Author Topic: brushes with death.  (Read 5984 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: brushes with death.
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2007, 01:11:55 PM »
That makes no sense. Why would a doctor want one of his patients locked up like that? Did he do it to any anothers?

Yes, he did it to some patients so they should take the medications he wanted them to take etc. The sickest people in the Swedish mental ward are the doctors. The psychs are the real psychopaths.

if i can figure out a way to smuggle you a glock, will you shoot the doctor?
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »
Lit and I are actually in perfect agreement about this country's so-called mental health care. Lots of people have paid dearly for trusting these so-called professionals.

There are exceptions but they are few, easily counted. The place where I got my dx is one. That's one of the very few places where they don't assume they know everything about ASDs, in spite of having met, treated, and dx'd hundreds of patients on the spectrum.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2007, 07:42:23 PM »
sociopaths gravitate toward positions of power, especially healthcare, politics and child-care. of course the same goes for people who truly care and want to help people. makes it kinda tricky.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2007, 09:42:14 PM »
It is much more difficult to involuntarily commit someone for mental health treatment here in the U.S.  The person gets an attorney, for free if he can't afford one, and it goes to trial.  Whoever wants to involuntarily commit the person has to prove to the judge that the person is a danger to himself or others.  It has to go to trial again if they want to keep the person committed over a certain number of days.  In my experience, they want to get the person out of the mental hospital as soon as possible.

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2007, 11:16:21 PM »
I was really depressed and none of the anti-depressants were working at the time. I agreed to the ECT beacause I hoped it would render me brain-dead for good. I felt I had nothing to lose.
BTW, I am not so glum now.
Wow. I can actually understand that sentiment.
I'd just be worried about losing what might be
vital.
I lost a lot of memory. There are chunks of time that are just missing and I still haven't remembered them.
Also my RAM (as I call it!) is probably less than half of what it used to be and it was never any good in the first place.
They say that it takes about two months for memory to go back to normal. Maybe that is for some people but it is still affecting me now, a year later.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Scrapheap

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2007, 01:10:31 AM »
sociopaths gravitate toward positions of power, especially healthcare, politics and child-care. of course the same goes for people who truly care and want to help people. makes it kinda tricky.

I think its more often that NPD's gravitate towards power.

Litigious

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2007, 02:49:55 AM »
That makes no sense. Why would a doctor want one of his patients locked up like that? Did he do it to any anothers?

Yes, he did it to some patients so they should take the medications he wanted them to take etc. The sickest people in the Swedish mental ward are the doctors. The psychs are the real psychopaths.

if i can figure out a way to smuggle you a glock, will you shoot the doctor?

He moved to Norway and is 70 years or so by now. But I would use a Glock to shoot anyone who tried doing that or something similar to me again, for sure. And I already have my explosives. I could make a hell of a mess even without a gun, if the cops don't take me by surprise, that is. 

Litigious

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2007, 02:54:00 AM »
It is much more difficult to involuntarily commit someone for mental health treatment here in the U.S.  The person gets an attorney, for free if he can't afford one, and it goes to trial.  Whoever wants to involuntarily commit the person has to prove to the judge that the person is a danger to himself or others.  It has to go to trial again if they want to keep the person committed over a certain number of days.  In my experience, they want to get the person out of the mental hospital as soon as possible.

We have that process here too, but the authorities do as they please. I had a lawyer and my mum testified in my favour. She said that I have a strong temper but that I'd never been that angry before and that it most likely was due to the lack of medication. The court somehow "misunderstood" her words, because in their decision, they motivated keeping me with having threatened to kill my mother and having incestous feelings for her!  ::) We have a right to appeal here too, but they kept me drugged on sedatives, so that I couldn't put myself together to write an appeal brief before the time to do so (three weeks) had expired. I actually fear and hate the authorities more than any criminal gang.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2007, 06:42:12 AM »

I think its more often that NPD's gravitate towards power.

what are NPD? people with normal personality disorder?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2007, 07:21:14 AM »
I was really depressed and none of the anti-depressants were working at the time. I agreed to the ECT beacause I hoped it would render me brain-dead for good. I felt I had nothing to lose.
vital.
I lost a lot of memory. There are chunks of time that are just missing and I still haven't remembered them.
Also my RAM (as I call it!) is probably less than half of what it used to be and it was never any good in the first place.
They say that it takes about two months for memory to go back to normal. Maybe that is for some people but it is still affecting me now, a year later.

i am just having a hard time thinking of shock therapy as a viable treatment option.
i always think of it as a torture technique.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2007, 07:28:53 AM »
vital.

i am just having a hard time thinking of shock therapy as a viable treatment option.
i always think of it as a torture technique.

They don't give it the way they used to, but I think it mostly hurts the brain. They still do it here in Sweden on occasions.

Offline In The spaGhetto

• minimalist
  • Constant Poster
  • I don't get people. What's their appeal precisely?
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2007, 07:29:40 AM »
didn't exactly get sold on the idea from that scene in Requiem for a dream
I glide through the social whirl with all the elegance of a dog in high heels.

Online renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2007, 08:03:14 AM »
didn't exactly get sold on the idea from that scene in Requiem for a dream
Yes, I just read about that. I've seen what ECT did for one guy, he actually wanted to live life again. Others I saw get it - they were all women - I kind of got the feeling they wanted attention for getting ECT, they would almost brag about it to the other patients.
I was ashamed, really scraping the bottom of the barrel. My family were against me for deciding to go ahead with it. Even now they won't talk about it with me. They've always viewed me as the crazy one. Unstable.

I got given general anaesthesia for ECT and I think that was the best bit. I liked the feeling of going under, that probably seems weird, heh.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2007, 08:12:57 AM »
it's a trade off, you can lose precious memories but actually make some new ones because you're not deathly depressed anymore.

i wouldn't want to lose my memories, it must be a sucky place to be in when you have to sacrifice something like that. some woman on TV said she lost the memory of her wedding or something.

but then there are some memories i'd love to get rid of, if only you could choose which ones to lose...
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Online renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2007, 08:19:10 AM »
I can't remember meeting GA for the first time in real life at all. I can't remember how exactly I got to hospital or what I did the first two months I was there. Apparently I slept a lot and didn't talk to anyone.
Also my family spent some time with me on Christmas Day there and I can't remember any of it.

Worst thing is, my memory is still shithouse. Learning anything is really hard.  :violin:
Tek'ma'tae