Educational

Author Topic: Rape...20 yrs later? WTF?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Rape...20 yrs later? WTF?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 04:09:23 PM »
It's odd that he has been named, methinks.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 04:16:13 PM »
Journalism ethics protect the names of the alleged victim.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 05:06:34 PM »
Wondering how the prosecution is planning on proving rape.

He-said/she-said.  Unlikely a jury would convict.

20 year old He-said/she-said at that.  Unlikely to convict or not he will still have to mount a defense, have his photo posted all over the net, name dragged through the mud, spend time in jail, court and live the rest of his life with a lot of people thinking he did it regardless of the outcome.  The people behind all this deserve jail
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 05:21:47 PM »

20 year old He-said/she-said at that.  Unlikely to convict or not he will still have to mount a defense, have his photo posted all over the net, name dragged through the mud, spend time in jail, court and live the rest of his life with a lot of people thinking he did it regardless of the outcome.  The people behind all this deserve jail
It was annoying the article left people to do the math, instead of coming right out and saying this is about a couple of minors very similar in age. Since he was the younger one, it also seems rather convenient for her, that she claims it stopped when she was seventeen. Nothing about it reads right. Twelve is old enough to be the baby sitter, but he needed a sitter until fourteen doesn't sound right either.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 12:35:22 AM »
Honestly I hope he sues them all
Agreed.

Yes.

What happened to not guilty till proven to be guilty? Why is this man in jail? Makes no sense to me. Can he sue the system for this too?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 10:47:47 AM »

Depends on the jury. Get enough millennial SJW wankers on there and he'll be found guilty because of penis.

Good to have an expert opinion  :thumbup:

Offline MLA

• Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
Agreed.

Yes.

What happened to not guilty till proven to be guilty? Why is this man in jail? Makes no sense to me. Can he sue the system for this too?

We don't have to convict to put someone in jail.  They have to be offered bail in most non-capital cases, which he has been.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 03:25:25 AM »
Agreed.

Yes.

We don't have to convict to put someone in jail.  They have to be offered bail in most non-capital cases, which he has been.

But mugshot and name can be in the open before being proven guilty?

And is someone really in jail? Or in custody for a limited time during investigations? What if someone does not have the money to be bailed out? What if investigations take a long time? Will there be any kind of compensation? Or is a person just free game in this?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 03:39:45 AM »
Agreed.

Yes.

And is someone really in jail? Or in custody for a limited time during investigations? What if someone does not have the money to be bailed out? What if investigations take a long time? Will there be any kind of compensation? Or is a person just free game in this?

Actually I am interested in this too
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline MLA

• Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 09:04:04 AM »
Agreed.

Yes.

Yes, an arrest is public record.  Doesn't require a proving of guilt before the information is released.  They are remanded to custody until trial.  They have a constitutional right to a "speedy trial", but most of the time that's waived in order to adequately prepare.  In a serious case, you can wait for trial for more than a year.  If you are found not guilty there is no compensation.

It sounds worse than it really is.  The vast majority of people arrested are guilty of what they are being tried for.  The standard for an arrest is rather high.  Minor crimes usually have the bond set really low so everyone can get out.  The amount required to be released is directly related to flight risk.  You are paying money to ensure your attendance at trial if you can't provide what the court thinks is an adequate amount to ensure you show up then you stay put until you are adjudicated.

Is this very different from you neck of the woods?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 09:10:16 AM »
Agreed.

Yes.

Yes, an arrest is public record.  Doesn't require a proving of guilt before the information is released.  They are remanded to custody until trial.  They have a constitutional right to a "speedy trial", but most of the time that's waived in order to adequately prepare.  In a serious case, you can wait for trial for more than a year.  If you are found not guilty there is no compensation.

It sounds worse than it really is.  The vast majority of people arrested are guilty of what they are being tried for.  The standard for an arrest is rather high.  Minor crimes usually have the bond set really low so everyone can get out.  The amount required to be released is directly related to flight risk.  You are paying money to ensure your attendance at trial if you can't provide what the court thinks is an adequate amount to ensure you show up then you stay put until you are adjudicated.

I've no idea. I know that the wait times here are 14 weeks. As to cost and arrests and how readily available the arrested's details are available to the media? No idea.

What protections have such people got ONCE details are leaked and name is dragged through the mud PRIOR to being let off or the case being dismissed? (Obviously monetary compensation EVEN after the rigour of a trial on suing someone is often no real compensation to reputation)
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline MLA

• Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 09:14:34 AM »
Agreed.

Yes.

I've no idea. I know that the wait times here are 14 weeks. As to cost and arrests and how readily available the arrested's details are available to the media? No idea.

What protections have such people got ONCE details are leaked and name is dragged through the mud PRIOR to being let off or the case being dismissed?

Nothing.  An arrest is public record and even has to be disclosed on job applications if asked.  An arrest can ruin your life, even if you did nothing wrong.  We have the highest percentage of incarcerated citizens in the world.  Much higher than Russia or China.  5% of the world's population and 25% of its inmates.  We privatized the system so that giant corporations make shit-tons of money off the incarcerated, so they have armies of lobbyists pushing congress for stricter laws, longer mandatory sentencing, etc.  The system doesn't give a shit about the individual, there is money to be made!  If someone is arrested and can't find work they will eventually fall into a life of crime, get arrested, and make someone a profit.  It's the American Way.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 09:19:05 AM »
Agreed.

Yes.

What protections have such people got ONCE details are leaked and name is dragged through the mud PRIOR to being let off or the case being dismissed?

Nothing.  An arrest is public record and even has to be disclosed on job applications if asked.  An arrest can ruin your life, even if you did nothing wrong.  We have the highest percentage of incarcerated citizens in the world.  Much higher than Russia or China.  5% of the world's population and 25% of its inmates.  We privatized the system so that giant corporations make shit-tons of money off the incarcerated, so they have armies of lobbyists pushing congress for stricter laws, longer mandatory sentencing, etc.  The system doesn't give a shit about the individual, there is money to be made!  If someone is arrested and can't find work they will eventually fall into a life of crime, get arrested, and make someone a profit.  It's the American Way.

Holy shit!

I had no idea. I am dumbfounded. We have a 5 year criminal record here for all major crime. After that the crime is struck off the record if it is minor. Your crime is ONLY recorded IF you are convicted here. 

Offline MLA

• Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 09:20:49 AM »
Here you can have your record as a minor expunged or you get a one-time petition to the court to have one charge removed.  Other than that, it stays with you for life.  In my state the records are publicly accessible on the interwebz and include traffic violations.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 09:28:52 AM »
Here you can have your record as a minor expunged or you get a one-time petition to the court to have one charge removed.  Other than that, it stays with you for life.  In my state the records are publicly accessible on the interwebz and include traffic violations.

Damn!

Here your minor records effectively and automatically disappear on your 18th Birthday.
Major crimes after your 18th birthday stay on your record.
Due to privacy laws, the details will not be posted around BUT may be shown in public court records and may even make it into papers.