Author Topic: Throw away society  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Throw away society
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2007, 07:04:53 PM »
the sun is a power source. we will use it.

There are already several different contractors in my area that sell and install systems for homes and businesses.  My suppler is working on one for heating warehouses and installed it on his already they are still in the development stage though  working out bugs and pricing schedules. Geothermal is another under utilized energy source that is up and comming
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2007, 07:29:10 PM »
What do doll's need with heating?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2007, 08:20:07 PM »
What do doll's need with heating?

I just used my doll house as a scale model representation of a real house.  It didn't have any dolls in it.

Over the doll house roof I added a steel roof which I painted flat black, I added panes of glass above it to utilize the greenhouse effect, and I used a water pump and tubes to carry the water to the roof.  There it was heated by the sunlight and other tubes carried it to a large holding tank in the basement.  This holding tank, which was a large steel can with heat exchange fins around it, was the heat source for a heat exchanger (a larger steel can around the first can which had heat exchange fins) and an air pump carried air from this heat exchanger into the dol house.

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2007, 08:51:58 PM »
Someone once told me that the earth gives off more heat than it absorbs. Which makes sense, since pretty much all the energy we work with ends up burning off to friction, which ends up as heat, which rises. Then I asked that person, "can't we build a shield around the earth or something to collect all the heat and turn it back into kinetic energy?" Actually, we can't do that.
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2007, 09:16:50 PM »
Bulky pickup is all year round out here. All you have to do is call ahead and warn the driver if you're throwing something really big out like a sofa or a major appliance.

The neighboring areas dole out a couple bulky stickers every month. My only problem is having to pass up a few of the larger goodies because I can't load them myself.  :green: I've gotten chairs, furniture, vcr's, a ton of vacuums, mowers, weedeaters, bikes, scooters, computers, sewing machines, and boxes of leftover yard sale goodies. I'd say 90% of everything I've picked up was a simple fix or just discarded because someone was sick of it. ::)

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2007, 05:30:40 AM »

I made a model (doll) house that was heated with solar energy for a science fair project when I was a kid.  It won first place.

I couldn't find any good books about solar energy in my school library or my local library, so I wrote my Senator and asked him if he could go look for books about solar energy in the Library of Congress for me, because I had heard that it had a copy of every book ever written and I knew that he could check out books from it.  He sent me copies of two books about solar energy that he said I could keep and within a couple of years, my local library was greatly expanded.  My husband thinks that maybe the Senator had something to do with it.

great senator. :)
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2007, 11:23:55 AM »

I made a model (doll) house that was heated with solar energy for a science fair project when I was a kid.  It won first place.

I couldn't find any good books about solar energy in my school library or my local library, so I wrote my Senator and asked him if he could go look for books about solar energy in the Library of Congress for me, because I had heard that it had a copy of every book ever written and I knew that he could check out books from it.  He sent me copies of two books about solar energy that he said I could keep and within a couple of years, my local library was greatly expanded.  My husband thinks that maybe the Senator had something to do with it.

Yes, he was.  I loved him and I was very sorry when he died.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2007, 11:25:57 AM »
too bad. we need good politicians.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline Rabbit From Hell

• Milla's Husband
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Gun or turkey baster? Do you feel lucky, punk?
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2007, 12:35:35 PM »
I'm republican, but I like alternative energy.  I'm a big advocate of wind energy, Wyoming has shitloads of it and I want it to be taken advantage of.  A lot of it is possible today, but we need to economize it to make it viable.
You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having buttsex with a fish squirrel, congratulations.

politics and evil
all one and the same
satan hides behind
another name

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2007, 01:53:24 PM »
you're a republican? :'(

what made you this way?
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Rabbit From Hell

• Milla's Husband
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Gun or turkey baster? Do you feel lucky, punk?
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2007, 01:58:06 PM »
you're a republican? :'(

what made you this way?

democrats
You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having buttsex with a fish squirrel, congratulations.

politics and evil
all one and the same
satan hides behind
another name

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2007, 01:59:07 PM »
join liberals. join us. join us. :P
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2007, 02:01:18 PM »
I'm republican, but I like alternative energy.  I'm a big advocate of wind energy, Wyoming has shitloads of it and I want it to be taken advantage of.  A lot of it is possible today, but we need to economize it to make it viable.

One of the people I know who is in the construction business who is  into alternative energy is very republican and has even run for local state rep. with that as one of his main points.  But then again I live in Ct and republicans here are a bit more liberal than the national party. BTW he lost
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2007, 05:43:11 PM »

Yes, he was.  I loved him and I was very sorry when he died.

Who was it?

(just realized that might be too personal a piece of info,
if so, sorry)

Offline AlCapone

• Part of the Chaos
  • The Clown is You.
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2007, 11:09:34 AM »
The answer isn't to make things durable, but more recyclable. It's not the throw away, consumerist society that's the problem, it's that the waste is going to waste.
There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.