Author Topic: The Geek thread: How many computers do you own?  (Read 1405 times)

duncvis

Re: The Geek thread: How many computers do you own?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 03:21:42 PM »
Like I said, I beefed it up with some stuff I already had. The Celeron 600 was ok when I got it seven years ago, but wasnt powerful enough to run XP or any recent software. I dropped it off for recycling a couple of months ago.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 03:36:04 PM »
Like I said, I beefed it up with some stuff I already had. The Celeron 600 was ok when I got it seven years ago, but wasnt powerful enough to run XP or any recent software. I dropped it off for recycling a couple of months ago.
Could you not use it as a file server or something useful then? I still have a PIII, and it runs XP like a dream.

duncvis

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 03:45:26 PM »
Nah, I had no practical application for it. It was too old to be economic to upgrade and had too little RAM to be useful for most applications.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 03:49:31 PM »
Nah, I had no practical application for it. It was too old to be economic to upgrade and had too little RAM to be useful for most applications.
I suppose loading it up with more RAM would have cost more than the PC. MY PIII has 512 meg in it, in fact it is just as good at most basic tasks as my lappie, if not quicker because its almost empty.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 04:02:54 PM »

Thats a pretty good deal, £90 for all that. Was the Celeron 600 like working with a cripple?

Fucking Hitler wannabe!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 04:22:41 PM »
Let's see...

My desktop, a 5-yo PC (P4 2.5GHz) running Debian Linux and WinXP for games. Nice 21" LCD monitor, though, and a reasonably fresh nVidia card for the graphics.

My wife's work laptop (a dual-core something Dell). Win XP Pro. Technically it's not ours and i don't have to admin it. Thankfully.

My age-old steam-powered Dell laptop (P3 750MHz) running WinXP Pro. I used to have Debian on another HDD but that disk passed away, sadly.

The kids' pooter, a 3.4(?)GHz dual-core PC. Win XP, fresh install (earlier today, in fact). Nice, big LCD and an ATi graphics card.

A Sun UltraSparc II (dual processor) server running Debian. Lots of memory, lots of HDDs. Makes a lot of noise.

An age-old SunSparc V running Red Hat 6. Makes a lot of noise, too.

A P133 PC running Win95, used only for sound analysis.

And of course, I have a couple of older PCs (some of them even work) and one Amiga 500 (that does work).
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 05:01:49 PM »
I own one computer but the motherboard is shot. I can't post details about it like a tpycial aspie/autie because I don't know shit about it lol.

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 06:25:16 PM »
A Sun UltraSparc II (dual processor) server running Debian. Lots of memory, lots of HDDs. Makes a lot of noise.

awesome odeon  :clap:

what do you use it for?

:plus:

richard

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 07:37:32 PM »
i consider my clothes more geeky than my computers. i have three :laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 08:30:42 PM »
I don't really have geeky computers. I have three that I have thrown together.

My main one is an old Soyo Dragon board, with RAID, AMD XP2400, 2GB RAM*, WinXP Pro, 300 and 400 GB HDDs pairs, M-Audio sound, Radeon 9800XT 256 MB graphics card, Plextor CD-R, Sony DVD, Universal card reader. It was basically my work box, before I lost my job. Set up for loading photos from the camera shoots and burnig, I had Photoshop, CorelDraw, Nero and a few other graphics aps, but not much else in it. I have now moved all my graphics shit to my newer box and this one has almost no software in it, except for internet, Winamp and fractal stuff. I have my good stereo stuff hooked up to it.

Newest computer is similar, but I used an ASUS P4P8X, P4 2.8GHz, 2Gb RAM, Win XP Pro (cracked, not connected), Radeon 9800 PRO, same CD burner, 160GB HDD, all my graphics software, but nothing music or internet related on this one. I just use it for graphics, so it basically has all possible Windows services turned off and it fucking flies compared to the other one.

Last is another Soyo board, 900MHz P3, 512MB Ram, 80GB HDD, ATI Wonder 7800 64 MB graphics, Audigy Sound card, Win ME. I only use it for the kids educational DOS games, these days.

I do have a working antique, that I haven't tossed out, yet. It's an old Compaq 486 DXII, 25MHz, with 32MB RAM 600MB HDD. :D It works fine, but it has its hands full booting Win95. It was my dad's and he paid an extra thousand dollars to get the 600MB HDD, instead of the 200MB!!

My only claim to geekdom is that I have over seventy five thousand songs ripped to disk.

Actually, I just looked - it's 78,356 songs I can access with my mouse.

*I forgot, I pulled a faulty stick of RAM out of this one. It's now got 1GB.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 08:44:39 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 12:41:03 AM »
Miracle GA hasn't posted here yet.
My computer is black, makes a lot of noise, it thinks more than I do. :P
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 05:04:17 AM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

GalileoAce

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 01:00:58 AM »
Miracle GA hasn't posted here yet.
My cpmputer is black, makes a lot of noise, it thinks more than I do. :P

Nah, no miracle, I don't look at new stuff as often..I'm slack that way.

This is my compy...

(5.9 is the highest possible rating, even if the device rates beyond what 5.9 is, it'll only get 5.9)

It cost $4500AUD [~$3,700USD] and it's awesome :D

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 01:10:39 AM »
a gig and a half of grahpics memory? :o and 4 processor cores :o holly shit! what operating system is running on that bad boy?

GalileoAce

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 01:12:02 AM »
Windows Vista Home Premium

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 01:29:06 AM »
Where's all the dust?  :laugh: