Author Topic: IQ and Testing  (Read 1417 times)

Graelwyn

IQ and Testing
« on: January 03, 2007, 11:51:30 PM »
I was curious as to whether anyone else has had IQ testing done, either as a child or adult, and if so, how do you rate the validity of these tests? What do you think they measure. My ex used to think IQ very important on the one hand, but on the other hand he was constantly refuting its cultural biases. I believe it measures only the basics you learn in school and if such tests are to be valid, they should cover more areas of intelligence as well as be multi cultural.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: IQ and Testing
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 11:58:08 PM »
i scored a 159 when i was a child.
i have always done very well on iq type puzzles.

however, i wonder if the drug abuse of my youth and age has had any affect on that number.
Misunderstood.

Graelwyn

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 12:04:56 AM »
They say it lessens as we get older anyway, unfortunately. They say drugs do affect intelligence, but I suppose it depends on the type of drug and how much you used. What scale was that using? I think I was tested using Wechsler as a kid and was 140s, as an adult, I got 155. I wont bother checking it again now as my thinking isn't always so clear due to thyroid issues.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 01:24:30 AM »
I had testing done about two years ago and scored 120 on both Verbal and Perfomance IQs.
Real life experience can count for a lot, I think, and IQ testing doesn't take that into consideration.
Since having ECT, my IQ has probably dropped by about 20 points. What a dumbass thing to do. :-[
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Litigious

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 05:59:40 AM »
Unfortunately I was never tested as a child. That would have been against the Swedish equality principle, at least back in the 70s, when I was a child. I have been tested as an adult, though, twice by a psychologist at the hospital where I got my diagnosis and one time by the military before the service that I never did there. I've also done some online tests. Only once have I scored under 130, and that was when I was 24 and was in mental ward for a short period. I got 126 on the Binet scale. I was very depressed and on 3 or 4 antipsychotic drugs at the same time. My top result was about 145 (the scale wasn't that precise), but my average result is about 135.

My verbal intelligence is my strongest, though I'm aware that I do some spelling and writing mistakes in English here every now and then. I'm better at German, since there are more exact rules (of course  ;)) in that language and especially spelling and grammar are more logical than in English. My verbal "IQ" (it's not a "real" IQ, since it's only a part of the whole IQ) is in fact about 200, though except for Swedish, I can only speak English and German fluently. I can understand Norwegian and Danish, but so can most Swedes, especially Norwegian is very similar to Swedish. I can read Dutch pretty well and understand many words and sometimes shorter sentences in Latin, Italian, Spanish and French.

My weakness is spatial intelligence. I only score about 100 on those tests.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 08:22:01 AM »
I think it was something like 135 math, 150 verbal when I was a kid, but haven't had it tested recently.  The closest thing to an I.Q. test I've had done recently was the GRE, which is kind of the same thing (a standardized test with cultural biases that people put oo much importance on).  I got a 680 math/performance and 600 verbal- because I hardly studied verbal at all and crammed like hell for the math.

BTW, I've said it before, I'll say it again:  My typing skills reflect my coordination, not my intelligence.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Graelwyn

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 09:26:16 AM »
I am highest on verbal too. I think my poorest was spatial actually. But I also believe one can 'learn' to do better on IQ tests by doing a lot of them. My ex managed to improve his IQ score by 10 points doing this. Also, things like crosswords and other puzzles can help improve this. I did the MENSA test for my score, but I couldn't be bothered to join. It didn't interest me. I just wanted to prove to myself that I was as intelligent as people had claimed I was all my life. I was only tested as a child because my headmaster had told my parents I was probably below average. I was destructive in class, and would disobey rules and when I had finished my work, I would go around telling the other kids how to do theirs lol. So my father had me see a child psychologist to thumb his nose at the headmaster.  :green:

thepeaguy

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 09:40:49 AM »
IQ tests -- some fine toilet paper to wipe my arse with.

Litigious

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 09:46:54 AM »
I am highest on verbal too. I think my poorest was spatial actually. But I also believe one can 'learn' to do better on IQ tests by doing a lot of them. My ex managed to improve his IQ score by 10 points doing this. Also, things like crosswords and other puzzles can help improve this. I did the MENSA test for my score, but I couldn't be bothered to join. It didn't interest me. I just wanted to prove to myself that I was as intelligent as people had claimed I was all my life. I was only tested as a child because my headmaster had told my parents I was probably below average. I was destructive in class, and would disobey rules and when I had finished my work, I would go around telling the other kids how to do theirs lol. So my father had me see a child psychologist to thumb his nose at the headmaster.  :green:

Sounds a lot like me except that I was considered intelligent and a trouble-maker.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 09:49:14 AM »
I didn't make very much trouble.  You have to be at school to do that.  I attended maybe nine years' worth of school, k-12.

Then again, I got expelled in first grade.  That was before I started skipping a lot.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Graelwyn

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 09:52:46 AM »

Sounds a lot like me except that I was considered intelligent and a trouble-maker.

I was by most, but this particular headmaster took a real dislike to me. I was only 9, by the way. And my mother tells me one teacher at the school actually came up to me one day and shouted in my ear that he didn't like me, then left me crying outside by the road outside. My parents were furious.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 11:12:02 AM »

I was by most, but this particular headmaster took a real dislike to me. I was only 9, by the way. And my mother tells me one teacher at the school actually came up to me one day and shouted in my ear that he didn't like me, then left me crying outside by the road outside. My parents were furious.

That's evil.  I would want to bite his head off and spit down his neck if he did that to my daughter.  Was this a public school?

Litigious

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 11:26:53 AM »

That's evil.  I would want to bite his head off and spit down his neck if he did that to my daughter.  Was this a public school?

One teacher hated me because I defended myself against the bullies. I was also 9 years old. But he was known as an arsehole. Another pupil in the school once threatened him with a knife in the classroom, which at that time was extremely rare at a small Swedish school on the countryside. I'm like 99.999% sure that he deserved it. He didn't even dare to report it to the police...

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 11:37:39 AM »
I remember in the 7th grade, I had the superindent choke Me for just brushing up against Him, in front of everybody that was in the hallway saw it.

I have a average IQ 100 to 110.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 12:27:03 PM »
I didn't make very much trouble.  You have to be at school to do that.  I attended maybe nine years' worth of school, k-12.

Then again, I got expelled in first grade.  That was before I started skipping a lot.
will you please tell us how someone gets expelled from the first grade?
Misunderstood.