Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 373418 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #19110 on: May 13, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »
I'm glad you root for the underdog- I do think it's needed, as a general policy- and that prolly also means you're unlikely to give much on the Pea issue.  It's maybe a bit ironic that he's getting painted now as all bad for his tendency to see people in black-and-white.

That doesn't mean he doesn't- he does, and he reacts to that with no-holds-barred.  That doesn't make him a bad person, but it sure as hell makes him untrustworthy.  And, every now and again, IMO, worthy of being called an asshole for whatever new attack he's unleashed on someone.

*shrug* It's not just rooting for the underdog. I genuinely like the guy. And I genuinely dislike the way Callaway, especially, tries to paint people as terrible villains beyond the scope of what they've done. If she just called him an ass, I might not care as much, but not only has she tried to lump him into a group that it's politically correct to look down on in our culture (so called "stalkers"), she's also tried to discredit anyone who defends him ("Nor are you the first person who has defended him and made excuses for his behavior only to have him turn on you.") I take that personally, because I'm not making excuses, I'm giving my well-reasoned opinion.

You have your reasons, others have theirs, including Callaway who usually backs up hers well, IMO. Who's to say that their reasons aren't as valid as yours?

BTW (and this is a legit question, I honestly don't remember, and realized I'm curious)- when Alex Plank was getting dragged through the mud way back in the day, did you have the same reaction?

No. Alex Plank I think deserves whatever people can throw at him.

Yes, but isn't that because you personally got hurt, too?

I certainly respect your right to your opinion, Pyraxis, but I often suspect that you have great difficulty emphasising when others get hurt. It's not a game, you know.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Blasted

« Reply #19111 on: May 13, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »
Now I have been betrayed by TWO people.  How awesome.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19112 on: May 13, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »
people are crazy
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #19113 on: May 13, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »
My sister is only 11 but she's already a huge flirt.  What is she gonna be like at 16?  :O_o:

A single teen mother?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19114 on: May 13, 2009, 02:58:24 PM »
Now I have been betrayed by TWO people.  How awesome.

:hug:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19115 on: May 13, 2009, 05:28:04 PM »
Thing about what to do tomorrow and if it's going to rain or not
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #19116 on: May 13, 2009, 07:05:57 PM »
You have your reasons, others have theirs, including Callaway who usually backs up hers well, IMO. Who's to say that their reasons aren't as valid as yours?

They may well be. It's her style of argument that I was objecting to. I think it reinforces hatred and prejudice.

Maybe. I've asked myself that a lot, and never been able to come up with a definitive answer about whether he causes more harm than good overall. That (and the fact I got bored and moved on with my life) is the main reason I haven't tried harder to stop him.

I certainly respect your right to your opinion, Pyraxis, but I often suspect that you have great difficulty emphasising when others get hurt. It's not a game, you know.

Do you mean empathizing?

You're entitled to your opinion about me too, but keep in mind you only see a limited cross-section of who I am. There's a reason that while I was on WrongPlanet, I was one of the primary forces behind the Haven forum, why I originated the "witnessing" trend there, why I worked hard to defend people who were being condemned by most of the others around them.

There are some types of hurt I respond to much more readily than others, but I do not have a global difficulty empathizing with people who are hurt.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline jawbrodt

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #19117 on: May 13, 2009, 09:03:03 PM »
I'm thinking that today was pretty fucked up, until later on in the afternoon. Had some personal shit going on that needed resolved, and got through about 90% of it. That's cool because i was starting to get depressed. 8)

Damn women. :zoinks:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19118 on: May 14, 2009, 06:51:49 AM »

Maybe. I've asked myself that a lot, and never been able to come up with a definitive answer about whether he causes more harm than good overall. That (and the fact I got bored and moved on with my life) is the main reason I haven't tried harder to stop him.
Does pea cause more harm or more good, overall, or you think?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19119 on: May 14, 2009, 01:27:10 PM »

They may well be. It's her style of argument that I was objecting to. I think it reinforces hatred and prejudice.

Thing is, that's what her style is according to you.

