Educational

Author Topic: Post a useless fact  (Read 61387 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: Post a useless fact
« Reply #1995 on: April 07, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »
^
Really? Mmmm, now I'm wondering if it was the first of the year. Think the little fuckers are usually (and logically) earlier around here than 'round where you live.

I live in a bad patch of my village. Means that I have them all year around. Two streets from me, they hardly have the critters.
On the plus side, I have now been the prey of our local mosquitoes so often that I don't get hives from them any more. My oldest is nearing that stage. My youngest still can look like a raisin-roll now and then.
If a mosquito at my parents, 70 km form here, has a go at me, I will get a red itching bump.
An immunity to local mosquito saliva? Cool.

Took me ten years, but it is worth it.  :laugh:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #1996 on: April 07, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »
I, bugger, do not compute here, Hyke. Year 'round? With the previous winter's cold? Um, do you have a basement? (me asking.. for mosquitoes rarely come from outside, with e.g. last December temperatures.. being cold blooded creatures.. they must have come from a sheltered place)

Oink?

(surry, don't mean to whine above)
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1997 on: April 07, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »
I, bugger, do not compute here, Hyke. Year 'round? With the previous winter's cold? Um, do you have a basement? (me asking.. for mosquitoes rarely come from outside, with e.g. last December temperatures.. being cold blooded creatures.. they must have come from a sheltered place)

Oink?

Well, it looks like it is slowly getting better.

I live in a part of the village where they didn't put drainage in the ground. Living below sea-level, that is just dumb.
So, till last year, I always had water under my house, was under the whole block, and under the houses at the other side of the street too. So, lots of breeding opportunities.
Now they are finally dealing with the water problem. And I did have less mosquitoes this January than in the 20 Januaries before. And there have been pretty cold years in those 20 years too.
There is hoping for winters in the future for me.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

« Reply #1998 on: April 07, 2011, 03:13:43 PM »
The Prussian royal anthem was Heil Dir im Siegerkranz (Hail Thee in victory laurel). It had the same melody as God save the King/Queen. In the Third Reich they also had this song but changed the text to Heil Dir im Führerglanz (Hail Thee in Führer-glory).

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1999 on: April 07, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »

I have never seen a mosquito in January. There's usually still three feet of snow on the ground then. We probably won't be seeing them around here for a couple months yet.

P7PSP

« Reply #2000 on: April 07, 2011, 03:23:13 PM »

I have never seen a mosquito in January. There's usually still three feet of snow on the ground then. We probably won't be seeing them around here for a couple months yet.
But you get lots when they are in season don't you?

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #2001 on: April 07, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »

I live in a part of the village where they didn't put drainage in the ground. Living below sea-level, that is just dumb.
So, till last year, I always had water under my house, was under the whole block, and under the houses at the other side of the street too. So, lots of breeding opportunities.
Now they are finally dealing with the water problem. And I did have less mosquitoes this January than in the 20 Januaries before. And there have been pretty cold years in those 20 years too.

Yeah, poor drainage in combo with below sea-level polder-areas seem to do the trick. (Do I have any advice here, I'm wondering.. All around spreading some salt in the 'kruipruimte' maybe? Nah, too impractical probs.)

Dunno.

Um, I was born in a village a little southwards from Amsterdam on a 'polder spot' about 3/4 meters below sea-level. (um, as extra, free of charge, info there) Now live 5m above, I think.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2002 on: April 07, 2011, 03:29:28 PM »

But you get lots when they are in season don't you?

Usually, yeah. Depends on how wet the spring is. Should have lots this summer.

Celticgoddess

« Reply #2003 on: April 07, 2011, 03:44:25 PM »
Ick. I'm allergic to mosquitoes. Any time I get a bite, it swells up bigger than a toonie.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2004 on: April 07, 2011, 04:13:57 PM »

Ick. I'm allergic to mosquitoes. Any time I get a bite, it swells up bigger than a toonie.

For those who don't speak Canuck...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_2_dollar_coin

Celticgoddess

« Reply #2005 on: April 07, 2011, 04:16:44 PM »
Oh, right. Thank you! :laugh:

P7PSP

« Reply #2006 on: April 07, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »

For those who don't speak Canuck...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_2_dollar_coin
You have been assimilated. :borg:  :laugh:

Celticgoddess

« Reply #2007 on: April 07, 2011, 07:55:23 PM »
:lol:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2008 on: April 07, 2011, 11:52:18 PM »

Oink?

I'm glad the drainage issue is finally being addressed in your area. Mosquitoes can carry dangerous diseases.   :thumbdn:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Stalin

• Constant Poster
« Reply #2009 on: April 08, 2011, 03:42:00 AM »
I will be gravely confused by the new bills.
200crowns bills? Why? It'll only jack upp the prices and....yeah...make me confused.

Do any of you non-swedish ppl regonize these guys?

When Stalin strikes, lightning stands still

Stalin has the strength of ten tigresses

When Stalin asks, you answer

Stalin freezes your blood, makes cowards out of strong men