Educational

Author Topic: day laborers and prostitution  (Read 676 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
day laborers and prostitution
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:57:40 PM »
California: Solicitation Just Part of Day Laborers' Lives

July 6, 2006

The practice of men hiring undocumented immigrant laborers for sex has some local health experts stressing the need to educate the workers about HIV/AIDS, which is spreading rapidly among Los Angeles Latinos.

For the past three years, prevention workers have distributed safe sex booklets to day laborers at Kester and Oxnard streets in Van Nuys. The location is one of several where hundreds of day laborers congregate in the morning for work. On a Web site for gay and bisexual men in search of sex, the street corner is listed among potential sites.

Young, alone, and poor, many day laborers are targeted for sex work -- especially once they've passed the morning without securing other work, said Dr. Frank Galvan, assistant professor at Los Angeles' Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science.

In Galvan's survey of 450 day laborers looking for day jobs at sites listed on the Web site, five Los Angeles venues and one in San Fernando Valley, 38 percent reported being solicited for sex, and 10 percent accepted the offer. The majority reported not using condoms. The men were six times more likely to accept sex work if they were drug-dependent and seven times more likely to accept if they had been day laborers for five or more years. Of those who accepted the offer of sex work, 86 percent denied being gay. The same percentage said they accepted the offer because they had not worked that day. Only one of the 450 laborers tested positive for HIV.

In Los Angeles County, health experts estimate that 48 percent of all AIDS cases are Latinos, chiefly men who have sex with men. The county saw a 40 percent rise in syphilis in 2005, and 42 percent of these cases were Latinos.

Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
Misunderstood.

Scrapheap

Re: day laborers and prostitution
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 08:03:26 PM »
One could only hope that some of these guys do turn gay and quit creating more mouths that they can't feed.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 08:05:29 PM »
are people born gay, or do they turn gay?
Misunderstood.

Scrapheap

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 08:12:34 PM »
are people born gay, or do they turn gay?

Yes

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 08:27:48 PM »
so what does the day laboror say when he gets home?

"Maria, i made 100 dollars today."

but does he tell her how?
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 02:30:34 AM »
[PC mode on] You fucking nazi racists, what the hell do you mean? Should people of Latin heritage be more inclined to go to prostitutes and/or have unprotected sex? And what do you mean should be wrong with them getting 20 kids? Aren't you willing to pay that with your taxes? Don't you have any human decency or solidarity in you? [/PC mode off]  ;)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 06:20:38 AM »
i don't have an opinion as to how they choose to live their lives.  though i should have a voice as to how my tax dollars are squandered.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 07:13:34 AM »
There are jerks in Sweden that actually have the opinion that I wrote above -- despite the high taxes.

Teejay

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 08:01:31 AM »
[PC mode on] You fucking nazi racists, what the hell do you mean? Should people of Latin heritage be more inclined to go to prostitutes and/or have unprotected sex? And what do you mean should be wrong with them getting 20 kids? Aren't you willing to pay that with your taxes? Don't you have any human decency or solidarity in you? [/PC mode off]  ;)

It is the culture Litigious, Latin American societies are very macho. Kind of culture where fathers take their teenage boys to brothels to lose their virginity. While the women are supposed to be chaste and virginal.  :-\

Southern Italy and Spain used to be like that, I think Greece too.

Litigious

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 08:02:35 AM »
They still are, I think.

Teejay

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 08:04:17 AM »

For the past three years, prevention workers have distributed safe sex booklets to day laborers at Kester and Oxnard streets in Van Nuys. The location is one of several where hundreds of day laborers congregate in the morning for work. On a Web site for gay and bisexual men in search of sex, the street corner is listed among potential sites.

Why aren't the LAPD busting their asses to jail? I thought California cops were real bad asses, they beat up Rodney King you know?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 08:59:43 AM »
was rodney king a day laborer?
Misunderstood.

Teejay

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 12:21:45 AM »