet. You don't have to spend much money to enjoy phenominal sound, using the work he has done. Of course, if you can afford to buy his equipment, you won't need to learn much about his work.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:06:33 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #6451 on: January 30, 2007, 08:39:01 AM »
Wow, this is good, I feel relaxed.  I hope job hunting goes  alright.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6452 on: January 30, 2007, 09:02:10 AM »
i want beer :violin:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6453 on: January 30, 2007, 09:06:18 AM »
My head hurts.  I want love, and some water.  *rubs head*
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Litigious

« Reply #6454 on: January 30, 2007, 09:07:25 AM »
Take an aspie-rin.  ;D 8)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6455 on: January 30, 2007, 09:08:11 AM »
We have four stacked JBL subwoofers behind the screen. Subsonics traveling through the auditorium is NOT a problem, it's one of the goals. ;D

By "four stacked JBL subwoofers", I'm sure you mean four factory prepared and loaded enclosures, each with a couple of eighteen inch or fifteen inch drivers it them, right?.

Yup, that's basically what I meant. :)

This is what we have. And three of the 4675C behind the screen, and 16 of the 8340A for the surround.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6456 on: January 30, 2007, 09:10:49 AM »
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6457 on: January 30, 2007, 09:11:46 AM »
*gets his apsie-rin fix*

Litigious

« Reply #6458 on: January 30, 2007, 09:12:09 AM »
 8)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6459 on: January 30, 2007, 09:13:13 AM »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6460 on: January 30, 2007, 09:16:24 AM »

By "four stacked JBL subwoofers", I'm sure you mean four factory prepared and loaded enclosures, each with a couple of eighteen inch or fifteen inch drivers it them, right?.

Yup, that's basically what I meant. :)

This is what we have. And three of the 4675C behind the screen, and 16 of the 8340A for the surround.

Cool! It sounds like a much nice theater than any of the cookie cutter types around here.

I'm not obsessed with audio anymore, though. I'm all over it, now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:54:24 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #6461 on: January 30, 2007, 09:46:59 AM »
Time to go practice guitar!

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6462 on: January 30, 2007, 03:00:18 PM »
I want milk.

Graelwyn

« Reply #6463 on: January 30, 2007, 04:56:48 PM »
My head aches.

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)