Author Topic: Sept 11 families  (Read 3526 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Sept 11 families
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2007, 07:13:29 AM »

It's the historical significance, I believe. It was the first time in our history the mainland of the USA was attacked, so successfully.

Pearl Harbor was as bad as 9/11, War of 1812 was worse, the USA was invaded by Britain and managed to burn down the White House.

Obviously, Teejay, I was talking about twentieth century history, when I mentioned "mainland attacks" and deliberately omitted the attack on our most vulnerable occupations. Midway and the Philippines was a rugged battle as well. Pearl Harbor was not part of our union when it was attacked by the Japanese. We still fended that one off and recovered fairly well, I think. They haven't been interested in renewing hostility, since.
Of course in the early time of our union, the Brits did not want to give up their cash cow and we had to prove more than once that we were serious about our independence from their monarchs. Relations were stressed for decades, but again Britain gave up their attempts and even began to emulate some of our leaders' ideals. That war was won, too.

I fear that we will become our attackers in this case, because of how knee-jerk-ish we have proven to be. The 9-11 attack created an atmosphere where the average Americans gladly gave up many of their freedoms for security of a martial state, instead of fighting back as individuals. That is the historical significance I was referring to. Sorry to create a mixed context. It is very scary.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 10:26:01 AM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

richard

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2007, 09:27:14 AM »
i agree! september 11th=overrated. fuck the familys, and fuck anyone who says 9/11, or wants that to somehow affect them personally. were you there spokane girl? outta here with that bullshit.
No I wasn't there when it happened. If I was there, I would have said so a long time ago. I was at home in Montana sleeping in bed when it happened.
no but you acted like you were directly connected to september 11th and asked me if i thought you were lying like it was somehow connected to you personally so stfu

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2007, 09:31:35 AM »
The most striking thing to me about 9/11 is that, regardless of what people say about the Middle East and our support of Israel or whatever, it came out of left field. There are massacres in other parts of the world and dictators like Saddam Hussein that gast heir own people or whatever but they are results of established international conflicts or internal, civil conflicts. What did they say was his motivation for 9/11? That we sent in troops to protect Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield or whatever? It's pretty surreal, if you think about it. What do these two things have to do with each other?

war is about oil, gold, money, squirrelskins...
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2007, 09:54:26 AM »
The most striking thing to me about 9/11 is that, regardless of what people say about the Middle East and our support of Israel or whatever, it came out of left field. There are massacres in other parts of the world and dictators like Saddam Hussein that gast heir own people or whatever but they are results of established international conflicts or internal, civil conflicts. What did they say was his motivation for 9/11? That we sent in troops to protect Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield or whatever? It's pretty surreal, if you think about it. What do these two things have to do with each other?

war is about oil, gold, money, squirrelskins...

Squirrelskins well now I understand :P
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2007, 11:53:44 AM »
i agree! september 11th=overrated. fuck the familys, and fuck anyone who says 9/11, or wants that to somehow affect them personally. were you there spokane girl? outta here with that bullshit.
No I wasn't there when it happened. If I was there, I would have said so a long time ago. I was at home in Montana sleeping in bed when it happened.
no but you acted like you were directly connected to september 11th and asked me if i thought you were lying like it was somehow connected to you personally so stfu

STFU? So why the hell did you ask me then if I was there?

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2007, 12:09:14 PM »
I wonder why I hardly hear about 9/11 again. Maybe because I don't watch very much TV like I used to and when I do, it's either The Simspons or South Park and Little Bush or kid shows and I don't listen to talk shows on the radio.

Yes I was also very frustrated too about how Katrina was handled. I felt sorry for the people who were trapped there.

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2007, 02:50:14 PM »
I'm fucking sick of hearing about Virgina Tech as well.  I you want to help them "heal", try not mentioning the shootings every time you can.

Scrapheap

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2007, 02:54:06 PM »
I'm fucking sick of hearing about Virgina Tech as well.  I you want to help them "heal", try not mentioning the shootings every time you can.

I would like to see anothe Virginia Tech style shooting. That way we can have a national debate about how we need to have Aspie controll.  ::)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2007, 04:22:55 PM »
Sometimes, I suspect scrap is being
sarcastic.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2007, 05:31:15 PM »

i suggest that you two face each others genitalia
Misunderstood.

ozymandias

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2007, 06:02:05 PM »

Just another I2 "girlie" slap fight!

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2007, 06:03:10 PM »

actually, since they both ahve posted pictures, i assumed it was entirely possible.
Misunderstood.

Scrapheap

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2007, 06:10:03 PM »

actually, since they both ahve posted pictures, i assumed it was entirely possible.

I'd pay money to watch that one. :popcorn:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2007, 06:11:38 PM »

I'd pay money to watch that one. :popcorn:
the fumbling.  the mumbling.  richard bitching.  lube everywhere.
Misunderstood.

ozymandias

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2007, 06:32:35 PM »
 :puke:  Actually I think they'd make a lovely couple! :wedding:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 06:34:26 PM by ozymandias »