Author Topic: Should I swallow my pride  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Should I swallow my pride
« on: August 27, 2007, 07:29:13 AM »
And register at some online dating sites? The whole concept makes me feel a bit awkward to be honest.

I feel it's the best way to get over someone - find someone else. Any other suggestions?

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: Should I swallow my pride
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 07:30:51 AM »
Why not? I tried it, and 'twasn't worthwhile,
but you like IM, I presume, so it shouldn't
be too horrible.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 08:24:12 AM »
You could swallow me instead.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Kosmonaut

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:27:26 AM »
I don't see why not, if that is what you want.

The_P

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 08:34:06 AM »
And register at some online dating sites? The whole concept makes me feel a bit awkward to be honest.

I feel it's the best way to get over someone - find someone else. Any other suggestions?

Why is it a bad thing? Non-nerds use it.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 08:49:27 AM »
I can't advise one way or the other, but if you do go through with it, you may want to research/compare.  Here is one list of comaprisons of services.

Whatever you do, stay safe.  If you actually do a real-life meetup, do it as a double/group date with people you know already if you can, and whether you can or can't, do it in a public place.  You might also want to take public transport there and back to make it harder for the person to track you if you don't want them to.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 09:52:20 AM »

It depends what sort of guy you are looking for, you may not find anyone on these sites. Have you figured out what you want, then its easier to hang out somewhere where you are likely to find the right person.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 09:55:14 AM »

It depends what sort of guy you are looking for, you may not find anyone on these sites. Have you figured out what you want, then its easier to hang out somewhere where you are likely to find the right person.
yes

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:22:06 PM »
There isn't a real reason why you shouldn't.   As long as their is a variety of people for you to meet in your area it could be a really good thing.   I have no idea how many people in NZ actually use internet dating.   Just do your homework on the person and the site.   I wouldn't take it as swallowing your pride totally, you just are more comfortable with talking to people online than in person.   I think there are plenty of people out there like that.

Take any measures to assure your safety, meeting them the first time with a friend usually helps in a public place.   Usually not a good idea to go alone, and PMS Elle's suggestion about how to get there so you aren't followed is good.   Like for example when I met up with people I played FFXI with I always brought one of my friends and we met somewhere public (like the double date I had recently).   
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 12:24:26 PM »
Doesn't matter where you are, gender ratios on net dating sites are male/female 1000000:1. You don't look half bad so expect a LOT of responses. You'll have a tremendous task of sifting through the shit.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 12:41:58 PM »
Internet dating is better than finding some guy at a bar IMHO.  I met my wife online.  Don't rush to meeting them in person, get to know them a bit first, email/IM back and forth for a while, then talk on the phone if you can.  After that, meet them somewhere public, and have fun.  I don't see people on the internet as being anymore dangerous than anywhere else. 
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

The_P

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 01:19:14 PM »
Internet dating is better than finding some guy at a bar IMHO.  I met my wife online.  Don't rush to meeting them in person, get to know them a bit first, email/IM back and forth for a while, then talk on the phone if you can.  After that, meet them somewhere public, and have fun.  I don't see people on the internet as being anymore dangerous than anywhere else. 

Thank the lord for open-minded people.

richard

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 02:05:44 PM »
meh theres nothing wrong with going to a dating site. it gets boring after awile though

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 02:07:04 PM »
meh theres nothing wrong with going to a dating site. it gets boring after awile though
For guys.  We're a dime-a-dozen on internet dating sites.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 02:18:01 PM »
i like meeting people on messageboards, dating sites give me the creeps. though my mom has found some people on friending and dating sites so i guess they can work.

if some guy sounds too good to be true, be careful cuz according to Oprah (yes i watch Oprah) :P there are some conmen posing as some goody twoshoes and then they lure women in and get their money. lol. i thought the woman on the show was pretty stupid to have fallen for the guy's thing but i guess it can happen to n00bs. :P she thought he was in love with her and was some mother theresa or something.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 02:21:11 PM by Pennywise »
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde: