I don't drive
1 (5.9%)
Doesn't apply
0 (0%)
Bewbs
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 12:43:07 PM

Author Topic: Back in or pull in?  (Read 950 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Back in or pull in?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 02:06:24 PM »
I can parallel park just fine. Not so well at first, but when I started driving it was difficult to NOT learn to parallel park, because some places had only parallel parking.
I have been driving for about forty eight years, though. I have had some practice.

Any amount of backing up/reversing is far easier with the back up camera built into my car that shows everything going on behind me. Kind of difficult to get used to the "fish eye,"  super wide angle perspective, but it is great once you are used to how it shows a rear view image. STILL NEED to use my mirrors, though.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »
Rear view camera is kinda awesome. Makes the impossible, ever so slightly less impossible. Only had it in one car though.

I won't have it in my next car. I finally found the car of my dreams, and it's a 1940s Tatra T87. I found it on the internet, completely in ruin. It's now being rebuilt in a garage, while the mechanic scours Eastern Europe for all the missing parts.

I've been waiting for months to get my hands on it, and it looks like I might have to wait a few more for it to be ready :thumbdn:

It should be worth the wait though. I think it's one of the coolest cars I've ever seen.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2015, 07:26:27 PM »
If ever a car needed a back-up camera, it's that one.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 09:18:39 PM »
Rear view camera is kinda awesome. Makes the impossible, ever so slightly less impossible. Only had it in one car though.

I won't have it in my next car. I finally found the car of my dreams, and it's a 1940s Tatra T87. I found it on the internet, completely in ruin. It's now being rebuilt in a garage, while the mechanic scours Eastern Europe for all the missing parts.

I've been waiting for months to get my hands on it, and it looks like I might have to wait a few more for it to be ready :thumbdn:

It should be worth the wait though. I think it's one of the coolest cars I've ever seen.

I do not recognize the car, off hand.

What is it and, more to the point, why does it interest you?

I love older cars, but other than appreciating a "piece of art" I have to feel a sort of connection to an old car before I get all trippy over it.
DO you have a connection?

Just curious. AS I said, I generally love these old things, but to own one would be like following a kind of magic spell.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 09:11:23 AM »

I do not recognize the car, off hand.

What is it and, more to the point, why does it interest you?

I love older cars, but other than appreciating a "piece of art" I have to feel a sort of connection to an old car before I get all trippy over it.
DO you have a connection?

Just curious. AS I said, I generally love these old things, but to own one would be like following a kind of magic spell.

It's a Tatra t87, and it's a very famous old Czechoslovakian car. It was beautifully designed, and looked like something out of Thunderbirds, at a time when everything else being built in Eastern Europe was ugly, and just too practical.

It's strange to explain why I have an attachment to it. When I was a young girl, I had my bedroom decorated with lots of posters of steam trains, vintage cars, and footballers, with model airplanes hanging from the ceiling. You know, just your typical young girls bedroom :LOL: My favourite car poster was a strange car, who's name I didn't know, but my dad told me all about it, and he really thought it was cool too. I had a big train set, and he eventually found me a model of the car, and put it on my train set.

As I got older, my relationship with my dad turned to crap, and then he died.

I was always aware of the car and thought it was cool, but had never given any thought to actually trying to get one. Way too much bother to get it imported to Britain, and then too much bother to get parts.

Now I've ended up in Hungary, right next door to the old Czechoslovakia, and I started to realize that I could get one if I put my mind to it.

So.... To cut a long story short, I don't know if I bought it because I've always thought it was cool, or because it reminds me of a time long gone, when I loved my parents, and we were a happy family.

Obviously there are a lot of really cool cars, most of them way more sensible, so I guess it's probably been a largely sentimental buy. I live way up in the hills on the edge of Budapest, where I regularly get snowed in, so it's probably not a sensible year-round car. I'll probably end up getting a boring 4x4, and just bringing the Tatra out on nice days. Still, It will make me happy knowing it's there in the garage.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2015, 09:17:07 AM »
It's a beautiful car. The sweet and bitter story behind your longing for it too.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Online Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2015, 06:42:01 PM »
It's nice being able to just drive away especially when I am pulling the trailer

A lot of people have no clue about how to back in a trailer. Huge fun to watch them try, sometimes. :zoinks:

Still learning the trick of backing a boat trailer into tight spaces, but I think I am catching on pretty quickly.

I hate people watching they always want to give advise and tell you how easy it is but always back down when you offer to let them do it.  I have always had good spacial awareness and backing up in to tight spaces came fairly easy to me even in fairly large trucks  but trailers can be a real bitch,  I'm fairly good at it now but it took a lot of practice
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »
It's nice being able to just drive away especially when I am pulling the trailer

A lot of people have no clue about how to back in a trailer. Huge fun to watch them try, sometimes. :zoinks:

Still learning the trick of backing a boat trailer into tight spaces, but I think I am catching on pretty quickly.

I hate people watching they always want to give advise and tell you how easy it is but always back down when you offer to let them do it.  I have always had good spacial awareness and backing up in to tight spaces came fairly easy to me even in fairly large trucks  but trailers can be a real bitch,  I'm fairly good at it now but it took a lot of practice

I am still at the point where I only show up early enough that it is pretty empty.  I can get it down and in in one try about half the time, and the other half I need to pull up and start over again at least once.

Online Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 02:36:56 PM »

I am still at the point where I only show up early enough that it is pretty empty.  I can get it down and in in one try about half the time, and the other half I need to pull up and start over again at least once.

The worst is if you haven't been driving with it for awhile and your out of practice,  I will almost always cut the wheel the wrong way at least once
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2015, 02:36:29 AM »

There's actually not much to it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2015, 02:39:22 AM »

That's a pretty cool one, yes. I wonder what it's like to drive.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 09:11:49 AM »

That's a pretty cool one, yes. I wonder what it's like to drive.

Apparently difficult:LOL:

A couple of quotes I've read are, "drives like a motorboat," and "driving a Tatra produces the uneasy exhilaration which may be got from shampooing a lion."  :green:

I don't think I'll be doing too much speeding in it.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 01:25:57 PM »
Went to back in last night  Saw what I thought was a bunny hopping away, Decided to pull in so I could catch it in my headlights.  No bunny,  Opossum.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2015, 03:25:08 PM »
It is a beautiful car Butterflies.  8)

You have to follow your dreams.

From the time I was little I always wanted a VW Karmann Ghia. Why? Probably because I am a spaz, and we used to pass one every day on the way to school. :autism:

When I turned 16, that was the car I had to have...and did. It was a nightmare of a car I held on to for 10 years, somehow hoping to work all the bugs out of it.

Never did, something went wrong with it every week I think, my mother refused to ride in it, thought it was haunted (another story)...the only good thing about it was that it really looked beautiful setting in the driveway. When I finally got rid of it, I was still a little sad to let the dream go, but relieved. :LOL:

Hoping you have a better experience.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »
It is a beautiful car Butterflies.  8)

You have to follow your dreams.

From the time I was little I always wanted a VW Karmann Ghia. Why? Probably because I am a spaz, and we used to pass one every day on the way to school. :autism:

When I turned 16, that was the car I had to have...and did. It was a nightmare of a car I held on to for 10 years, somehow hoping to work all the bugs out of it.

Never did, something went wrong with it every week I think, my mother refused to ride in it, thought it was haunted (another story)...the only good thing about it was that it really looked beautiful setting in the driveway. When I finally got rid of it, I was still a little sad to let the dream go, but relieved. :LOL:

Hoping you have a better experience.

Did you have one with an air-cooled engine?

The sound of the air-cooled engines of VW always makes me smile.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!