Educational

Author Topic: Great Avertisement for Online Classes  (Read 727 times)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Litigious

Re: Great Avertisement for Online Classes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 11:57:17 AM »
What a coincidence. I just got the same link from another Swede on a Swedish community. Though I still think that it should be a civil right to carry arms, despite such tragedies. You're 300 million people in the US. As good as anyone has a gun or could get one if s/he wanted. In relation to that, such deeds are very rare.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 12:10:17 PM »
What a coincidence. I just got the same link from another Swede on a Swedish community. Though I still think that it should be a civil right to carry arms, despite such tragedies. You're 300 million people in the US. As good as anyone has a gun or could get one if s/he wanted. In relation to that, such deeds are very rare.

I have no problem with the right to bear arms, I just wish there was a fullproof way that they would never end up the hands of idiots like the shooter in the link. Impossible, I know.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Litigious

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 12:16:57 PM »

I have no problem with the right to bear arms, I just wish there was a fullproof way that they would never end up the hands of idiots like the shooter in the link. Impossible, I know.

Oh, all anti-gunners in Europe, that want to ban guns completely, will be very happy tonight. Most European countries have no right to carry, but that's not enough for the anti-gun mafia. They want to ban private gun ownership completely.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 01:26:22 PM »
Have they said who the guy was yet?  All I heard on the news was that he was male and may be Asian-American.  I don't know how he could shoot people in the dorm and two hours later, go and shoot several more across campus.  The Washington Post is reporting that there are 32 people dead, counting him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/16/AR2007041600533.html?hpid=topnews

Excerpt:

32 Killed in Virginia Tech Shootings, At Least 24 Injured

By Robert E. Pierre and Sari Horwitz
Washington Post Staff Writers
Monday, April 16, 2007; 3:14 PM

Thirty-two people reported were killed and more than two dozen injured during a shooting rampage this morning at Virginia Tech, making it the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, law enforcement sources said this afternoon.

The unidentified shooter was among the dead, according to officials, at West Ambler Johnston, a dormitory, and Norris Hall, which houses the College of Engineering. Authorities said the first shooting was reported shortly after 7 a.m. at the dorm and the second about two hours later at Norris Hall. Law enforcement sources said a single shooter was responsible for both incidents.

Earlier in the day, university officials confirmed a lower number of fatalities.

Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum, speaking at a news conference today, said he did not know whether the shooter was a student. Some of those killed were students in a classroom at Norris Hall, he said.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," Virginia Tech president Charles Steger said at the news conference. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified that this would befall us."

On the first day of the school year last August, Virginia Tech was shut down because of concerns that a gunman was on campus. The man, an escaped inmate accused of killing a sheriff's deputy and a security guard, was later captured on the school grounds.

The campus, about four hours southwest of Washington, was shut down for the day. Families trying to find students are being advised to meet them at the Inn at Virginia Tech.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 02:17:15 PM »

since most people are idiots, you might as well ban guns.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 02:29:07 PM »
They actually mentioned it pretty briefly on the news. Funny, they made a lot more noise when they heard that rescue personel carried guns after the hurricane Katrina.  ???

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 02:32:33 PM »
i forgot this emo  ::) after my last post.
Misunderstood.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 03:46:36 PM »
It stirkes me as less sensical than high school shootings (not that they are either of course) because if you're in college, you're not there against your will because you're required.  You can bail.  So there's not that same prison-like mentality or atmosphere going on.  I'm waiting to see if they actually figure out what the hell caused this.  I've heard that it was some kind of relationship jealousy with at least one of the two.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

richard

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 05:21:39 PM »
oh fuck i spoke to soon. i knew it!

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 07:57:44 PM »
Do you always go off too early?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 10:13:11 PM »
They actually mentioned it pretty briefly on the news. Funny, they made a lot more noise when they heard that rescue personel carried guns after the hurricane Katrina.  ???

Goofy! Anyone who has ever been involved in a hurricane clean-up knows that you need to carry a gun, for your protection. The pet dogs, gone nuts, are bad enough, but the two legged kind can be very dangerous.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 10:24:13 PM »

Oh, all anti-gunners in Europe, that want to ban guns completely, will be very happy tonight. Most European countries have no right to carry, but that's not enough for the anti-gun mafia. They want to ban private gun ownership completely.

It doesn't take very many guns to solve this, each time it comes up. I hate the idea of having armed, "Classroom Marshalls", like on airline flights, but this idiot should not have been able to squeeze a second round at a human being, before he was put down by return fire, from a well trained source. Watch the building security ramp up, followed by increased tuition costs, etc.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 03:18:49 AM »

Goofy! Anyone who has ever been involved in a hurricane clean-up knows that you need to carry a gun, for your protection. The pet dogs, gone nuts, are bad enough, but the two legged kind can be very dangerous.

There were whole newspaper front pages where there were headlines like "Rescue workers in New Orleans armed to their teeth". And some reporter had written "Where else in the world except in the USA would people carry guns in a disaster area?" See how extremely naïve and gun hostile this society is?

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 06:58:52 AM »
Have they said who the guy was yet?  All I heard on the news was that he was male and may be Asian-American.  I don't know how he could shoot people in the dorm and two hours later, go and shoot several more across campus.  The Washington Post is reporting that there are 32 people dead, counting him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/16/AR2007041600533.html?hpid=topnews

Excerpt:

32 Killed in Virginia Tech Shootings, At Least 24 Injured

By Robert E. Pierre and Sari Horwitz
Washington Post Staff Writers
Monday, April 16, 2007; 3:14 PM

Thirty-two people reported were killed and more than two dozen injured during a shooting rampage this morning at Virginia Tech, making it the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, law enforcement sources said this afternoon.

The unidentified shooter was among the dead, according to officials, at West Ambler Johnston, a dormitory, and Norris Hall, which houses the College of Engineering. Authorities said the first shooting was reported shortly after 7 a.m. at the dorm and the second about two hours later at Norris Hall. Law enforcement sources said a single shooter was responsible for both incidents.

Earlier in the day, university officials confirmed a lower number of fatalities.

Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum, speaking at a news conference today, said he did not know whether the shooter was a student. Some of those killed were students in a classroom at Norris Hall, he said.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," Virginia Tech president Charles Steger said at the news conference. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified that this would befall us."

On the first day of the school year last August, Virginia Tech was shut down because of concerns that a gunman was on campus. The man, an escaped inmate accused of killing a sheriff's deputy and a security guard, was later captured on the school grounds.

The campus, about four hours southwest of Washington, was shut down for the day. Families trying to find students are being advised to meet them at the Inn at Virginia Tech.

The name of the shooter still hasn't been released yet.