Educational

Author Topic: Car Advice Please  (Read 357 times)

Offline Janicka

• Concertmaster of the Aspie World Elite Orchestra
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Nicolo Paganini's Slovakian Prostitute
Car Advice Please
« on: July 06, 2007, 10:08:09 PM »
If you know anything about cars, I'd like to exploit your knowledge for a moment.

It's been really, really, really hot here for the last few days (think 105+), with humidity under 10%. This is pretty abnormal for where I live.

Today, when I was leaving work (it was 106), I had trouble starting my car. I had to turn it over 3-4 times before it started. I just about gave up, but it finally started. Last week, the same thing happenned with my husband's car. We walked home (2 miles) in the heat. We went back to get the car a couple of hours later (at night) and it started just fine.

There are no problems with the batteries in either car. Can this be related to heat?
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

Scrapheap

Re: Car Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 10:17:42 PM »
What kind of car?? what year specifically.

Yes, heat can affect a car, your exact problem is hard to diagnose without more information.

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 10:18:42 PM »
Mine - 2001 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

Husband's - 1996 Subaru Legacy
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

Scrapheap

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 10:28:11 PM »
Ford Taurus' suffer a simmilar problem and it was caused by a bad fuel pump.

Since both of your cars are Subaru's, they likely use the same fuel pump.

I can't say for certian, but that's a good place to start looking.

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:30:14 PM »
I'm suspicious that this problem may be heat-related, since both cars had the problem within the last week.  We've had all sorts of heat records broken in the last week in Utah.

Scrapheap

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 10:35:56 PM »
Heat can expose a weak fuel pump, because without sufficient pressure, the gas boils inside the fuel lines. This is known as "Vapor lock"

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 10:40:22 PM »
Would this cause a check engine light to come on?  It's come on in my husband's car, but not mine.

Scrapheap

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 10:48:34 PM »
Would this cause a check engine light to come on?  It's come on in my husband's car, but not mine.

I don't know much about Subaru's specifically, but my guess would be no, there's likely something else causing the light to go on.

You can buy a scanner to get the error codes out of your cars computer for pretty cheap.

On GM's you used to be able to short out the bottom right two terminals, and the check engine light would fash the errror codes at you.

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 10:53:50 PM »
Well, I googled vapor lock, and it sounds quite like the problem with my husband's car.  I don't know about mine, though.  It was standing all day in the parking lot, so it seems unlikely.  With my husband's car, though, we were running errands, so vapor lock sounds plausible. I guess I may have overreacted with my car, because of what happenned with my husband's car.

richard

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 10:56:38 PM »
you dont know shit about subarus because there a grim mountian town car, not none of this pussy shit you drive out on the beach

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 06:54:29 AM »

I don't know much about Subaru's specifically, but my guess would be no, there's likely something else causing the light to go on.

You can buy a scanner to get the error codes out of your cars computer for pretty cheap.

On GM's you used to be able to short out the bottom right two terminals, and the check engine light would fash the errror codes at you.

Vapor lock would be my first guess as well, but it could also be caused from any pressure leak, but there would be a smell of gasoline in the case of a leak, of course, but there may be no sign of liquid at that temperature. Couldn't a vapor lock cause the oxygen sensor to misread and display a failure code?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 07:09:21 AM »
Ride a bike. Aircon as standard.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 10:17:21 AM »
No gas smell at all.  My husband's car is totally normal now. 

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 09:02:11 PM »

Just to point out you don't have to buy one... some auto places let you rent equipment, and there's also SAM:
http://www.iamsam.com/
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.