Educational

Author Topic: Theory of Mind thread  (Read 10387 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Theory of Mind thread
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2007, 06:21:20 AM »
Being smart academically has its downsides.
It does? What?
You have to do more to be fulfilled. And the good memory that goes with it is a bloody nuisance, there are lots of things I would rather forget.
Haha, bad memory is a nuisance. There are lots of things I would like to remember! I would like to be fulfilled but never am because I have to settle for something that I can achieve which is not much at all. I have an idea of what is out there and all that people can do such as go to uni and get degrees and things like this. I am aware, ignorance is something else.
Oppotunity is more important than ability these days, you dont need intellect to achieve much, its all about connections. As for bad memory, its a lot better than being able to recall every bad moment in your life like it happened 10 minutes ago. It makes forgiveness very difficult to say the least. Average joe has a simple life, lets put it that way. All he needs is a reasonable job, a home, maybe a wife and kids, and he is fulfilled and happy.

Offline Izaak

• Minister for Agriculture of The Aspie Elite
  • Fresh Meat
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2007, 06:22:56 AM »
Smartness sucks. I have a very high tested intelligence but I coudln't tie my shoes unless someone told me that was what I was supposed to do next.

I often used to dream of being stupider so I wouldn't have to be so aware of how much I miss even though I am aware of it.

As for fullfillment. I am fulfilled as long as I have my favourite text book, my cat, and jazz cd.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2007, 06:28:25 AM »
It does? What?
You have to do more to be fulfilled. And the good memory that goes with it is a bloody nuisance, there are lots of things I would rather forget.
Haha, bad memory is a nuisance. There are lots of things I would like to remember! I would like to be fulfilled but never am because I have to settle for something that I can achieve which is not much at all. I have an idea of what is out there and all that people can do such as go to uni and get degrees and things like this. I am aware, ignorance is something else.
Oppotunity is more important than ability these days, you dont need intellect to achieve much, its all about connections. As for bad memory, its a lot better than being able to recall every bad moment in your life like it happened 10 minutes ago. It makes forgiveness very difficult to say the least. Average joe has a simple life, lets put it that way. All he needs is a reasonable job, a home, maybe a wife and kids, and he is fulfilled and happy.

Quite an appropriate comment, considering your avatar.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2007, 06:30:24 AM »
It does? What?

Quite an appropriate comment, considering your avatar.
:laugh: Which bits of it?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2007, 06:34:37 AM »

None. I was not referring to any bits.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2007, 06:51:59 AM »
I often used to dream of being stupider so I wouldn't have to be so aware of how much I miss even though I am aware of it.
I feel that awareness is different. I am very aware of what I don't know. Yes being less self-aware sometimes would be a relief. When I was younger I had moments of clarity, where I could learn. I don't get those moments anymore. :violin:
Average joe has a simple life, lets put it that way. All he needs is a reasonable job, a home, maybe a wife and kids, and he is fulfilled and happy.
Life is more complicated for people than you think. It is difficult to get those things.
I can remember loads of bad stuff I have done because it is on my conscience, those memories are automatically in the long-term memory file. Things that people have done to me, those are just events.

Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2007, 10:08:10 AM »
common sense and quick wit is better than book smarts anyday.
Misunderstood.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2007, 10:12:26 AM »

Average joe has a simple life, lets put it that way. All he needs is a reasonable job, a home, maybe a wife and kids, and he is fulfilled and happy.
Life is more complicated for people than you think. It is difficult to get those things.
I can remember loads of bad stuff I have done because it is on my conscience, those memories are automatically in the long-term memory file. Things that people have done to me, those are just events.

For the average NT its pretty easy to do, lets face it thats the only thing they can really do well.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2007, 11:49:29 AM »
really?  amazing how so many of them get on well in life then, isn't it?  i mean, being so completely useless at everything else, as they are. 

::)

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2007, 11:56:53 AM »
really?  amazing how so many of them get on well in life then, isn't it?  i mean, being so completely useless at everything else, as they are. 

::)
The average NT is not in a high up position, and are satisfied with not being there, in fact a lot of them do not want to be promoted above that. I am not refering to every NT, just the average one. The clever NTs still greatly outnumber us aspies.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2007, 11:57:49 AM »
define average.  and where are you getting this information from?  i can't find a wiki entry for "employment/social status of neurotypicals", myself.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2007, 11:58:07 AM »
yes i am. :laugh:

wait, it doesn't work like that in the bugs bunny cartoons.  i switch what i say, then you switch waht you say and then i have just fandangoed you.

i knew you were gonna do it. :laugh: meep meep!
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2007, 12:01:19 PM »
define average.  and where are you getting this information from?  i can't find a wiki entry for "employment/social status of neurotypicals", myself.
By average I would say roughly normal in terms on intellect, aspirations and so on. As for my information, I got it from talking to lots of people who fit that over the years, although in certain cases their intellect is beyond average by quite a bit.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »
By average I would say roughly normal in terms on intellect, aspirations and so on. As for my information, I got it from talking to lots of people who fit that over the years, although in certain cases their intellect is beyond average by quite a bit.

define "normal", and can you be more specific quantitatively about "lots".

duncvis

« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »
also some comparative data regarding their difference from ASD folk in this regard.