Educational

Author Topic: I See Old People  (Read 335 times)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
I See Old People
« on: May 31, 2006, 02:02:48 PM »
Today I got an iron infusion at the hospital, and as usual I was surrounded by old people. Not only was I the only young person there for a while I was also the only person without cancer. That's one way to effecttively humble a person.It makes you feel like a crybaby because I may be in pain but whatever I have probably won't kill me. I felt bad for another young woman that came there with her mother. She nearly fainted when she saw that the nurses were drawing a lot of blood out of cancer patients. I think I've come a long way because before I probably wouldn't have had sympathy for her since she wasn't the one hooked up to a bunch of needles. I actually felt bad for her, and I got a look on th outside of how others view all these medical procedures. It must be very daunting for someone to watch their mother go through all that. I got some free chocolate chip cookies and grapefruit juice so I was happy. I got to lie down in a nice comfy chair and went to sleep, because it lasted for four hours. Still pretty drowsy.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: I See Old People
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 02:24:09 PM »
do you have anemia?
Misunderstood.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 02:30:26 PM »
Hopefully not anymore.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 02:31:46 PM »
iron transfusions.

do they require a shitload of needles?
Misunderstood.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 02:37:20 PM »
The nurses put one main needle in you, and it has attachments so that it can connect to other needles instead of having to puncture patients in more spots. There are a lot of bags. Premeds including steroids and benedryl and some kind of clear liquid. An iron shot they inject into you slowly to make sure patients don't have adverse affects. After the shot they hook up a big bag of iron to you. Not so bad because the benedryl knocked me out.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 02:59:32 PM »
were you exhausted all the time?
getting leg cramps at night?

and what do really swollen ankles mean?
Misunderstood.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 03:31:09 PM »

Exhausted- yes
Leg cramps- no just shooting pains probably not related to anemia
Swollen ankles- same as the leg cramps answer for the first part.
Swollen ankles could be caused by several things, so can leg cramps. If you're experiencing those symptoms yourself, go to a doctor and have them checked out.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 04:07:20 PM »
last year before my bowel obstruction surgery i had a very low iron count.

no blood in the stool and i eat plenty of red meat.

i was given a diagnosis of anemia due to iron deficiency.

anyways after my surgery i was feeling better.  but those same symptoms (above) i had last year and am seeming to have them again.
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 04:50:28 PM »

holy crap. I have those symptoms, never considered anaemia...  ::)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 10:20:49 AM »
Yes I see a lot of old people on this site too