Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 109618 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #2790 on: January 08, 2008, 11:49:29 AM »

Old JJ Cale from the seventies.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2791 on: January 08, 2008, 03:48:01 PM »
The continuing saga ...

RIAA Insanity-Suing People For Ripping CD's They Purchased    
Saturday, 29 December 2007
"With this past weeks announcement by Warner to release its entire catalog to Amazon in MP3 format with no Digital Rights Management, you would think that the organization that represents them, The Recording Industry Association of America , would begin changing its tune. However, in an inane display of hubris and futility, the RIAA presses on in it's tirade against the very consumers its partners rely on by (we're not making this up) suing individuals who merely rip CD's they've purchased legally.

The Washington Post reports on the case being fought by a Scottsdale Arizona man, Jeffrey Howell, who is being taken to task for ripping his own store bought CD's to his PC as a violation of copyright.

Now, in an unusual case in which an Arizona recipient of an RIAA letter has fought back in court rather than write a check to avoid hefty legal fees, the industry is taking its argument against music sharing one step further: In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.

If the RIAA is successful here, it is safe to say that the overwhelming majority of American music consumers will soon be classified as criminals under the law for attempting to use media they've legally purchased in a manner they desire.

Since a move such as this would clearly change the way in which "Fair Use" is interpreted, it wouldn't be much of a stretch for the RIAA to press further and demand that music be played back only at certain times of the day, or on certain brands of equipment. How so? Well given that such a ruling would basically be saying that consumers have no right to listen to music they've purchased in the manner they want to, it implies that the industry DOES have that right.

Given the weakness and inanity of this argument, we hope that the Federal Court system hands the RIAA their hat and sends them on their merry way. However, with the recent judgement we reported on against Jammie Thomas for $9,250 per song she was found violating the copyright of, we are not so sure.

editors note: To clarify the issue, it appears that much of the Washington Post story was poorly phrased. In a follow up by Endgadget, it has been made clear that the gentleman involved is being taken to task explicitly for sharing the aforementioned 2,000 recordings. Still, the RIAA is fighting the case on the grounds that merely ripping MP3's represents unauthorized copying in violation of copyright, so our gloom-and-doom scenario is still a valid interpretation."

Another story, same RIAA ballgame ...

An interesting legal blog with loads of relevant links.

... and an interesting tidbit from another netfriend/poster ...

"Bottom line is that as long as music is distributed digitally, it WILL be copied - over and over and over - and all the litigation in the world will be in vain.

If I hear a song, and remember it in my brain, and then sing it to someone, is it copying?  If I let someone else hear a CD playing on my stereo and they remember it forever, have I not given them a copy of it?  What if someone tells me they are about to purchase a given CD and I tell them I already have it and let them hear it at which point they determine they don't like it and decide not to buy it?

Then there is the record (CD) stores that let you preview songs on a CD to determine if you want to buy it.   Pandora is a similar situation.  Someone has to decide how many seconds of a song must be possessed before it becomes an illegal copy...

Where does it end? 

Now many producers and artists are longing for the LP because that was impossible to copy.  It could be recorded onto tape though and that was a hell of a lot more accurate copy than it would have been had it been recorded to CD.

All you have to do is think about it for a bit and there is only one obvious solution, eliminate the media.   The grim future of music is that it will all be sourced from the Internet and streamed.  The "Players" will simply pass the bits to your sound card with no way to make a copy or save a copy of it - ever.  Whenever you want to hear it, you'll have to re-stream it.  Soon you will no longer have a price per album or per song, but rather a simple pay every time you want to hear it.   A system like that would ensure that artists (or whoever is selling the music) get paid for every time a person listens to a song.  Probably be considered a real break-through. 

Everyone is so worried about copy protecting music that they have forgotten what music is -as evident by a mass acceptance of MP3 formats.   I asked one of my kids the other day if they had ever heard the group "Greatfull Dead" and they proudly replied "ya, I saw them live on my computer once!" "
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2792 on: January 08, 2008, 03:50:48 PM »

::)

duncvis

« Reply #2793 on: January 08, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »
Is it wrong that I hope the fucking cunts all get AIDS?

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #2794 on: January 08, 2008, 04:14:20 PM »
I actually really hope that the recording
industry continues to slit their wrists
this way. The more that they make
their products inaccessible, the more that
smaller players will have a chance.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2795 on: January 08, 2008, 04:18:32 PM »

Yes, AIDS may take too long.

:indeed:

Kosmonaut

« Reply #2796 on: January 09, 2008, 05:20:26 AM »
Sigur Ros - Saeglopur [Japanese Tour EP]

I purchased this recently.
I may rip it but im scared of getting sued.

Von now.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 07:50:12 AM by Kosmo »

duncvis

« Reply #2797 on: January 09, 2008, 10:21:19 AM »
Killing Joke - Pilgrimage

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2798 on: January 09, 2008, 03:16:43 PM »
Deep Heat - Tribal Drift
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #2799 on: January 09, 2008, 06:00:38 PM »
Plaid - Double Figure

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2800 on: January 09, 2008, 07:42:10 PM »

Yes, AIDS may take too long.

:indeed:
lead poisoning is better when properly administered
 :litigious: :litigious: :litigious: :litigious: :litigious:

Grateful Dead - Ripple
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

duncvis

« Reply #2801 on: January 09, 2008, 10:54:03 PM »
Planet Boelex - Misplaced EP

Kosmonaut

« Reply #2802 on: January 10, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »
Smiths - Rank

duncvis

« Reply #2803 on: January 10, 2008, 06:38:32 AM »
Icon of Coil - Serenity Is The Devil

Kosmonaut

« Reply #2804 on: January 10, 2008, 07:43:13 AM »
Sigur Ros - Live at the Icelandic Opera House 1999