Educational

Author Topic: brushes with death.  (Read 5900 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: brushes with death.
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2007, 04:43:17 AM »
I meant that I'm less likely to feel comfortable passing on a link to something I wrote than I assume you would be about something you did. But it was only a friendly 'dig'.

:) That's just cause I hide it better.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2007, 04:45:04 AM »
HEY! I don't even do that (unlike most of the males here)

;D I thought you liked a little touch of meanness on occasion.

Not that it was really mean, since you got what you wanted.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2007, 04:46:38 AM »
HEY! I don't even do that (unlike most of the males here)

;D I thought you liked a little touch of meanness on occasion.

Not that it was really mean, since you got what you wanted.

Nah. But I got something, and I guess I'll settle for that.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2007, 05:28:07 AM »
I meant that I'm less likely to feel comfortable passing on a link to something I wrote than I assume you would be about something you did. But it was only a friendly 'dig'.

I often wonder with people who seem so full of confidence in there own abilities if they actually do have at least some self-doubt hidden away in there.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2007, 05:31:15 AM »

I often wonder with people who seem so full of confidence in there own abilities if they actually do have at least some self-doubt hidden away in there.

Unless they're idiots - like Bush - I'd say yes.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2007, 06:34:17 AM »

i do.
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2007, 07:21:03 AM »

i do.

I think we all do ...

I can't tell you how many times my confidence, false or not, took me farther than my abilities could have, alone.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 07:27:52 AM by Calamity Jane »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2007, 07:58:29 AM »
 I generally assume that confident people do have self doubt hidden in there somewhere, the thing with  you Pyraxis (and this isn't meant as a dig in anyway) is that you almost seem to believe that other people's opinions of you and your work don't matter at all.  Its almost like you don't need approval from anyone else because you believe you are better than the vast majority of people.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2007, 11:28:06 AM »
Its almost like you don't need approval from anyone else because you believe you are better than the vast majority of people.

maybe she is.
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2007, 12:01:44 PM »
I do believe I'm better than the vast majority of people, and my experiences have tended to reinforce it.

What you're seeing with my work is related but not the same. For as long as I can remember, I've been an artist. There was never a point where I thought I would do something other with my life than art and writing. I'm obviously not perfect, but when I was little, I was better enough than the people around me that I was constantly told how good it was. Because they were untrained in art themselves, they saw it as better than it actually was, and told me so. I won most competitions that I entered, to the point where (when I was 13) I started refusing to enter at all. By the time I was 17, I was well aware of how little raw skill actually mattered, beyond a certain level that most contestants had already reached, and so how it depended instead on the personal taste, mood, and philosophy of each judge. I decided the whole thing was pointless. I went to a fairly prestigious art college on a full-tuition scholarship that didn't officially exist - but when I had walked in on campus tour day and showed my portfolio and told the admissions counsellors that I couldn't afford to go with their existing scholarships, they pulled strings for me.

So I've got past experience against which the opinions of a few people on a website don't sway the balance at all.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2007, 12:06:02 PM »
i feel that i am better than most people as well.

:plus: for your honesty, pyraxis.
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2007, 12:06:56 PM »
Actually, most people believe that they are better than average. Which is of course statistically impossible. So there are a lot of deluded people running around, likely including both of us.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2007, 12:08:22 PM »
i really am.

i find that whenever i put my mind to something i tend to excel at it quite quickly.  in no time i am better than people that have been doing the same thing, repetitively for years.

probably, because i bother to analyze everything.
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2007, 12:12:39 PM »
Sure, I excel at things quickly also. I'm just pointing out the statistics in order to put a slight temper on unbridled arrogance. Otherwise it's too easy to get complacent, if you think you're too good. Better to keep a competitive edge.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2007, 03:56:01 PM »
...but one day you'll wake up and notice that the little edge you thought you had didn't matter in the slightest.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein