Author Topic: The imaginary band game!!  (Read 1123 times)

duncvis

The imaginary band game!!
« on: July 07, 2007, 03:13:10 PM »
Ok, since there have been a few 'band names' floating around the threads the last couple of days I thought this might be fun - even if only a few people play.

How to play: Think up a name for an imaginary band/solo artist. AND a short biography/description of them. The more outlandish and implausible the better.  >:D

I'll start:

Pink Taco formed in the steamy rock underground of Cornholio, Texas in the late 90s, as 'dykes with attitude!!!11eleven', known for their raucous three note screechalongs, 'outrageous' backstage antics, and love of Los Lobos. After their self-produced debut album 'Taco Bella' bombed, they disbanded on being told Riot Grrrl was over years ago, and slunk away having brought shame to their families.

Your go...

Thagomizer

Re: The imaginary band game!!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 03:25:03 PM »
Awesome! Some of my friends liked to make up stupid names for fake metal bands. This was part of our idea for an announcement for a prank show that wouldn't happen, featuring bands that didn't exist. Of course, they're so close to the real thing they aren't really satire. Here's one I posted at urbandictionary:

Immaculate Deception is a little-known American Black/Death metal band formed in 1993 by a manic-depressive vocalist David 'Eblis' Bickle and guitarist Tom 'Mammon' Gallagher (the latter was released from prison after an alcohol-related accident at this time). While auditioning in New York the two exchanged ideas but thought nothing of eachother until they met their godsend: brutal percussionist and practicing occultist Gary 'Balrog' Jackson, who instantly recognized their talent and decided that if a band wasn't formed at that point, there would be no justice in the world. Not long after the trio took up tracveling and auditioning together did they begin to gather converts like a snowball. These included the talented bass player Randal 'Belial' Everson, who just recently graduated from college, and Wolgang 'Azrael' Grubb, whose experimental notions in music theory and keyboarding expertise contributed much to the band's overall sound. The result was one of the most intense and innovative American black metal bands ever formed.

However, Immaculate Deception had difficulty financing itself, and before long tragedy struck, for Bickle committed suicide in 1996, despite his exceptionally talented writing and vocals, he was never quite satisfied with himself or his accomplishments and thus his death robbed the genre of one of it's most talented vocalists. The rest of the band began to lose morale at this point as well, and the band reached a funk that some say they have never recovered from. In 1999, while on tour, Randal had wandered off into the woods in Maine and has not been seen since. Foul Play is not suspected, but the mystery remains unsolved and the matter is not closed to the FBI. To make matters worse, Gary, though dedicated to Immaculate Deception since it's initial forming, died of a drug overdose in 2000. While Tom and Wolfgang recruited a new singer and bassist, Gallagher attempted to gain more promotion for the band by burning down a church. He did not succeed, but was caught by police and convicted in 2001. Having lost his will to play, 'Azrael' soon found a more promising career in a technical band called Bad Intro.

Despite this constant stream of tragedy and inconsistency, Immaculate Deception has proven it's resilience, and with an entirely new line-up is currently active after releasing their latest album "Gates of Attrition", which remains true to the band's original sound. The current line-up is:

Satanniel (guitars/vocals)
Geryon (guitars)
Mastema (bass)
Rimmon (drums)
Nisroch (keyboards).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 03:26:44 PM by Thagomizer »

The_P

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 03:27:39 PM »
I would so suck at this kind of topic, which is why I'm going to abstain from posting onwards.

Perhaps I'll "get it" when I'm 35 and cruising around the world with my cool friends.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 03:29:16 PM by Basement-dwelling Peegai »

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 03:31:24 PM »
DSM (abbreviation for the Demented Song Makers) is a nerdcore group formed by members of Midvalle University's chapter of Psi Chi.  Thus far, they have only played local venues, but are hoping to break into the industry soon in a big way, with such promising singles as MMPI-2 4-8-9,* Milgram Made Me Do It, and You Can Push The Lever on My Skinner Box Any Day.

(OK, I suck at this, but I'll probably quote my own post and make up more song names later anyway.)

*4-8-9 is a cluster that shows up on the MMPI-2 personality test known as the "charles manson" cluster.  It might actually make a better metal band name than a song name.  Yes, I'm geeky.  Screw you.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

duncvis

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 03:37:31 PM »
They need a song called 'Freudian Slip'  ;)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 03:38:59 PM »
They need a song called 'Freudian Slip'  ;)

Absolutely.  On their first album, it was track number sex.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

duncvis

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 03:53:26 PM »
We need a forehead slapping emo for your puns.  :laugh:

duncvis

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 03:55:20 PM »
Thag - where did you get all the 'occult' black metal names from? There has to be a generator somewhere.  :eyebrows:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 03:56:15 PM »
yay!
sadly, my brain is too cabbaged to do anything tonight, but rest assured, i shall be brimming full of ideas in the very near future.

top thread, bruv!   :clap:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 04:26:35 PM »
There's actually a little known duo called Freudian Slip. They sing Simon & Garfunkel covers on funerals and weddings. They claim to have a demo tape but so far, scoring on grieving widows and starry-eyed bridesmaids seems to be their main reason for being.

How's that? :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 04:27:46 PM »
lol.  were the wretched females wearing a freudian slip, do we think?  :laugh:

duncvis

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 04:29:32 PM »
Poptastic, mate!

Thagomizer

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 08:46:43 PM »
Thag - where did you get all the 'occult' black metal names from? There has to be a generator somewhere.  :eyebrows:
LOL, there might as well be. These bands are already self-parody anyway, except they don't know it. I didn't look any of those names up to write the description. They're known to me since I like to read about theology and medieval lore regarding the dark side. Some of those names were on lists of Arch-devils and Demon lords from 1st edition D&D.

Anyway, here's another:

Metallivore is an underrated and largely unknown Speed/Thrash metal band that formed sometime in 1994, the founder, Dave Burton, claims he knew Metallica and Megadeth before they were in their respective bands, and so has drawn lots of inspiration from them.

Dave Burton is both singer and lead guitarist, and currently tours with Jay Houston (guitars), Ted Manley (bass), and Sean Cuniff IV (drums).

Some of their former members included Eric Avalon (a drummer who later left in 1996 and joined some viking metal band called 'Vikingness') Andy Rickman (their talented lead bassist who died during a tragic accident involving a tour bus in 1997) and Colin Elfman (a guitarist who used to be in Dr. Punch, and left in 2001).

Metallivore's three known albums include:

Puppets Sell Peace but the Master says No (1996)

Lightning is My Business . . . and the Ride is Good (1998)

The Countdown does Justice for all Extinction (2000)

They haven't officially disbanded, despite the now poisonous relationship betwixt Dave and Sean, but Metallivore hasn't enjoyed much success over the years and it doesn't look like their sales warrant enough to justify another tour. We can only hope that they'll show up to a few concerts in New England, though.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 09:25:03 PM by Thagomizer »

willow

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 10:12:44 PM »
I have no biography...but the best band name of all time would be

Hideous Rash...

first single.....

Between My Thighs.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore