Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 341250 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #23820 on: May 30, 2010, 05:32:09 AM »
Is shouldn't drink beer in the morning - especially not after two valium.  :-\

I prefer amphetamine and caffeine in the morning.  Also in the afternoon and evening.

When do you sleep? And HOW?! :zombiefuck:

I naturally tend to sleep a lot, and stimulants just help me to ward off my daytime sleepiness a bit and regulate my sleep better.  I get 8 hours of sleep per night with stimulants, instead of the 10 to 12 I tend to take without them, but sometimes I still get really sleepy and have to nap during the day, and stimulants don't have much effect on me when I feel that way.

Do you know why you sleep so much? :nerd!:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #23821 on: May 30, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »

I prefer amphetamine and caffeine in the morning.  Also in the afternoon and evening.

I naturally tend to sleep a lot, and stimulants just help me to ward off my daytime sleepiness a bit and regulate my sleep better.  I get 8 hours of sleep per night with stimulants, instead of the 10 to 12 I tend to take without them, but sometimes I still get really sleepy and have to nap during the day, and stimulants don't have much effect on me when I feel that way.

I could only guess about the underlying causes.  In addition to the sleepiness, I seem to have a lower tolerance for sleep deprivation than most people; if I force myself to stay awake, I quickly develop brain-snow, which is caused by neurons firing randomly and raising the noise-floor in the brain, and eventually I start to hallucinate from it.  Amphetamine somehow reduces the brain-snow effect when I'm tired, so my head stays clearer for longer.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #23822 on: May 30, 2010, 08:52:58 PM »

I could only guess about the underlying causes.  In addition to the sleepiness, I seem to have a lower tolerance for sleep deprivation than most people; if I force myself to stay awake, I quickly develop brain-snow, which is caused by neurons firing randomly and raising the noise-floor in the brain, and eventually I start to hallucinate from it.  Amphetamine somehow reduces the brain-snow effect when I'm tired, so my head stays clearer for longer.

This is fascinating, I've never heard of anything like it! I have heard of people hallucinating due to lack of sleep, but only after days of continuous wakefulness.
Have you ever asked a doctor about it? :chin:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #23823 on: May 30, 2010, 09:59:24 PM »
I have fat arms! :laugh:

People forget.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #23824 on: May 31, 2010, 04:43:30 AM »

This is fascinating, I've never heard of anything like it! I have heard of people hallucinating due to lack of sleep, but only after days of continuous wakefulness.

I asked my GP about getting a referral to a sleep clinic, but he said the local one would only be able to help if my sleep was being disturbed by a breathing problem like snoring or sleep apnoea, and I don't have any problems like that.  I also asked about why I frequently get really intense postprandial fatigue, but he couldn't give any answers to that either.  In my experience, Wikipedia is a far better source of information than most medical professionals.

In medicine  and specifically endocrinology, postprandial dip is a term used to refer to mild hypoglycemia  occurring after ingestion of a heavy meal.

The dip is thought to be caused by a drop in blood glucose resulting from the body's own normal insulin secretion, which in turn is a response to the glucose load represented by the meal.

Postprandial dip can produce irresistible drowsiness in some individuals, leading to a postprandial nap.

Intriguing new evidence points to a molecular and cellular basis for the previously poorly understood meal-induced drowsiness. Burdakov et al. (2006) have revealed that the rise in blood glucose that occurs after a large meal is sensed by glucose-inhibited neurones in the lateral hypothalamus,[1] a region of brain important for maintained wakefulness (remarkably, narcoleptic patients are found to lack 85-95% of these neurones[2]). These orexin expressing neurones are reportedly hyperpolarised by a glucose activated potassium current mediated by TASK family potassium channels. This glucose mediated inhibition is believed to reduce the output from orexin neurones to amineregic, cholinergic, and glutamatergic arousal pathways of the brain. This molecular pathway for the action of glucose on this critical orexin-expressing arousal centre in brain was previously entirely unknown.

While postprandial dip is usually physiological after a generous meal, a very sharp or sustained drop in blood glucose may be associated with a disorder of glucose metabolism.

The carbs in my meals come from low glycemic index foods, mostly steamed vegetables, and I don't get tired after eating high glycemic index stuff like fruit or glucose powder; only when I've eaten a balanced meal of carbohydrate, fat and protein, so I'm not convinced that my symptoms can be explained purely in terms of blood glucose levels, though an abnormality in my glucose-inhibited lateral hypothalamus neurons might explain some of my general drowsiness and excessive sleep problems. 

There might be a issue involving the transport proteins that shuffle large molecules across my blood-brain barrier; transport proteins are a bottleneck for nutrient transport into the brain, and amino acids compete with glucose for binding sites on transport proteins, reducing glucose transport when the proteins are swamped by amino acids.  There could be something about my physiology that makes me particularly susceptible to having my brain starved of glucose through that mechanism.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23825 on: May 31, 2010, 07:21:54 AM »

Sounds like visual snow which is not the same as hallucinations due to lack of sleep. http://www.eyeonvision.org/visual-snow.html
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #23826 on: May 31, 2010, 08:25:08 AM »

Sounds like visual snow which is not the same as hallucinations due to lack of sleep. http://www.eyeonvision.org/visual-snow.html

I do get visual effects when I'm sleep deprived, and if I close my eyes it's a bit like being in a nightclub with multicoloured strobe lights, but it's just a small part of what I experience.  My nerves get twitchy and I get an electric current sensation through my body that pulses at about 1hz-5hz, and which seems to match the frequency of the visual strobe effect.  My thoughts become increasingly disjointed and random, and I start having frequent episodes where I forget what I was thinking about just a couple of seconds ago and can't recover my previous train of thought no matter how hard I try to remember.  Eventually I'm having microsleeps every minute or less, my thoughts are hopping all over the place, I'm forgetting where I am, what I'm doing and what I was thinking about and and I'm struggling to separate what's real from what's imagined.  I don't think I've ever stayed awake for more than 36 hours.

My brain seems to hallucinate easily, and mild fevers have put me into a delirium that's similar to what I experience when I'm sleep deprived.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23827 on: May 31, 2010, 12:57:18 PM »
I think I'm putting on weight. Must be all the shit I eat. Got ANOTHER cold sore as well. urgh

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23828 on: May 31, 2010, 02:03:23 PM »
Need   to   do   housework (said with great effort)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #23829 on: May 31, 2010, 02:21:16 PM »
Don't want to say... its just one of those stupid WP rants and I just want to get the stupid place out of my head.
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #23830 on: May 31, 2010, 06:54:05 PM »
I wish Pea stopped being a paranoid faggot and realise I view his page on the Drivel so me and Emma can laugh at his stupidity. :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23831 on: June 01, 2010, 04:24:50 AM »
You can't laugh now?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #23832 on: June 01, 2010, 04:50:34 AM »
Not enough apparently.

Oh well, what ever spikes up a relationship?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #23833 on: June 01, 2010, 09:00:10 AM »
hmmm... how I'm I gonna have my date without having at least one disaster. :-\

(well in organizing wise?)
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #23834 on: June 01, 2010, 09:01:54 AM »
hmmm... how I'm I gonna have my date without having at least one disaster. :-\

Are you and your date already friends? If you know each other a little already, that should make things more comfortable.

Even if you do have a "disaster," that might be a good thing...you'll find out whether she has a sense of humor! Good luck to you. :viking:

People forget.