Educational

Author Topic: racism in education  (Read 1631 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
racism in education
« on: January 04, 2007, 12:18:32 PM »
here in california (possibly the entire US), we have compulsory black history month in our educational system.

this to me is blatant PC correctness and racism. 

why don't they have an Irish history month.  German history month (excluding the world wars).  what about French history month.  or even a swedish cowardly PC bigotted month?

i mean i have no problem learning about the contributions by black folk in our countries history.  but why can't it be as part of the normal studies.  if i were black, then i would be offended that the history of my people were made to be seperate from the history of the rest of the cultures.
Misunderstood.

thepeaguy

Re: racism in education
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 12:23:51 PM »
here in california (possibly the entire US), we have compulsory black history month in our educational system.

why don't they have an Irish history month.  German history month (excluding the world wars).  what about French history month.  or even a swedish cowardly PC bigotted month?

i mean i have no problem learning about the contributions by black folk in our countries history.  but why can't it be as part of the normal studies.  if i were black, then i would be offended that the history of my people were made to be seperate from the history of the rest of the cultures.

I say the same about Autistic Pride Day and any such related nonsense.

What I don't get is that if people want acceptance from the society they are discriminated against, why do they continue to highlight their differences? "Olos, hay, I'm black, and my ancestors have been raped, abused, etc..."

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 03:34:52 PM »

Do they tell you why this is?

A theory that went through my mind is that in all honesty, the history of the blacks differs from that of the Irish or the Swedes in the US. The latter two weren't kidnapped from their homes to serve white people for the rest of their natural lives.

I agree that it's a very PC thing to do. Racist I'm not sure about. Maybe it's someone's guilty consciousness talking?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 04:48:12 PM »
When I went to school in the dark ages We never had that problem.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 05:00:58 PM »

Do they tell you why this is?

A theory that went through my mind is that in all honesty, the history of the blacks differs from that of the Irish or the Swedes in the US. The latter two weren't kidnapped from their homes to serve white people for the rest of their natural lives.

I agree that it's a very PC thing to do. Racist I'm not sure about. Maybe it's someone's guilty consciousness talking?
or the african tribles traded their strongest for beads and baubles
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 05:08:10 PM »
Yes, they always "forget" to mention that the blacks themselves held slaves in Africa and sold their "brothers" as slaves to the whites as well...

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 05:48:44 PM »
Absolutely, you are both correct, but two wrongs don't make a right.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 06:35:11 PM »
did you know that the standard of living for a black person (living on the dole; welfare), here in america, is exponentially greater than their distant relatives working hard, in africa today.

i wonder if the black people here would rather trade their history in america and much of europe to live like the typical person in africa lives today.

this is just conjecture, i am not espousing racist drivel.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 06:45:31 PM »
It's an interesting question, McJ. I don't know. Let me ask you a question in return: do you think the living standard in the US for anyone on welfare would be as good as it is, without the slave trade?

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 06:53:53 PM »
It's an interesting question, McJ. I don't know. Let me ask you a question in return: do you think the living standard in the US for anyone on welfare would be as good as it is, without the slave trade?
dunno!

i am sure that you are referring to slave labor creating much of americas wealth.  though i doubt that, what about parts of europe?
i do agree that the tribes stupidly sold their strongest into slaver, thus killing the chances to reap harvests (dispite droughts).

america has gained much of its wealth do to its freedoms and its innovation.  i doubt the slave trade had all that much of an effect, especially since trade was not a global force back then (barring slave trade, of course).  it was the dutch who became wealthy off of slave trade, right?
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 07:07:56 PM »
The Dutch earned money, yes, and the 'mericans gained workforce, and it's the workforce part I'm interested in. The Dutch probably got no lasting economical effects but I'm guessing.

I have no idea of how much the slaves contributed to the American economy but I doubt the contribution was insignificant. Certainly the African-Americans of today will argue that their contribution throughout your country's history was anything but. I'm not arguing anything here; I'm just returning the favor by asking another hypothetical that can't be answered.

Oh, and as for tribes selling their own, it wasn't always that easy. Many tribes did not approve of slavery, at all.

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 04:46:58 AM »
The sad thing is that you can never trust humans, not even "your own kind". There were native Americans who voluntarily fought for the South in the Civil War and helped to capture escaped slaves... :(

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 05:06:34 AM »
People are willing to overlook the reverse racism(kind of a stupid term, i know) while we pay back an imaginary collective guilt debt created by our ancestors that we've never met.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Scrapheap

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 02:55:53 PM »
If you think this is bad, have you heard about the Hispanic magnet school in L.A.?? They only teach in Spanish, AND they teach in history class that the Southwest U.S. is the rightfull territory of Mexico. There's also rumors that Latino supremacy is being taught there as well. This all of course, is paid for by the American taxpayer.  :-\

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 03:22:51 PM »
If you think this is bad, have you heard about the Hispanic magnet school in L.A.?? They only teach in Spanish, AND they teach in history class that the Southwest U.S. is the rightfull territory of Mexico. There's also rumors that Latino supremacy is being taught there as well. This all of course, is paid for by the American taxpayer.  :-\

Really? :o Is it even legal for them to do that?

- Albert Einstein