I think Alex is doing some good, too, but not consciously. It's a side effect of his personal goals.

Do you mean empathizing?

LOL, yes. I've been writing a style guide the last few days.

You're entitled to your opinion about me too, but keep in mind you only see a limited cross-section of who I am. There's a reason that while I was on WrongPlanet, I was one of the primary forces behind the Haven forum, why I originated the "witnessing" trend there, why I worked hard to defend people who were being condemned by most of the others around them.

Yes, IMO you're like that. You have a soft spot for that kind of people.

There are some types of hurt I respond to much more readily than others, but I do not have a global difficulty empathizing with people who are hurt.

It's your soft spot, above, plus that you tend to like to play games, that makes me wonder.

- Albert Einstein

Offline jawbrodt

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #19120 on: May 14, 2009, 05:12:03 PM »
I'm wondering if the phone's going to ring soon. I'm expecting some excellent pills to be around, and am getting impatient. I hate waitin' for shit.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #19121 on: May 14, 2009, 06:32:26 PM »

Yes, but do you have anything to refute it?

What she says is often the truth, but a competent reporter can tell you lots of ways the truth can be skewed to fit an agenda. The order in which things are said, the word choice, which things are said and which are left out, etc. A person can tell the truth with the best of intentions and still be heavily biased.

What exactly are you trying to get at here? I have my opinions, others have theirs.

I think Alex is doing some good, too, but not consciously. It's a side effect of his personal goals.

I don't ask whether he's doing some good - I know he is. What I wonder is whether it's enough to offset the wrong.

It's your soft spot, above, plus that you tend to like to play games, that makes me wonder.

Why does a soft spot make you wonder about whether I have difficulty empathizing? That's empathy right there.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19122 on: May 15, 2009, 12:12:48 AM »

Yes, but do you have anything to refute it?

No more than you. You are the one claiming that she paints people as terrible villains. I say it's not the case. What she's been saying about P is based on facts.

What she says is often the truth, but a competent reporter can tell you lots of ways the truth can be skewed to fit an agenda. The order in which things are said, the word choice, which things are said and which are left out, etc. A person can tell the truth with the best of intentions and still be heavily biased.

Oh yes, certainly. I just don't think it's the case with Callaway.

What exactly are you trying to get at here? I have my opinions, others have theirs.

Actually I was simply expressing my opinion(s). It seems to me that you often put yourself in the position where you're the only one defending someone like P, where it's pretty much a fact that he crossed not just one line but several. It is your soft spot at work--but see my explanation, below.

And I'm not saying P is all bad, but I bloody well see no reason to defend the little prick, either.

I don't ask whether he's doing some good - I know he is. What I wonder is whether it's enough to offset the wrong.

Don't know. That's for others to decide. Our paths seldom cross these days.

Why does a soft spot make you wonder about whether I have difficulty empathizing? That's empathy right there.

Because that soft spot is more of a knee-jerk reaction than empathy, it's about observing a situation where most people have problems with an individual and say so, and defending the individual because others don't. It feels like a game you like to play.

IMO, of course.

- Albert Einstein

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19123 on: May 15, 2009, 07:52:55 AM »
Wow this girl really likes me. I hope shes okay with being so attracted to an autistic man. I've never been the warmest individual, and she is. Shes extremely nice and sweet, a smile-at-everyone type. I seriously hope I am not too cold for her.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #19124 on: May 15, 2009, 10:02:42 AM »
Well, all I can say is I genuinely liked him too and look where that got me.
Yeah, he was making fun of you for obsessing over Soph so much.   I think he is jealous of your stalking of Soph.   Do you still obsess over her?  I hope you are over her by now.   P had feelings for you btw, he just doesn't express himself correctly.  

I am NOT stalking Soph  :laugh: And no I don't obsess over her (any more) :P For the first time in ages I actually have no feelings for anyone, surprisingly!  Although, there is a girl at my college who is interested in me.
Dunno what P is going on about then.   I might have to look at ZOMG sometime.   That is good to hear you are over her.    Hopefully this girl at your college is someone you end up liking mutually.
:P   Internets are super serious.