Educational

Author Topic: IQ and Testing  (Read 1418 times)

Litigious

Re: IQ and Testing
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 12:33:54 PM »
I was expelled from 3th grade for bashing some bullies' teeth and noses...

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 12:35:53 PM »
fist to cuffs, or did you use a lead pipe?
Misunderstood.

thepeaguy

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 12:37:49 PM »

I've beaten up some prick once because he kept using me as a punching bag.

Unfortunately, his chums saw it fit to give me hell. Hence my early leave of Secondary School.

Litigious

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 12:58:16 PM »
fist to cuffs, or did you use a lead pipe?

I used my fists. But after that I promised my parents not to fight any more, and I kept that promise almost through the rest of my school time, which I now regret. I got bullied again, and I know damned well that I would have been feeling better today if I had gotten expelled again or even lost some teeth myself instead of taking shit that I didn't deserve from those creeps.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 02:01:58 PM »
Last time I was tested was three years ago. My results were 121 verbal, 90 performance...107 overall  :-[

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 02:16:50 PM »
Last time I was tested was three years ago. My results were 121 verbal, 90 performance...107 overall  :-[
wow, and you still got a 3.75.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 02:27:22 PM »
What is "performance" by IQ testing?  ???

Graelwyn

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 03:51:28 PM »

I was by most, but this particular headmaster took a real dislike to me. I was only 9, by the way. And my mother tells me one teacher at the school actually came up to me one day and shouted in my ear that he didn't like me, then left me crying outside by the road outside. My parents were furious.

That's evil.  I would want to bite his head off and spit down his neck if he did that to my daughter.  Was this a public school?

Not sure what you call them in the USA, but it was the only state school here I went to...ie, it was a free school. All the others I went to had fees to pay. I was badly bullied at all of my schools, but that was the only school where a teacher was so cruel. I hadn't remembered until my mother told me over xmas, and boy did that sting. My mother says she was furious and marched in and told him he shouldn't be teaching. And I believe she reminded him of the incident some years later when she ran into him in a store. She doesn't let people get away with things like that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 03:53:43 PM by Graelwyn »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 04:05:47 PM »
The last guy to bully me at school I beat up quite thoroughly before the teacher managed to come between me and the bully. I was thrown out of the class and had a nice long chat with some forgotten official.

This was in prep school, what we call the gymnasium in Sweden. He never bothered me again. Until then, I had taken verbal and physical bullying for more than ten years, never really fighting back, never really doing anything beyond avoiding any troublemaker I could and fighting only when I had no other options.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »

I was by most, but this particular headmaster took a real dislike to me. I was only 9, by the way. And my mother tells me one teacher at the school actually came up to me one day and shouted in my ear that he didn't like me, then left me crying outside by the road outside. My parents were furious.

That's evil.  I would want to bite his head off and spit down his neck if he did that to my daughter.  Was this a public school?

Not sure what you call them in the USA, but it was the only state school here I went to...ie, it was a free school. All the others I went to had fees to pay. I was badly bullied at all of my schools, but that was the only school where a teacher was so cruel. I hadn't remembered until my mother told me over xmas, and boy did that sting. My mother says she was furious and marched in and told him he shouldn't be teaching. And I believe she reminded him of the incident some years later when she ran into him in a store. She doesn't let people get away with things like that.

Good for your mother.  She's right that he should not be teaching anyone.  I would have put my daughter in a fee-paying school if I could have found one for her if a teacher did that.  Over here, we call those private schools and we call the state-sponsored non-fee-paying schools public schools, but I know public schools are different where you live. 

I was with my daughter last Sunday in a local restaurant when I saw the teacher who had abused her when she was in first and second grades.  I thought about confronting her, but I did not want to cause a scene and upset my daughter, so I decided to ignore her.  My daughter never noticed her, so I thought it was best to keep it that way.  My daughter often talks about this teacher now and the things that she did to her, even though she told us almost nothing while the abuse was happening.  Now she talks about wanting to make the teacher go talk to a judge because she thinks people tell the truth to judges.  I told her that it is too late for that now, but if anything ever happens to her again, she should tell us right away and then it would not be too late.

I tried to find a private school that would meet her needs after that happened, but I could not find one anywhere near us that would be appropriate, so I begged the director of special education for the school district to move her from that school to any other public school and she did.  It looks like my daughter will be going to a private school next year for sixth grade, with the school district's support.  It will be about an hour's drive away from home, but it does look like it will be able to work better than any of the public middle schools in our school district.  The middle school years are difficult even for typical children, I think.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2007, 04:45:48 PM »
The last guy to bully me at school I beat up quite thoroughly before the teacher managed to come between me and the bully. I was thrown out of the class and had a nice long chat with some forgotten official.

This was in prep school, what we call the gymnasium in Sweden. He never bothered me again. Until then, I had taken verbal and physical bullying for more than ten years, never really fighting back, never really doing anything beyond avoiding any troublemaker I could and fighting only when I had no other options.

I slapped one girl in her face who bullied me in sixth grade and I kicked one girl and one boy who bullied me in ninth grade, but I was always so scared that I would get into trouble in school that I put up with a lot before I retaliated.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007, 05:04:48 PM »

Callaway, last Sunday, you did the right thing, I think. As much as you probably needed to gouge out her eyes, it would not have been good for your daughter to see her at all. Leaving that teacher in the past is best for her.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007, 05:42:03 PM »

Callaway, last Sunday, you did the right thing, I think. As much as you probably needed to gouge out her eyes, it would not have been good for your daughter to see her at all. Leaving that teacher in the past is best for her.

Thanks DirtDawg.  My husband thought it was best that I ignored her too.  I pointed her out to him so he could help me make sure our daughter did not see her if they happened to come near, but we talked about it later.  He said that nothing good would have come from me confronting her.  Our daughter has a difficult time controlling her behavior in restaurants as it is.  To see the teacher would have made it much more difficult for her.

ozymandias

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 06:15:28 PM »
I took an IQ test as part of some program to plan what we wanted to and what we were best suited for to do.  This was 30-31 years ago and the best I can remember was the test score was in the 140-150 range.  Don't remember what it said I was best suited for.  But, since I didn't have a clue then as to what I wanted to do.  It doesn't matter!  My best recollection was that Nursing WAS NOT in the cards back then. ::)  Or for that matter being a stay home dad and househusband! :laugh:

All I know is, I'm doing a helluva lot better than "people" thought I would be doing! 8)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 06:27:38 PM »

Thanks DirtDawg.  My husband thought it was best that I ignored her too.  I pointed her out to him so he could help me make sure our daughter did not see her if they happened to come near, but we talked about it later.  He said that nothing good would have come from me confronting her.  Our daughter has a difficult time controlling her behavior in restaurants as it is.  To see the teacher would have made it much more difficult for her.
wow, you probably did the right thing.  i don't know if i could have contained myself.
Misunderstood.