Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 367013 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #18300 on: January 07, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »
Does anyone know if silicone sealant will bond with a butyl rubber pond liner?  I need to fix a leak, but I'm not sure what to use.  I have some rubber tape, but it's a pain in the arse to use, as it requires the liner to be warm and perfectly clean and dry, which isn't going to happen in Scotland during the winter.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18301 on: January 08, 2009, 03:24:54 AM »
Does anyone know if silicone sealant will bond with a butyl rubber pond liner?  I need to fix a leak, but I'm not sure what to use.  I have some rubber tape, but it's a pain in the arse to use, as it requires the liner to be warm and perfectly clean and dry, which isn't going to happen in Scotland during the winter.

I think that silicone sealant won't bond well with butyl rubber.  It will probably peel away after curing, IMO.

Butyl rubber caulk binds well with butyl rubber.

Do you have a blow dryer and a heavy duty extension cord?  Maybe you could clean the area you need to patch, wipe it mostly dry, and then dry and warm it with the blow dryer before using the rubber tape.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18302 on: January 08, 2009, 04:03:28 AM »

I think that silicone sealant won't bond well with butyl rubber.  It will probably peel away after curing, IMO.

Butyl rubber caulk binds well with butyl rubber.

Do you have a blow dryer and a heavy duty extension cord?  Maybe you could clean the area you need to patch, wipe it mostly dry, and then dry and warm it with the blow dryer before using the rubber tape.

I used a blow dryer when I joined the liner last spring, but it was still a very difficult job, and it would be even worse with the weather now.  I'll try the butyl rubber sealant and see how it goes; I've been a bit worried about it having solvents or other chemicals that would be toxic for the fish, since I've not seen any that's rated for use with fish the way some silicone sealants are, but I'll give it plenty of time to cure to be safe.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18303 on: January 08, 2009, 04:07:06 AM »
Early lunch... maybe I should.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18304 on: January 10, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »
The blue lights for my pond didn't work very well.  The fish, the pond liner and the algae on the liner and on the sand all strongly absorb blue light, so the visual effect was very poor; the fish just looked black and because my water is so clear, with so little suspended particulate matter, there was no scattering to make the water glow blue.  Blue lights in my room make various things fluoresce slightly, but nothing in the pond responded that way. 

I think I'll get one of these and encase it with some clear aquarium silicone and bits of plastic food packaging.  The amber one should do a nice job of showing off the goldfish, and I've been curious about these ultra-high output LEDs for a while now, so I'll get to see how good they really are.  The red and blue ones might be fairly good for growing plants indoors, but the sprectrums aren't quite ideal, so I don't know how they'd compare watt-for-watt with horticultural T-8 fluorescents.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18305 on: January 10, 2009, 02:09:08 PM »
I'm thinking about what i'm going to eat tonight. I have no idea yet.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18306 on: January 10, 2009, 04:35:15 PM »
Bloody spambots.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #18307 on: January 10, 2009, 04:55:43 PM »
Let's say someone did manage to herd the cats... what would we even have them do?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18308 on: January 10, 2009, 05:04:29 PM »
I wonder if spambots can handle logic puzzles.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #18309 on: January 10, 2009, 05:56:15 PM »
Let's say someone did manage to herd the cats... what would we even have them do?

Sell the to the Chinese restaurant on the corner  :zoinks:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #18310 on: January 10, 2009, 06:01:43 PM »
 :laugh:

And use the money to fund programs to save lost starving kittens?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #18311 on: January 11, 2009, 03:39:08 PM »
We know that Ts, Ls and Rs aer a bitch for the Japanese tongue.

We had a Japanese engineer in our store today from Motorola. Try to imitate his accent.  You can't!

Just try to say "Motorola"  with a Japanese accent.

Ninety five percent or more of his English was perfect, but ...

Everyone said,"Huh?"  when he introduced himself.

:lol:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:41:11 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18312 on: January 11, 2009, 05:08:05 PM »
Motolola? :P

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18313 on: January 11, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »
Motolola? :P

Mochalorra leplesenchatlivvvvvve?

(representative)

sorry, but he was not only funny, he was awesome!

I learned a few things from him.

(everyone else was just googoo over his assistant, but I don't find Asian women appealing at all)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:16:51 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18314 on: January 11, 2009, 05:21:33 PM »

...   not sure how they can put perfectly dictive Ls where they don't belong but are completely incapable of pronouncing an L when it "berongs" in a word.