Author Topic: New York City is a Shithole  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Gloriously big heap of shite
Re: New York City is a Shithole
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2020, 08:03:40 PM »
^ You just hate the English you potato wog!  :smarty:

26 + 6 = 1

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2020, 08:24:49 PM »
NYC is what it is.  I lived there for 4 months, drove me crazy, filled me with wonder and taught me a huge lesson in life being there on MY OWN.  I survived and learned to thrive thanks to that place.  The museums, bookstores, theaters and awesome people that I met made a difference to me.  Last time I was there was for a WhoCon.  Awesome.

My first trip to NYC was in 1999, for 3 days by myself, I flew over from London and did a stopover in Iceland on the way back. It was around October. That was also my first time in the US.

It really felt like being on a giant movie set. I could really imagine living there.

That to.  It is like a giant movie set.  The drama, the terror, the anxieties, the wonder, the energy.......my eyes were opened to a huge new world.  I probably could still find my way around there, using the subways and hiking the avenues.  If you can't find it in NYC, you won't find it anywhere! 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Conspiracy Nut

• Village idiot
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2020, 01:38:00 AM »
 It ain't what it used to be.
Kick me.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2020, 03:16:44 AM »
sometimes a little trolling keeps the left at bay but im not madangly

Explain to us why you post from the same IP.
Did Reggie just screw up concealing that, or was it an oversight here?

Guessing he screwed up. He's had a few IP numbers since he joined.

I'd say Reggie is McDangly and this latest persona is just a trolling effort.

I'm beginning to think that Reggie is McDangly returning with a new shtick.

I called this over a week ago without access to IP's.

This is a much better version of him, he can actually be funny from time to time.

Given how quiet this place is, he does liven things up a bit.

You did, and you deserve credit for it. Also, you're right - this is a better version of him and I'm not about to ban him unless he reverts to his old ways.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2020, 03:19:19 AM »
Re NYC, I like it. It's an amazing place. That said, I'd not want to live there. Were I to move to a bigger city, London would still be my choice.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2020, 07:08:55 AM »
Re NYC, I like it. It's an amazing place. That said, I'd not want to live there. Were I to move to a bigger city, London would still be my choice.

Having lived there once, I wouldn't do it again.  Nice to visit, but, after awhile it got on my nerves.  I prefer open spaces and a modicum of quiet for my mind and soul.  Maybe the city never sleeps, but, I do.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2020, 04:32:48 PM »
You need to be making a big whack of cash to live well in NYC or London. Or Sydney to be fair. On a more moderate income there are much better places to live.

London weather is depressing as well.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Conspiracy Nut

• Village idiot
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2020, 04:41:05 PM »
i make so much money that i cant but help but live in london
and i fucking hate it
its shit
Kick me.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2020, 07:02:53 PM »
i make so much money that i cant but help but live in london
and i fucking hate it
its shit

It's probably better than the camp us lefties will put you in. After the revolution.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2020, 10:06:09 PM »
You need to be making a big whack of cash to live well in NYC or London. Or Sydney to be fair. On a more moderate income there are much better places to live.

London weather is depressing as well.

That's the other thing about big cities......the cost of rent or owning a place is astronomical.  And the price of parking is another added thrill.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2020, 10:37:42 PM »
If I lived in NYC or London I probably wouldn't own a car.

I got by fine living in bigger cities than those without a car.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2020, 12:45:58 AM »
If I lived in NYC or London I probably wouldn't own a car.

I got by fine living in bigger cities than those without a car.

This is an argument against big cities, it incentivizes a dependency class.

I have a 4x4 truck, I can live a life largely independent of infrastructure.

:LMAO:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2020, 01:42:43 AM »
I lived in an enormous city (2nd biggest city in the world by some standards) with barely any public transport infrastructure for about 8 years (Jakarta). You'd probably like it there Pappy, for reasons I won't expand on. Or at least you would have liked it there during the early noughties. I walked a lot, getting home from work involved either a 20 minute walk or a 40 minute taxi ride, it was literally that bad. That lack of decent infrastructure was about the one thing that I didn't like about the place. In terms of public transport infrastructure Bangkok leaves it for dead, For getting around in Bangkok the best strategy is probably living in an apartment near a subway or skytrain station and only catching taxis very late at night.

I live well out in the burbs in Sydney, surrounded by bushland, and I quite like it. Public transport is largely non-existent though and 2 car families are the norm. NYC is one of the few western cities that I reckon I could live in without ever getting bored, but that is based on a couple of trips of a few days each.

I am a master at getting lost, I lack much of an innate sense of direction. I got lost on the subways in NYC, got off at some random station, walked up the stairs, stood in the middle of the street like a big fat stupid white tourist, looking at my giant fold-out tourist map of NYC, and then realized why I was the only white dude and people were looking at me funny. I was smack in the middle of Harlem.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2020, 06:14:36 AM »
If it were possible to easily get by without a car, definitely wouldn't own one.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2020, 06:17:15 AM »
If it were possible to easily get by without a car, definitely wouldn't own one.
Then again, if it were possible to easily get by without a home, would definitely live in a car.