Educational

Author Topic: In pursuit of nightmares  (Read 682 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
In pursuit of nightmares
« on: March 30, 2007, 08:21:21 PM »
I had a lot of cheese to eat last night, and I had a nightmare about aliens landing outside the house, and being paralysed in bed and really uncomfortable.  I think it was indigestion from the cheese chewing up my gut, but I read up on cheese and dreaming and found this study, detailing the effects of different cheeses on sleep.  It didn't have a control group, but it's an amusing read, and tonight I have a large chunk of Stilton, and another of Brie, both of which are claimed to produce fucked-up dreams.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: In pursuit of nightmares
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 08:25:41 PM »
i had a dream that i was with the brittish army fighting the russians in the polar ice-cap.
it was a strategic dream, where i got to premature ejaculate with the wench at the end of it.
i woke up feeling so horny.

i had a provalone and mustard sandwich, before this dream, yesterday.
Misunderstood.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 08:38:28 PM »
I like to eat really moldy bread. It almost always gives me nasty dreams.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 09:00:56 PM »
I usually have a full-sweat, freak-out dream about twice a week. I do notice that certain foods correlate with bad dreams, but not cheeses. With me, it's fatty meats and probably a touch of digesting difficulty from that kind of food. I have them even without anything in my stomach, quite often, though.

If I wanted to guarantee an extremely disturbing dream, I would take codeine.* It's a sure thing for me.

I think I've seen "sleep disturbances" mentioned in the side effects of codeine. It may be one of the few drugs that does what it is expected to do, for me.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:48:57 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 09:04:39 PM »
I used to have violent nightmares a lot when I was at uni, and would have a lot of very vivid, fucked-up dreams in general, but all that stopped when I left uni, and now my dreams are crap.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 09:06:36 PM »
Back when I was taking Zoloft, all I had to do was miss a dosage and my dreams would have given Clive Barker a run for his money.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

duncvis

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 09:38:45 PM »
Substitute venlafaxine (Efexor) for Zoloft, and I'll say snap. escitalopram (Cipralex/Lexapro) took some beating for the first couple of weeks each dosage adjustment until my brain caught up an all.

Scrapheap

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 10:07:14 PM »
cough medicine does it for me  ;)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 05:16:57 AM »
Aw, it sounds like so much fun inside you people's heads. I barely even remember my dreams, and when I do, they fit a few boring archetypes.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 05:29:10 AM »
I'd say that you are lucky to sleep so boringly.
Most of my really bad dreams are merely re-living rough times, usually with some curious twist to the outcome, that my mind spins into the mix.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 05:33:28 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 05:34:40 AM »
 :-\ Could be true. I've just heard some cool accounts of people using whacked-out dreams for creative inspiration. But then I'm the kind of person who chases after intense experiences sometimes to the point of foolishness, so I haven't learned yet that peace is lucky. I don't know if I ever will - I keep waiting for it to happen and it doesn't.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 06:41:57 AM »
I didn't get any cheese-dreams last night.  :-(

Litigious

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 07:07:54 AM »
I could get nighmares from almost any medication. Ibuprofen sometimes is enough. Valium usually doesn't make have nightmares, probably while it decreases the REM-sleep.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 07:27:34 AM »

I think moldy rye bread might be very like LSD.  It might just be raw rye grain I'm thinking of though.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 10:50:32 AM »

I think moldy rye bread might be very like LSD.  It might just be raw rye grain I'm thinking of though.

You're right. It comes from a specific rye grain mold. I believe it is dangerous in that form.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:52:26 AM by DirtDawg »