Educational

Author Topic: First Job  (Read 1001 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: First Job
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 09:11:20 AM »
Part-time work in a library when I was 16, after volunteering at a different library over the summer.  First full-time job is the one I have now!
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 12:25:51 PM »
I guess the next question in this thread should be "what was the first job that you liked?"
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 07:14:44 PM »
Art director for a small press publishing house.  :)
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 01:33:45 PM »
^That's a pretty cool job.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 02:42:07 PM »
The pay was shite, though. I couldn't live off it. It was a small company just starting up.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 05:50:17 PM »
I guess the next question in this thread should be "what was the first job that you liked?"
I liked my first job at the time.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 05:51:31 PM »

Fair enough. I didn't particularly like my first jobs but I liked the money.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 06:23:35 PM »

Fair enough. I didn't particularly like my first jobs but I liked the money.

Yeah, money probably had something to do with that, because I didn't actually need to work and the money wasn't tied to any responsibilities.  :apondering:
:gopher:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 06:44:43 PM »
I didn't particularly like my first jobs but I liked the money.
Sometimes security is sufficient to highly affect people to enjoy what they do. Once had a job didn't like even though the work was enjoyable enough, but the pay was crap, the boss was crap, and it wasn't something to be proud to say I do. Last position was enjoyable with adequate pay and sense of personal pride, but easily gave it up for one with more job security. Sometimes simply liking the work isn't enough to really like it. Current position is by far the most liked, but not only to liking the work.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:52:31 PM by Jack »

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 05:51:56 AM »
I honestly liked all of them in their own way, minus the internship (which I wasn't paid for, but I sure did get worked like an employee).

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 09:22:17 AM »
Somewhere in all this, the memory surfaced that my first job was as a paper boy delivering newspapers to folks at 5 am.  But, this was a job I could do before I turned 16.  16 is the earliest one can work in a factory or other businesses in the states.   :GA:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »
Somewhere in all this, the memory surfaced that my first job was as a paper boy delivering newspapers to folks at 5 am.  But, this was a job I could do before I turned 16.  16 is the earliest one can work in a factory or other businesses in the states.   :GA:
What makes a paper route an exception to that rule? Actually with the right forms and approvals, the age is fifteen, but yes standard is 16 and not sure what makes a paper route any different.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »
What makes a paper route an exception to that rule? Actually with the right forms and approvals, the age is fifteen, but yes standard is 16 and not sure what makes a paper route any different.

This was back around 1970, so kids 12 and maybe a tad younger, if they had a bike or a parent would drive them around could do a paper route.  MAybe they changed the rule or what.  It's been 45 years since then.  I haven't seen kids delivering papers in a very long time.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 09:46:57 PM »

This was back around 1970, so kids 12 and maybe a tad younger, if they had a bike or a parent would drive them around could do a paper route.  MAybe they changed the rule or what.  It's been 45 years since then.  I haven't seen kids delivering papers in a very long time.
That makes sense.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 06:41:54 PM »

fixed :P